"How Do You Earn a Living" sticky

I sell ambulances and fire trucks. The sirens go woo woooooo! I enjoy the biz, but sales like these have their majors ups :tspry: along with the downs :tif:. 95% of the time these are very complex and long term sales.

Edit: and exhausting

Wow, guess it’s time to update this…

Now working at Anastasi Trucking as an Estimator / Project Manager. We do excavation, underground utilities, paving, concrete, etc, For large commercial jobs. I couldn’t be happier with what I am doing now, company truck, phone, health,401k…

Making double what I did at Cortese, and still do construction work on the side.

I’m a developer/sysadmin for Our Hometown. We host sites and ad services for local/regional newspapers. I am responsible for almost the whole stack. Our sites are Drupal based, modified to handle our needs and scale with a number of custom modules. I also maintain our production CentOS servers that have been performance tuned.

I also developed an iPad app that we now offer our customers, one is currently available in the iTunes store. I’m in the process of developing a matching Android phone and tablet app.

I am an Account Manager for Rexel Electric. I sell commercial and industrial electrical equipment. I have been based in the industrial markets, but as of Jan 1st I will be moving to the contracting markets.

It is a pretty solid job with lots of perks, but in no way an easy way to make your $$.

Lucas Lorentz
Astronics Luminescent System Inc.
Manufacturing Engineer
lucas.lorentz@astronics.com

10 years in the industry with a Bachelors in Mechancial and Masters in Industrial. I specialize in the creation, implementation, and sustainment of production processes, manufacturing cells, design for manufacturability, and product improvement. My area of expertise touches heavily on Lean Manufacturing and Just-In-Time strategies for building complex electronic assemblies.

As a secondary role, I support legacy programs for retrofit/spares contracts as well as product evaluation and analysis.

This is a great thread for some sources. I wrote down some numbers… :slight_smile:

I sell interweb pages :slight_smile:

Recently started at Ingram Micro… we’ll see how it goes.

ive been working for the nydocs for about 4 years now

Oh no kidding!! Every time you fill an order for Deltex Electric I’m more than likely installing what you send out! Keep those ridgid pipe orders on the light side! Shit is heavy!!

That is what I have been told, they have no boundary’s with personal life, I worked briefly with a former network admin/engineer from there who was one of our onsite Network guys at BCBS.
They are a huge php company, in addition they have a big Zimbra presence and I know they use Netapp.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Realized I never replied thought I did…

Glenn Brown
Systems and Storage Administrator
Healthnow NY / Blue Cross Blue Shield
brown.glenn@healthnow.org

Unfortunately can’t get you deals on health insurance.

Do you still outsource some of your IT to Inergex?

Yes, Yahoo actually purchased Zimbra in 2007 and then sold it to VMWare.

Yahoo uses NetAPP and Hitachi but I prefer the NetAPP support and hardware over Hitachi.

Brian Haenszel
Info Security Analyst
SAIC

I do Certification and Accreditation of a variety USG computer systems. Initially it was systems that were in direct support of the war fighter etc for a number of years, then did some prototype/development systems(“secure” wireless, smart phone systems), and have just recently moved over to supporting the Forestry Service which allowed me to relocate back to Buffalo. Thank god.

Where I’ve been…
I drive this one now:
http://boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/thumb/PRTregurthaBowSoo81902lr.jpg
M/V Paul R. Tregurtha, the largest ship on the Great Lakes.
1013’ long x 105’ wide, 56’ depth, 70,000 ton capacity, 16,080 horsepower

Still a Sr Programmer Analyst II, but only because they don’t want to change my title yet.

I’m lead programmer and designer and 2nd lead data architect for our Enterprise Data Warehouse solution.
We’re using SAP Business Objects for most things. Running on a tight Sybase IQ server but still doing work for people in ASE.
I’m the guy from designing ODS schemas through universe development and then also manage delivery/maintenance and training across the state. Every aspect other than building our hardware, I’m involved in or in charge of.
In April it will be 10 years with the same place… I’ll be looking for another promotion here shortly. Running out of career ladder, but we’re getting a new CIO and we’ll see where that takes us.

My occupation changed 4 yrs ago I now work for nysdocs fun fun

I now hack stuff all day at Accuvant LABS

^Where’s the nudes?

After being off for 8 months due to an injury at work, I started working again today back at BMW(technician)

^ LIKE!

Still with Schuele Paint, although I’m an outside sales rep now. Still not sure if it was a promotion like they told me it was lol.