I Need help fast!!!

Less than ten minutes ago i tried to put me 1992 N/T plymouth laser in to reverse and all that would happen was a slight increase in the RPM’s.

i tried to put it in neutral and it went forward so did everything else except park(which worked fine) and reverse(which didnt do anything). I know this might already be posted but i was wondering if there was any specific thing that might be wrong.

may i also add that in park my RPM’s wont go above 2k. Please i really need help as soon as possible.Thank you.

linkage may be f’d up or loose. Pull the center console around the shifter. Check to see that the cables/linkages are securely attached. Very good chance a clip came off.

ok do i take off the black top, where the shifter is or the sides where the carpet is???

and what am i looking for???

Could be a clip holding the linkage to the tranny as well. I’m assuming this is an auto. Could be something with the shift lock thingamajigger too.

take off the top. There is a heavy cable coming into the shifter from the front of the car. The cable is in a sheath/tube. The end of the tube is secured(with a clip) to bracket that is bolted to the chassis/floor of the car. Sometimes those clips come loose. The cable should be free to move but sheath should be firmly secured.

if im sitting in the car, driver seat is it the cable thats the farthest from me???

correction on this. with my foot to the floor in park the RPM’s wont go above 900

if its the transmission i might be parting out the parts. its a 1g laser. N/T auto. so be watching for parts for sale.

well the center is all apart and now need to know what im looking 4???

I have the tranny manual for sale