how to unstick rear drum brakes?

well the cackord i bought yesterday sat for over a month with the ebrake up… its now stuck and wont go anywhere

im going to pick it up in a few, and told the guy i bought it from to just leave it in gear, this was a few days ago. im hoping that by now the shit has freed up a bit, but if it hasnt, what should i do/bring with me?

thanks!

big hammer?

lube?

If a few hits with a BFH doesn’t do it, you may have to take the drum apart and knock it free.

Yes, lube on brakes :picard:

Apparently I should stay off the board today, damn.

well if its the cables that are stuck to the underside of the car, lube would work

if its the brakes themselves… im just going to whack it and drive it down the street till they unstick. i have extra tires haha

Big hammer, backwards, forwards. Disassemble Johnny 5.

That’s what I meant, the mods are all over me today, lol.:ohnoes:

I’m not familiar with Honda rear drums, but on my truck the arm that the cable moves to engage the parking brake drum is accessible with out taking anything apart. When mine stuck bad I was able to crawl under there and use a screw driver and hammer to give it a good whack to force it in the release direction.

Worst case if banging on it and driving it back/forth doesn’t work you know the adjuster screw has to be accessible. Pop off the little adjuster slot and back off the adjuster. Your back brakes won’t work for shit, but they obviously need work anyway.

swap from the other accord?

shake the rear cables back and forth

there should be a rear access point on the drums, if they won’t retract you should be able to adjust them with a screwdriver so they don’t engage… but you might be driving the car back with no rear brakes…

I love the non mechanics who think every car has an accessible adjuster…

When mine were stuck on my civic I drove in reverse fairly quickly and slammed on the brakes, after two times they were fine. Might not work for you but it’s quick and easy to try.

fml

i went there and with a bit of persuasion with a tire iron i got one free, but couldnt get the other one. left a nice skid mark in the po’s driveway though lol

also i stopped by innovative and talked to mike (i bought the car from a house like 5 block from the shop) he offered me a giant hammer, but i opted to go home and drink beer instead, i had had enough

going to go back there on sun and try again. i really dont want to deliver in the gti tomorrow if its going to snow… :frowning:

i now NOTHING about drum brakes… if it gets to the point that it wont budge without ripping the brake open wtf should i look to free? i dont care if i dont have 1 rear brake on the drive home, i’ll make it, ive drivien enough shit boxes in my day

thanks

As stated it MAY have an accessible adjuster. some adjusters require taking the drum off to make the adjustment. What year is the car i can give a looksy and see if it has an access hole this way you know prior to going.

Just beat the face of the drum with a hammer until it loosens up, it works 99% of the time jam I just did this a week ago on one of my shitty vw’s

Dealt with this on a civic before. Passenger rear drum froze up. Driving it had no affect on loosening it up. I had to take the tire off and with a series of pry bars and screw drivers I managed to finally pull the drum off. After that I just PB blasted all parts minus the shoes and it worked fine after that.

Not sure if you got this fixed Jam…

If the car has Steelies then the best thing is a hammer. If you up the car in gear and put some load on the tire just keep hitting the rim all round until it frees up. You should be able to get it free if it has only been a month. I have done this on a number of cars that have been sitting in a field for up to a couple years. If all else fails take a little propane torch and heat the outside of the drum and then hit it.

Good luck.