I bought a mac because...

whoever says that mac’s never crash is either full of it, or has some freak luck.

I’ve used a few macs in the past, and they would both do odd little quirky things. For instance, go into iPhoto and it would just sit there… thinking… thinking… thinking for hours and hours and got to the point where you’d have to manually “pull the plug” and restart the thing because it locked itself up.

As another example… my iPhone, which is running a smaller scale osx. Atleast once a day, if not more, it’ll crash programs I’m working in. For instance, I’ll be in the ipod section of the phone… listening to music and out of nowhere, brings me back to the dashboard. It’s done it with almost every app on the phone. Granted, mine is modded… but a friend of mine also has an iphone (unmodded) and runs into a lot of the same problems.

don’t get me wrong though, still love the phone :smiley:

[quote=“TgDn32,post:18,topic:36127"”]

And why would you put an unprotected computer on a college, or any for that matter, network?

[/quote]

I wondered the same thing

hell, the first thing that goes on my PC on a fresh install before anything is my firewall (and disable xp’s) and AV/AS suite. Then again, not everyone is computer savvy though. My ex had a TON of spyware/virii on her PC from this. She was downloading from kazza with NO protection

Honestly, a HUGE majority of mac users believe that they’re immune to viruses and malware. With macs popularity on the rise, it’s only a matter of time before you see a substantial rise in the amount of people getting infected on a mac.

Just about everything out there can be hacked/exploits can be taken advantage of. Nothing is immune, believe it or not.

EDIT:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,278254,00.html

a pretty good read on the subject

Compared with Windows, the Macintosh platform is still largely untouched by vulnerability exploits.

But the prompt release of exploit code for a vulnerability detailed in a May 24 set of updates shows that it’s catching up fast when it comes to grabbing the attention of exploit writers.

“It is very Microsoft. It’s something we’ve grown to expect in Microsoft: The descriptions of patches lead people to write exploits for something that’s been patched,” said Rob Enderle, principal analyst for the Enderle Group. “It was only a matter of time before that kind of behavior hit [the Mac] platform. People are going after consumers, and they’re going after consumers broadly.”

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com’s Cybersecurity Center.

Security research company Immunity released the exploit code — which leveraged a buffer overflow vulnerability in the UPnP Internet Gateway Device Standardized Device Control code that’s used to create port mappings on home NAT (Network Address Translation) gateways in the OS X mDNSResponder implementation — less than 24 hours after Apple had released a patch for it.

(Story continues below)