IM NEW!!!! lol

But doesn’t the ecotec motor have a substantial amount of aftermarket support?

Yeah, and plans on upgrading to DIFFERENT sparg plug wire as a future mod… I mentioned this earlier

nah, we’re just assholes who hate saturns because they are slow and dumb. :roll2:

i dont have a ecotec. its a 98 so i have the 2.4 non eco.

But yeah. you can get some good power out of either one. eco’s love boost.

i hate to be continuing this argument, but why can’t people deal with the fact that not everyone can own an amazing car? i rock a j-body…yea, i know its not even close to being fast, but ya know what? it works, its cheap, and its going to be something i can learn on, so when i do buy a decent car, i know what im doing. if you dont like it, fine, you dont have to drive it. just STFU already. ANYWAY

:wave: 94SatSC2, keep workin on that thing. 2 of my friends have saturns, one being supercharged. (you probably know them) for such a small engine, they can scoot! :tup: see ya around

sigh. you guys making shitty car choices are also bad at reading… maybe it’s not a coincidence…

At any rate, a honda civic is not an “amazing car”, a 1G DSM is not an “amazing car”. But they’re sure as shit better platforms. It’s just funny to me that your argument is that you don’t have alot of money for an “amazing car”, yet you refuse to listen when a bunch of people who have been in your shoes tell you it’s not worth it to make an obscure platform go fast, ESPECIALLY on a budget. So if you want to make a fast saturn, jbody, w/e… that’s perfectly fine, but please refrain from using the following words: cheap, budget, poor… (unless you’re preceding it with a single negative)

yes. in my research of the 2.4 motors, i have found this out

They are junk

Theyre not all that strong, they have an overpriced and shitty aftermarket. Theyre not worth it to throw money into. Ecotecs respond 10000x better to mods and they have a hauge aftermarket, not to mention theyre bottom ends are plenty strong.

Much like a 4.3?

:lol:

Ok, I’m just chiming in here real quick.

I drive a Galant, I mod it, make like 400HP eventually, and I drive it.It’s a 4 door sedan.
I know I won’t get my money back.

However - I don’t go around affirming everyone that I “know everything there is to know about my car.” I think that’s the real thing that got everyone all riled up.

Anyway - please. Listen to these people. Realize that you are going to spend a shitload of money to be different. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I spent a couple grand modding it. All for what, .8 seconds off my 1/4? I wanted to be different. I wanted to drive the “fast Jeep” (15.0 @ 92 is not fast). I was off my rocker. I wanted to drop a 360 supercharged motor in there and run 13s!!! I got upgraded suspension to satisfy my addicition to better handling! I got 2 thick ass sway bars, new springs, shocks, EVERYTHING. So then, I had an ok handling Jeep that went kinda quick, only to have a Civic with a 500 dollar LS swap rape me in both acceleration and handling. I set a goal - I wanted a good handling vehicle that I could drive around all year that looked nice, and ran 14s with little modding. Money wasn’t the biggest factor, so I bought an Audi.

So anyway - moral of the story : Don’t just start doing shit “just to be different.” When you are in over your head you’re going to have a half assed car. You don’t seem like the person who wants half assed anything. Seriously think about it - if you want a saturn to go fast, then do it.

Don’t spend time upgrading shit you don’t need. Your APC exhaust tip, for example. wtf?

I’m buzzed, this post probably didn’t make much sense. I’m not going to say this often, but besides being an online prick to newbs like you, newman actually knows what he is talking about…

:word:

and as much as I’d hate to admit it, i agree 100% with newmAn. u guys are just to hardheaded to listen. people need to do some better planning, research, and budgeting before they make goals for a car. none of this before understanding the basics of engines and performance

this has NOTHING to do with “your car sucks, it cant happen”. to make it work takes ONE-OFF parts that take alota money.

take my case for example. the fucker who built my engine last year got internals OTHER THAN WHAT I SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIM. nonetheless, i rebuilt my engine, THE RIGHT WAY, this year. in doing so, i bought a different type of block, but reused the crank and rods. come to find out, the rods he used were .025" SHORTER THAN STD LS1 ROD LENGTH. that motherfucker. to boot, i had to get a different piston as my block is a different bore size, and i wanted a better piston. so, because he used this fucked up length, AND THERE WERE NO OFF THE SHELF PISTONS that would work, I had to spec custom pistons, which cost close to DOUBLE the price. i got the pistons at dealer price, yet they were STILL OVER $1000… i was planning to spend no more than 600 MAX. little instances like that add up BIG.

then, when u need other components to produce more power, such as a head, whos to say anyone has any experience porting that style head. you can spend BIG money getting a head job, which in the end may produce no, or even negative results. its all trial and error, and along the way, plan on forking out big bucks, results or nada

SO, WE ARE NOT SAYING YOUR CAR SUCKS. NOT AT ALL. WE ARE ADVISING YOU WHAT YOU ARE IN FOR IF YOU DESPERATELY WANT TO STEER DOWN THIS PATH OF BEING “DIFFERENT”, ON A BUDGET

Im down for a buget build:wiggle:

me two…

hmmm, $2k LT1 hunk o junk and put some $400 :tspry: :tspry: on it with a knock sensor, cam and headers… all for $3000

ANY TAKERS? lol

Welcome to NYSpeed.

lol.

