how fast have you gotten your car?

I got my car up to 160mph in GT4 , does that count?

155 in the neon.

my zx7r ive had to 175 *speedo probibly only 165

my evo ive had to 145 GPS and was pulling

My mini limited at 150 speedo probibly 140…

I think a lot of people with cars here can go 150, why lie about something so stupid?

I have a hatch back that I have hit 150 in. I have done this twice. Like someone else said the aerodynamics feel like they start to fail about 140 or it could have been what passes for my common sense kicking in to get me to slow down. Hard to tell which one it was I do not have much experience with speeds that high… or common sense.

in a car i’ve owned…around 140, but surely that wasn’t right.

in someone else’s car, i think it was a little over 150, but i wasn’t looking at the speedo too much.

EDIT: my favorite moment at high speeds was driving woody’s new RX-8 and looking over at him and saying, “you know, this thing is pretty smooth at 130.” he looked over at me and said, “wtf? you’re going 130?”

My WRX maxed out the SpeedO @ 155 on RT 81 in PA

My Evo 147 on QEW racing an S4 with Winter tires on.

Speedo reading about 178 in the vette…3.42 gears, 295/35/18, mn6 I think motor trend stock c5 top speed was 176ish, I’m guessing my speedo is off also, due to them not being very correct from the factory, but i’d say it was a solid 170.

[quote=“Dex,post:145,topic:36582"”]

in a car i’ve owned…around 140, but surely that wasn’t right.

in someone else’s car, i think it was a little over 150, but i wasn’t looking at the speedo too much.

EDIT: my favorite moment at high speeds was driving woody’s new RX-8 and looking over at him and saying, “you know, this thing is pretty smooth at 130.” he looked over at me and said, “wtf? you’re going 130?”

[/quote]

I said the same thing in my aunts LS460 to my brother in law haha. I think I was only @ like 105-110 though.

I don’t really do top speed runs in my own cars that often, my van is limited to 117mph and has the power and gearing to get there pretty quickly. No point in trying to set minivan speed records. Here are the cars I have done top speed runs in…
98 A4 (chipped) 145mph, 401 between Detroit and London. No idea the actual speed, factor 3-5% less for the usual speedo error.

2005 Mercedes SLK 200, 240kph (150mph) Autobahn between Nurburg and Zweibrucken. Rented car, not bad for only 168hp. Top speed on the Nurburgring in the same car was 225kph.

2006 Hyundai Tucson, also rented, 195kph, that’s all it had (4cyl, awd, stick) Also on the Autobahn. I drove this thing across France at 165 to 175kph all day. It’s top speed on the Nurburgring was 210kph downhill before Aremberg, but downhill doesn’t count.

I’ve tried it in other cars I have owned, but none have been very remarkable, My Protege5 was topped out at about 125, the Neon was limited by gearing at about 140 but I never tried it as the very aggressive alignment and suspension made it very twitchy on the highway, my old van was limited to 109mph and struggled to meet that.

[quote=“MPD47,post:136,topic:36582"”]

Forgot, bounced the 131mph gear limit in the touring.

Another NYSpeed’r was in the car for mine. shrug

I know that they can do 120, been in a V8 Limited doing such.

[/quote]

120 speedo mph = about 112 when you factor in the intended inaccuracy of most speedos

[quote=“RedrRocket,post:34,topic:36582"”]

this thread is kinda dumb. without a pic of a GPS max speed counter.

[/quote]

Driving to top speed is pretty dumb, but taking a picture while driving that speed is really dumb.

I only tried it one, and it wasn’t maxed out yet. Once I found enough room to actually get it to 240, I wasn’t going to try and take a picture. This picture was taken during my first attempt, seconds before an A6 changed lanes in front of me. On the second and final attempt I put the camera away.

Contrary to popular believe, you cannot drive all day at top speed in Germany, there are just as few opportunities to try it as there are here due to heavy traffic. The only difference there is less chance of getting in trouble (I say LESS instead of NONE because you can still get ticketed for unsafe driving even in limit free zones)

Last year on the way back from Carlisle Pa with the rest of the NYspeed crew, Justin (GSX, on his bike, an R1 i think) nad i (in my SR powered S13 coupe) hit the 15 north through PA really hard.

I have video of us driving through long winding highway stretches with my digital speedo maxed at 199kph (125 mph) and i was accelerating. In fact you can clearly see him leaning into a corner with my speedo well above 165kph and he was blowing past me at the time. So he was likely going 110mph and not in a straight line.

I recall justin estimating that we hit 150mph +.

To be honest i dont think i hit faster than 240kph (150mph) but i dont have a way of measuring that proving what speed i was going after the speedo stops.

my car couldnt do that with the factory wing but after adding the low wangan it was alot more stable at those speeds. The car itself felt pretty sorted.

However, my transmission started to lock up because we were holding that speed for so long that the car started to overheat. I literally couldnt rip the stick out of 5th gear without double or tripple clutching and really being finicky with it.

we spent more than 15 minutes at top speed, give or take, and when we finally pulled over it took quite a while for everyone else to catch up.

[quote=“eMKay,post:150,topic:36582"”]

120 speedo mph = about 112 when you factor in the intended inaccuracy of most speedos

[/quote]

I could believe that, but it’s pathetic if it’s that far off. We checked several BMW speedos (e46 330i, e60 M5, e39 M5) against GPS and Radar at the Salt flats and it was dead nuts accurate even over 140. Only one that was “off” was an e46 M3 which at 156 was showing 158.

Yeah, on my 155 run, I did a speed calculator on neons.org for my gearing rpm, and tire size. My speedo didn’t even go anywhere near that high!

–mark

I believe ive hit in the 90s mph range, not really sure cause my speedo only goes up to 85.:biglol:

I drive a granny car Buick Regal GS, so it’s never been over 45. :wink:

The gear ratio formula actually reads very high, my t-45 cobra gets topped out in fourth often enough which indicates 120ish by speedometer at 7000rpm with 3.73 rear gears and stock 245/45r17’s or 25.6in. tires. Now the ratio comes out 143. I doubt that i’m going 143, stock with 3.27 it topped out at 7000rpm in 4th at 152(ford’s numbers) and the formula says it should be 163. Before the gear change my speedometer was dead on with ford’s numbers for what i should be doind at the end of each gear, but the formula always came out higher. My speedometer is corrected and the formula actually says i have 4.44 gears. HA!

Jetta’s don’t go 155 nearly as easy as people seem to think, guess what, the faster you go, the more off your speedometer is and even 120 and 130 claims are probably 10-15 mph slower.

NOW, do an indicated 120(about an actual 100) on a snowmobile past ECC south (on the public road covered in snow) in a blizzard and then you’ll feel like your going a lot faster than you are.

140-150-ish in the GTO

really had no desire to keep it going

155 at the limiter in all three germans

i got my paseo to a woping 105 that only took like ten mintues lol