How the

Hell do you balance a street bike tire at home?

you really want to ride on a balanced at home tire on a bike??? sounds like a no no to me

when you install tire i always lined up the yellow dot with valve stem. not sure on reasoning but someone mentioned it one time to do that and that was what i did. other than that would have to take to motorcycle shop to have it done.

I’ve never balanced a bike wheel and tire and I’ve ridden without issue. As elcamino mentioned, line up the yellow dot with the valve stem.

If you really wanted to do it yourself, you could get a cheap bubble balancer. I read about one on a bike forum that someone bought at Harbor Freight.

yep. I did mount mine yeaterday, without knowing about the yellow line, and up to 80 it seems fine. And I never ride at 80, So…

I didn’t know about the yellow line thing, thanks a lot. I have a bubble balancer, but not sure how well that would work with a bike wheel. As I’m being told that the wheel never need balanced, just the tire to the wheel. But what the hell do I know…:doh:

My bike has a lip in the center of the rim that weights attach to.

Actually balanceing at home is easy and you use stick on weights. You don’t need one of those expensive balance machines like they use in car places. Both shops I used to deal with just used a basic wheel balancer that looked like this. They balanced the wheels on my 01 ZX-12R and my 05 Vulcan 1600 and I never had an issue. The ZX-12R when I owned it, I had at speeds close to 200 mph on a few occasions due to having a Muzzy Bonneville box (burried the needle at 195 indicated but didn’t have GPS to see what the actual was). Never an issue…

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/balancer/tachyon-wheel-tire-balancer/tachyon-motorcycle-wheel-balancer-kit.jpg

Can you post a link, the picture isn’t working?

Sure scroll down to see the balancer.

Cool thanks alot.

I was just told another interesting way I never even thought about. If you have two jack stands that raise high enough and a level surface, you should be able to use the axel and suspend the tire inbetween the stands.

I’m not sure if the axel would give you enough cleance to place the ends on jack stands but it is worth looking into.

I have done that before. Seemed to work fine.
Spin the wheel a few times. If the same point always ends up on the bottom, your wheel is out of balance.

The yellow dot is supposed to be the lighted part of the tire.
Valve stem should be the heaviest part of the rim.