how to get road salt out of car carpet?

I have some nasty road salt that has crystallized onto the carpet around the edges of my floormat and near the dead pedal location.

Any ideas of good ways to get this off without bleaching the black carpet?

Scrub it up real good and get it pretty soapy, then vacuum it with a wet/dry vac.
Repeat until clean.

lots and lots of water…

boiling water a scrub brush and vacuum

white vinegar and warm water.

crackers.

mmmmm, salt and crackers. yummy.

I had some delicious Triscuit crackers in the car on the way over.

lol gettin a little of topic… but yes hot water/brush/vac will always do the trick and then when it dries some may reapear just hit it with the brush again and vac it up. I have used vinegar that works also but i dont know anyone who would want thier car to smell like that

I’ve heard that lemon juice diluted in water does a good job too. Acid = Win. And it smells a lot better than vinegar :slight_smile:

Dish soap works well, with very warm water. lemon juice sounds like a good idea too.

wait til its warm out

I need to spend about a whole day cleaning my interior once its nicer out.

Yea me too. Mine is pretty much ok since I dont let clutter build up in the car, but the front floors are filthy.

My driver side mat probably will need be replaced, this is the first year I didnt get rubber mats, so my mat has a solid chunk of ice there since I’d say mid January.

Bring on the nice weather or I’m moving.

warm water and tide also home depot sells a carpet product called capture which works well too

try slugs and snails.

How do you get dead hookers and blood out of the trunk?

Here is the best advice that a guy told me at the car show today- HOT black coffee takes salt out to make the carpet look brand new. Pour the hot coffee on the spot that is stained bad with salt, scrub it real good with a brush and the dry vac it out. Looks brand new.