I wonder when an Atheist, Agnostic, humanist will be able to run...

And be a viable candidate, I’m tired of having to pick the lesser of two preachers. I don’t like the fact that we pick leaders that still believe in fairy tales and monsters.

What do you think? A generation at least?

~20-25 years.

But just like most political topics, I doubt politicians deeply care about the topics they “stand for”. They’re just going for what gets the votes. It’s going to be a while before religions are seen as obsolete, so as soon as that happens, we’ll see a candidate who is “all in” on science.

Not as long as the term “Bible Belt” exists.

religion wont play a role in politics the day that people dont need fairy tales to think they have the power to do things themselves.

you know … the day god stops being an excuse for why things didnt work out for someone

I agree.

I agree, but it only takes 51% to believe that fairy’s don’t exist for it to work :slight_smile:

That is a pretty good point

Ugh… I hate religion :frowning:

I think the best is when you tell people you are atheist they 1) quote the bible to tell you reasons why god exists, or 2) think you are some jerk that is trying to change everyone’s lives.

Im just an atheist I don’t give a fuck what you think.

This is a dumb thread… Religion is what all common law is based off of.

I feel most people who were raised in any type of religious surrounding who no longer take part in any belief structure are just people who were too lazy to go to church when they hit their teenage years or hated living life by restrictions that they could not see. There is a reason its called faith… and its gotta be so depressing that those who dont believe in a higher powers’ lives were only for the moment and will never be remembered or reflected of any worth.

Even if science is the right answer, religion was the first reason people care enough not to kill their neighbor in the first place. Id say those must be the best and most effective fuggin “fairy tales” ever told…

So you should vote for a political candidate based solely on his religious beliefs, and not what he has to do with the country.

Religion is also the reason why evolution is not taught in schools…

Sure I don’t mind the fact that religious people generally have good morals, but there is no need for censorship, violence, or debates like this. I have my beliefs (or lack of) and you have yours don’t try to make this stupid effort to convince me that I’m depressed because there is no afterlife in my mind.

You got my jist… im trying to force my oppressive religious views down this entire threads throat :roflpicard:

Obviously you should vote on your candidates views but which candidate actually follows his religious views into what he enacts in office?

As said above, both candidates just say what they have to, to get into office… You think McCain goes to church every Sunday… they are politicians and if they have any self recognition they probably know they will be the first people to burn in hell…

I just see this post as a little gratuitous and im merely expressing my opinion that people now a days are “agnostic or atheist” out of laziness…
Its an open forum and thats my opinion. Im sure the OP would figure someone would have a counterpoint anyways.

Ironic, seeing how millions and millions of people have been killed because of religion.

500 years ago, churches put scientists under house arrest and even killed many of them for printing facts that children in school are currently being taught. Galileo was one of them who said the earth and all the planets revolve around the sun, so they locked him up. You’d think that a merciful god would have given his people a hint.

Well, you would be completely wrong about the reasons for abandoning religion, ignorance is the reason for religion, people who choose to abandon the safety and security of religion do so not out of laziness, but out of enlightenment. Basically, they learn enough about the universe to look back on religion and laugh at the quaint, ignorant beliefs.

That is the last I will say about that.

And it was also another way around…

this is a stupid thread.

P.S God doesnt actually “work” for people who dont believe in God. Hes not gonna just show people he exists, if you believe in God then you believe in God and thats all that matters.

People pray for materialistic shit and when it doesnt happen they say God doesnt exist.

There are a number of clearly retarded people who believe in God and who don’t believe in God, religion has nothing to do with what happens in life. its just something people put blame on

Im not saying any religious leadership has evvveeer been right in the history of time… Obviously your cool dogma quote has much validity to it… Religion has had a lot of positive impacts on the world but it always has shitty impacts on the world when people try to put their own interpretation and spins on it.

I am religious and I have no idea if im right or not… but I rather devote myself to believing in some sort of higher power and afterlife rather than “losing not following or even looking” into a faith rather than being too lazy to try, and in turn make excuses like “priest molest boys so god must be wrong,” or “look at all of the holy wars in the name of Allah…”

If you look, any true islamic person does not kill. Allah says not to kill. If they kill they are not truely islamic.

I would argue that most religious rules are based on common law.

If you think murder and theft were acceptable before the ten commandments then your an idiot.

All rules and laws can be simplified to one rule that everyone learned back in grade school. “Treat others the way you want to be treated”.

Does anyone know this? there is not much documentation before the holy books. And everything before the common era was speculated thousands of years after

Never. Christianity has played a roll in politics for 2000 years. Religion as a whole has played a part for 10,000 years.

I don’t even know what you’re talking about, as I’ve never seen that movie.

And any true Christian does not drink heavily, cheat on their spouse, lie, beat their cars, etc, yet these people still believe in something that they’ve never seen, nor heard, nor literally felt, except for the warm scrotum of their priest on their chin.

Read ‘The End of Faith’ by Sam Harris. The scariest thing is with the Islamic faith, is that they truly believe what they’re doing is right, and that they will be rewarded. That scares me more than any kind of crazy you can imagine; although, that could be considered crazy.