hows your bolt in roll bar? v. flattened Mustang

This has been floating around, not sure if its a repost here or not.

Im guessing driver and passenger both needed some clean shorts after this. Apparently both were unharmed, somehow.

Check out the cage poking through the floor, oops.

http://cache-07.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_mcrash09.jpg

Dan

CAR FX was just featured in this months 5.0 mag for building 3 matching stangs. this is one of them. Imma have to read up on it when I take a shit at home later

yikes…

but it was bolted to the floor, it had to be safe… just a 4pt hoop? probably just there for the harness bar requirement with pass through seats. far from rollover safe, 6 point bolt in may have fair’d better, but still not going handle being dropped directly onto the roof well.

Another reason not to drive a Mustang?

+1

Yeah, because a civic with a bolt in would have done so much better.

Well, wait, it probably wouldn’t have been going fast enough to flip so maybe it would have been better. :slight_smile:

either way you slice it, that’s scary.

A civic probably would have a much better chance since it wouldnt weigh 3800lbs +.

The real issue is the way that most of the bolt in cages only tie into the floor and do not include any part of the rocker boxes. Im guessing a properly done weld in hoop would have done alot more good that this one.

I also wonder if they were using back up plates at all.

Dan

I am shocked they werent crushed with the harness holding them in place.

Was this just at a lapping day? Obviously no reinforcement plates were used.

If they were driving a convertible viper with an aftermarket hardtop they would have been just fine

LOL, they claimed to have shaved off enough weight to bring down that Stang to 3,000lbs too.

The most aggressive performer of the three wears the lowest number, No. 12. Will explained the Car FX plan of attack. "Instead of building a street car that can go out there and race on the track, we built a track car that we could make street legal. Car FX stripped car No. 12 of most of its interior. It replaced the rear glass and door glass with Plexiglas to subtract more weight. The vehicle barely tips the scales at 3,000 pounds. “We shaved weight everywhere we possibly could,” Will said.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0912_2010_mustang_gt_car_fx/index.html
Nice “track car”, idiots. Next time put more thought into a roll cage.

LOL @ tracking a vert without a bar/cage and a vert Viper prob would have been better off.

+1. That’s the reason I don’t have a harness in my street car for track days. No way I want my head acting as the roll bar.

Holy crap, I assumed it was a vert but then I clicked the link! WTF? Ford might want to examine that car. lol

that

And the fact that the track built a tire ramp instead of a tire wall.

cold welds.

what? a rollbar tubing and on a 6x6 .125 plate is stronger then a unibody .050 sheetmetal car? whodatunk

that’s is pretty scary. A bolt in with plates done right can work very well, so what the hell were they thinking when they built this?

I think people can get crazy with weight reduction. My guess is that instead of using backing plates that would weight an extra 5 lbs total, they made it a ‘race car’. You can see one of the tubes coming through the floor in the upside down pic.

I see plates on those tubes.