In need of a home inspector please.

If the house was built in 09 Ryan should have blueprints on file which specify the insulation used in the walls. If it’s a 2 x 4 wall, it’s typically R-13 to R-15 if fiberglass. I don’t remember what the code was in 09 but it should be R-38 in the ceilings. Most new construction requires a NYS energy calc. sheet done by the designer submitted with the plans but I’m not sure how Ryan does it with so many units per year built. Don’t know if they’re still using the prefabricated homes but I think they are. I wouldn’t bet on a great deal of “above the norm” energy saving measures. Just sayin.

when i had my house inspected the guy had a FLIR hand held thermal imager. it was a pretty handy tool particularly since the house has in-floor radiant heat. it made it very easy to track down where the zones where and if they were operating properly. we were also able to identify a couple of areas of leakage at the sill plates.

the big thing that the guy said he often finds when using it is missing insulation or gaps behind trim and such. he said he had seen many times where insulation isn’t installed below or fully around a window…basically anywhere that might require substantial cutting. from the outside it is really easy to tell if there are any major leakage areas or missing insulation. if they don’t charge a substantial amount more i would go for it. the guy i had didn’t charge anything extra for it, i think he just had and liked to use it. i’ve often considered getting one for myself although the price tag for a decent one has slowed me down.

Who was your guy? The NSC Home Inspection guy recommended a few posts up does offer Thermal, but it’s an extra charge.

I’m having a hell of a time just finding an inspector, because they all say the same thing, praising their work and knowledge.