how much oil/what kind of sohc ?

hey guys im about to do another oil change hence my oil lifters are telling me so (cracracracracrack). but yeah, how much oil to put in and what kind ? whats thicker or thinner ? 5W30 or 10W30 ? would synthetic oil cuase my oil lifters to get worse ?

let me know asap. thanks.
also im planning to build a track car and i went to look at a 240 thats half way there, only one thing, theres straightpipe all the way from the headers and it doesnt smoke all the time, only when you idle for a long time, when you start moving it produces some smoke (looks like oil) but the car doesnt seem to be burning it what so ever, so is it normal for a car to do that if the exhaust system is straightpiped (literally) ? or are the piston rings going and something wrong with it, thanks.

I hear you shouldn’t use synthetic oil on a used engine because if any seals were leaking this will make it worse. The synthetic oil is very thin and will get in anywhere it can. This is what I have heard at least.

As for the smoke, what does it look like? black/white?

it looks like a blend of blue/purple but its not as heavy as oil burning smoke

don’t post if you don’t understand what you are saying.
The reason sythetic oil is not recommened to add to high KM engines is it has high detergents that move sludge around in your engine. Primarly the sludge that is probably blocking the leaks on all those vital seals such as rear main, front seal etc etc.

If you engine has anything over 150k km I would say its too late for synthetic. You are suppose to switch to it ideally when the engine is fully broke in, or when it has fairly low km’s.

Is smoke, blue or black? Blue = oil, black = rich.

As for your lifters, all KAE’s have noisy lifters. But they should not be clicking that loud that you hear them with the windows closed cruzing. Could mean they are getting starved of oil. And not adjusting the lash between cam and itself properlly.

Andrew.

what you just explained about why not to use synthetic oil in a used engine is much the same as what i said having to do with the seals and what not. I was just trying to help the guy. You dont need to post comments like that, maybe elaborate on what I said instead would be a better option.

You’re building a track car, but you don’t know how much oil goes in your motor, or what kind to use :rofl:

10W30 is thicker than 5W30.

See this article http://forums.neo240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1003. Then once you know about oil, maybe you can learn about coolant, brake fluid and washer fluid :wink:

I always use synthetic washer fluid.