How to clean rusty hand tools?

I have alot of hand tools & parts that I need to clean up. They’d sat in condensation & water for quite a while (weeks), and are pretty rusty.

Anyone know how to clean them en masse?

I have prolly ~200 pieces - everything from sockets, ratchets, box wrenchs, etc.; jack stands, among other things.

Rock tumbler / polisher?
Media blasting?
Soak them in parts cleaner?

Go Amish. Put em in a tumbler full of motor oil and corn cobs.

Seriously. That’s how they roll.

i read something on the bottle of por15 metal ready about soaking tools in it. check their webby!

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/metal%20ready%20q%20and%20a%20sheet.pdf

Can I use Metal-Ready to restore rusted tools?
Yes you can. Fill a shallow tray with Metal-Ready and put in the tool overnight, or until all rust is dissolved.

i have a ton of this shit if you want to try it…

eaten or uneaten corn cobs?

Guys at my shop used to leave tools to soak in PB Blast then just rub them down with a cloth. Seemed to work pretty well.

Can’t go wasting good corn.

I’m curious as to why Fry knows the Amish so well.

Newman, lemme grab a qt. off of you & see how well it works. I’m looking for zero effort here, and I don’t like corn that much.

sure. bring a container and stop by tonight. i’ll be in the garage with a few people working on the car…

PM me addy or phone.

My parents have an infatuation with “the good old days” and Amish culture and all that crap. Plus my dad is essentially an amateur carpenter, has a bunch of 100+ year old hand tools, etc. It was a goofy little tidbit of knowledge he passed on after I left an 80 piece drill bit set laying in the sun for a couple of days.

^ dude, you’re weird

i used that rust eater shit from auto zone. it worked as well as naval jelly, if not better.

FTW

beleive its corn husk…not the cobb

coke, let them sit is it for ~30 min and wipe the rust off, had to do it last month

^Also works on the hooker.

WD50 works well on plated tools like sockets and wrenches.

Cobb.

you would know?

:snky:

Leave them in Vinegar overnight. Cheap solution