Wanting to get my A/C working...

Ok, so ever since I’ve bought my 240, the A/C hasn’t worked. It isn’t bothering me now, but having manual windows and no sunroof, I really don’t want to have to reach all the way to the other side of the car to open the passenger window each and every time…

I pressed my A/C button and the thing doesn’t even light up…

Where should I be looking?

group buy? lol mine doesn’t work either i just sit on a bad of ice

First of all is it low on charge? because the compressor won’t turn on when its low on charge.

Then check if the relay even being powered up? Start by checking fuses. Then check for power at the relay. Then pull off the connector at the compressor and check for power. Most likely just low on charge, the o-rings leak slowly over years. Plus depending on how old your A/C system is, maybe evap or accumulator is leaking or something. First thing you have to do is evac and recharge then check for leaks. That is if it isn’t an electrical problem.

i have same problem, lol. My first 240 has the same problem also.

Would going over the A/C lines at night with a UV light show anything?

You can only see leaks if dye has been added to the system, and its harder to see the leaks with a UV light if you don’t have the special yellow tinted glasses. I’d recommend just taking the car to a shop. Technically you have to be licensed to do any A/C work as it is, and even if you find a leak you have to fill the system to make sure you sealed the leak. unless you have a vacuuming or filling machine you’re gonna have to pay for that.

Just my $0.02

True… But being a poor college kid, it might be cheaper to try and fix it myself…

As for being licensed to do A/C work, not really. The only thing you need to have a license for is to BUY refrigerant. Not that CT Redtek stuff, but real R-134a.

Lets say everything is golden and its just electrical, yet from previous documentations, the vehicle’s A/C had been evacuated. Would our cars need to be retrofitted for R-134a or will the stock R-12 setup handle it?

no… you have to have an a/c license to work with 134a. whats to stop the next guy from thinking he knows what he’s doing and dumping a couple pounds of freon into the air?

Are you serious? That’s not what I’m learning in school… I’m in AST right now, I just got my O.D.P. card a few months ago… All this license entitles us to do is to purchase refrigerant…

yeah, i think you’re right. hearsay always led me to believe that you needed another certification for working with refrigerant systems on mobile systems, but I can’t find any real information of use on the gov’t website to confirm that.

I think the only ‘real’ certification other than the O.D.P. certificate is the red seal/certified technician certification (lolwut?)

Yeah … dont be cheap with that kind of stuff… the wrong person sees you playing around with that stuff and you could be left with a nice fine.

yeah the fine is pretty high too, im guilty off letting that stuff into the air i ripped out the ac lines on both my 240’s

Kengi, what’s Avante charge for an A/C inspection? Just trying to get a rough figure… I might just send it to a shop… Manual windows and no sunroof are killing me…