I bought a mac because...

its not that the mac is the end all be all of security.

its that it is a good medium between all the aspects of what one might want in a system. Windows lacks big time in security. thats no secret.

but windows owns as far as what you can do with it. There are many more software options which are nice. Also, you can custom build computers and the competetive market brings the prices down.

the mac has pretty good security, its fairly easy to use, theres a solution out there for the majority of the problems you will face, its easy on the eyes, they get great battery life, good performance, portability is good…etc…etc…

and its not that you cant get any of those things from other vendors and or windows software, its that its getting continuously more difficult to find it in one package from any one manufatcturer.

Its all about the trade-offs, and theres a lot of them to consider

I bought a MAC because of the Mac vs. PC commercial. Mac, you never have to upgrade, it stays current for the life of the machine. No, not really. Mac has it’s advantages with Graphics and design. My uncle is a Mac guy. I never owned one and I dont think I ever will. My system is running an AMD 3400+ with 1TB of storage and 2GB memory. My system has been on without restart for 3 months. Yes, it is getting a bit slow when running several apps but oh well. Looking to upgrade soon anyways.

another thing - why are people so against turning their computers off?

[quote=“sureshot007,post:63,topic:36127"”]

another thing - why are people so against turning their computers off?

[/quote]

Leaving a system on constantly keeps the temperatures constant on all components, less stress on moving parts and many believe it prolongs the life of hard drives. Less likely to fail.

Maintenance scripts run at night too.

How can leaving a computer on be better than it being off. That’s like saying leaving my car running at night is better for longevity, because starting it is so harsh on the engine.

[quote=“sureshot007,post:66,topic:36127"”]

How can leaving a computer on be better than it being off. That’s like saying leaving my car running at night is better for longevity, because starting it is so harsh on the engine.

[/quote]

Well, hard drives take a beating when data is either written or read from the hard drive. Turning the PC on, you are accessing the OS, which is constant reading. Companies leave servers running 24/7 months at a time. Statistically, leaving a system running constantly avoids wear and tear on the box. www.tomshardware.com had some info on this back in the day.

Yeah - back in the day. Oh those were some good times. When you had to actually know how to use a computer or else it would punish you for being an idiot. Man I miss those days…

large unix servers can stay up for long periods of time without reboot you are not really ever running many memory intesive applications.

The majority of workstations, when ur running firefoix, word processors, mail clients, etc… suffer from poorly written programs and end up with memory leaks. Rebooting will clear these leaks out of memory? So why not just restart it every day or two?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:69,topic:36127"”]

large unix servers can stay up for long periods of time without reboot you are not really ever running many memory intesive applications.

The majority of workstations, when ur running firefoix, word processors, mail clients, etc… suffer from poorly written programs and end up with memory leaks. Rebooting will clear these leaks out of memory? So why not just restart it every day or two?

[/quote]

Lots of servers stay running for long periods of time with out a reboot… :lol:

I love this thread

I’m glad someone else is getting a kick out of this :slight_smile:

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:70,topic:36127"”]

Lots of servers stay running for long periods of time with out a reboot… :lol:

I love this thread

[/quote]

are you retarded? I think you are, cause you obviously didnt read what I wrote.

I said that for WORKSTATIONS a reboot is needed often. do you know the difference between a workstation and a reboot? did you read the post that you quoted?

My post was in reference to Marcus’ post