Here’s my suggestion. Keep the Saturn, daily drive it. Save up for a while and buy a cheap fox bod. Put a few grand into it and run 11s and have WAY more fun with it. :tup:

Absolutley, and thats why they put them in the worlds fastest, production pickup.

ever

:bloated:

the point is the kids intrested in cars, t- way the f up!!! thats what were here for…

just please dont come off like you know everything, nobody does, and from the looks of it, you dont know shit…

once again, welcome, and please listen… or go to school like i did, do yourself the favor, set a goal (a realistic one) plan, dont vear from it, and do as much youself as possible, you will then learn…

please close this thread now!

a 2.4 is a junk motor ehhh? :slight_smile:

Alright, im closing this thread now!
Ive made up my mind and in sticking to it, MY SATURN IS GONNA ROCK!
I just met the guy(and girl) over at SDA, and there really cool people, there gonna help me with my build and im gonna get a lot of parts from them.
Now, if anyone wants to bitch any more about how they think a aturn cant be fast and their car is soooo much better and worht the money, than please…make a thread thats called “People who bitch about how slow saturns are”, there you can bitch all you want and not bug anyone else.
Thank You.

OK my last post in this crazy thread:

Now do you mean $1000 alltogether including car? Or in mods alone? And yeah just about mid to low 13’s is what Id realistically expect given a tight budget, I think it would come down more to the Autocross. Or maybe keeping it N/A would throw in a intresting challange.

I mean we could do this build off, but it would have to be cheap, I dont have thousands extra ya know? I thought about what you are gonna do figuring it has to be FWD, I got nothing… but If I wanst all into saturns Id probably do a older nissan se-r, that be a good budget builder Id think.

but anyways we all need to keep in mind this is the kids daily driver. I know someone mentioned a DSM. Come on, I love those cars, I even owned a 91 AWD TSI, but cheap and reliable, they are far from. I think we all know that to some extent. A affordable honda, like a civic I cant argue with too much but it lacks the originallity (sp*) some seek and it will basically need a motor swap for decent power. I mean thats down time and depending on the route taken, possibily expensive.

A saturn is no super car by anymeans. But a 91-96 SC2 (short wheel base) 1.9L 16 valve DOHC that makes 124 hp + 122 tq, (about 107 whp), pulls a .85 on the skip pad, weighs about 2300 lbs, gets about 30 mpg w/ a pretty close ratio 5 sp., stock, isnt such a bad platform to start with. They are also amazingly easy to work on and are cheap to buy. Replacment parts are cheap, and the aftermarket is small but still decent and suprisingly still growing, one thing helps is the motor is basically the same from 91-98 and mildy changed in 99-02 and all the parts basically are interchangable if combined correctly. One thing that does hold the saturns down is lack of R+D. By this I mean aftermarket intake manifolds, headers, fresh blank or billet cams, direct tuning software, etc, etc… Things that a small business has a hard time presenting to the public. Regardless even with out these we do pretty damn good. These cars arent expensive to mod, just wise decisions have to be made. Anyways, I just hate how saturns are given zero respect but a comprable or similar car is help high up.

Some mentioned a saturn being a bad chassis or platform suspension wise, why and how do you figure this? Just for an example, this seems pretty good to me : http://www.spswebpage.com/spsracing/articles.php?articleID=thundersports_2003_01

Another good site is : http://www.differentracing.com/

And I understand about the investing money into a “lesser” car. But when looked at realistically these cars arent horribly “lesser”. If not a daily driver, these are great easy to work on cheap project cars.

My point to all this. Nothing. Just think twice before hating so fast please.

my last response also. just one other point to make for at least my case…when i got my car…i knew nothing about cars…i just wanted one that ran lol so dont think i went looking for a cavalier thinking i was going to make it the fastest thing ever or work on it “just to be different”. its just the way shit happens, and im sure im not the only one. believe me, im definately saving most of my money for something a lot better, but until then, why not have fun with the cavy?

oh and choko, whens that beast gonna be done?

A Saturn is just a 1st gen Neon with less power, worse handling and way less aftermarket. Hell, it might even be uglier too. I didn’t think that was possible.

my last response: saturn owners are all faggots.