IC: Tail of the Dragon Cruise?

So what you are saying is that you are going to be in attendance?

I’d go. Probably bring my m3

same here… this will be fun :slight_smile:

For those that are on the fence: http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?235001

I think we should stay in a hotel around the Gatlinburg / National Park area and then we can drive around the whole place.

I’ve added a poll too.

This will happen too at some point, but I feel there is such a short window of optimal conditions to make that trip that we might need to make a test excursion this summer / fall in order to plan for the following summer / fall.

i’m in if mike comes too and we can bring a laptop with wifi :slight_smile:

The problem with that is you would have to compete with all the tourists up there (its better to see it as a day trip after running the Foothills Parkway). The best roads are all South of that area and you’d be as much as several hours away from some of them (i.e. blood mountain, and the tn end of skyway). 441 had a major washout 2 weeks ago and without it being open (which is a distinct possibility for your dates) it would be a BIG pita to get anywhere from G-burg on a regular basis. Robbinsville is a much more central location. You guys could get cabins at the Dragon’s Rest and have campfires at night and grill out and such since the weather should be decent. They also have a 3br house available and the prices are very reasonable. We were down there the last weekend of April in '11 and the first weekend of May in '12 and the temps were in the 70s. If you want nicer accommodations you can’t beat Fontana Resort.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Save the last weekend of July on your calendar and bring the Miata down.

Yes to nicer accommodations. Maybe to a 3br house so long as I get my own damn room, I don’t play nice with others unless they are female.

I would suggest against staying in Gatlinburg. The roads aren’t horrible to that dragon but it’s still almost a 2 hour drive to the dragon and when you get there you’re beat. We stayed in Pigeon Forge a couple years and not only the traffic there sucked the drive to the dragon was boring. Plus staying closer if people didn’t feel like relaxing and hanging out they ran the dragon or skyway again whenever they wanted.

Fontana resort is a 10 minute drive to the dragon and skyway. It might be a bit more but the larger cabins are big enough to fit 8-10 people pretty comfortably, more if you don’t mind covering the floor with air mattresses. In April the 3 bedrooms are $269 a night. Divide that by 8 and it’s $33 a night.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/

I drove from Gatlinburg to the area of the tail and it didn’t seem like 2 hours and the road was fun. Maybe we just went different routes? :gotme:

I’m NOT looking to split a 3 bedroom with 8 dudes, lol. But $80 per night in the lodge isn’t bad at that Fontana place for how close it is.

Those looking for crazy bargain can find hotels in Pidgin Forge for $20 per night… but a few of us tried the cheap route once in Philadelphia and had bloody sheets, lol.

I’d go.
I’d be bringing a VW.

Here is a link to the cabins: http://www.dragonsrestcabins.com/ The 3br house isn’t advertised, you have to ask.

Unless you’re going to Dollywood with your grandma stay the f*ck away from Pigeon Forge its a traffic nightmare.