Innovative Tuning Blog

I’ve missed a few days of blog posts but wanted to get something up about Newman’s Skyline GT-R powered BMW which I tuned for more boost today on 93 octane pump gas.

After checking to make sure the car was running as I left it, I started bringing the wastegate duty cycle up until the boost went over the 8 psi wastegate spring pressure. As the boost started to go up it was clear that I would be able to achieve Neman’s goal of 450 whp on 93 octane with no external injection.

Here’s a graph showing some of the pulls during the tuning process. I’ve chosen these ones since they’re close to the boost levels we decided on for the boost by gear setup I’ve calibrated via the ViPec standalone ECU.

After the pull to 449 whp shown above Newman and I decided we had to go a bit further to break the 450 whp barrier. I knew there was a good amount of room left to grow so I bumped the boost up a bit and made a small timing adjustment which resulted in a pull that I aborted because the car spun the tires hard on the dyno.

After adding some weight to the trunk and adding some volunteer “passengers”, we were able to get a pull in with less wheelspin. You can still see when it spins going into boost in the following video:

high quality vimeo video:
http://vimeo.com/11200475

low quality youtube video:

And here’s the graph of the high pull in the video:

After dyno tuning was complete, I set up gear calculation and then boost by gear which is now set to provide 12 psi in 1st and 2nd gear, 16 ish in 3rd gear, 22 ish in 4th and a little more in 5th gear. In the future if Newman adds a wheel speed sensor on a non driven wheel I can set up active traction control for him uses % slip calculation based response to get the most performance out of the available traction.

Pretty sweet stuff!

LOL at non stop shit eating grin of “passengers”.

lol idk why spec but i laughed my ass off seeing you on the back of that car. nice work guys, some impressive numbers. going to try and break the 500 mark??

is he ever going to his full boost in 5th lol? why not have 4th and 5th the same psi

great video, love the look of surprise on newmans face when it says 495

“i made a little extra…” LOL

I need to find time to get over there with the conquest. Hopefully ill be getting ahold of you soon. I ran out of weather last year lol

He said it broke loose at 120 mph when he drove it and I don’t have the boost set where it’s making the 495 whp yet so there’s no point in going for more until he does something to increase traction.

4th and 5th are set the same, but boost will be different due to the increase in load.

When’s the next dyno day?

wow :tup: well then that makes sense

Hey Mike, If you get a chance just wondering how everything was going with my silver S2000. Thanks again Mike

mike just got done with my car, 512/417 final numbers…

I’ve been too swamped to report on everything that’s going on lately, but I wanted to touch on a few highlights. I just spent much of today tuning Paul’s beautiful 2003 Evo 8.

Paul was looking for better drivability and more power out of his car so he decided to switch his tuning from MAF based to speed density. Using a series of mods to the stock Evo 8 roms I built a speed density based map for his stock ECU. He installed an Omnipower 4 bar MAP and a new IAT sensor, removed his MAF and installed a 4" intake with a new cone filter.

This being the first stock ECU Evo I’ve converted to run via speed density, Paul and I were both skeptical as to how well it would go. A few hours later I was very happy with how it was going. Drivability was awesome from what I could tell on the dyno and we later confirmed that on the street when we went for a test drive together.

Great drivability is a wonderful thing, especially on a car like this one that makes over 500 whp on our Mustang Dyno which is one of the few remaining Mustang Dynos out there that hasn’t been monkeyed with to inflate the numbers. For comparison, an Evo makes about 200 whp on this dyno when stock.

The dyno chart speaks for itself. Big power, stock engine except for cams, gasket, studs, 100 octane from the pump at Delta sonic.

Here’s an engine bay shot. Once again, great work putting the car together Paul. It was a pleasure to tune!

And then we have Brian’s 2004 STI. Last year Brian told us he wanted a ten second street car and we weren’t allowed to take anything out of it. A/C had to stay. His custom carputer had to stay. The surround sound system with amp rack, amps, subs etc. in the trunk had to stay too. Nothing could be removed from the interior, and the car had to drive well because this is his street car.

After much thought, we arrived at a setup that I’m quite confident is capable of ten second passes, perhaps more, and drives like a dream. There were some key components which made this possible. The first was our weekend warrior sleeved shortblock coupled to a pair of our stage four cylinder heads with 272 cams. Without a good base, the power Brian was looking for simply isn’t feasible. This package allows for big power without a lot of boost due to increased cylinder head flow and efficiency, plus it can handle lots of boost if necessary.

Next we used one of my all time favorite turbos, the Precision 6765 dual ball bearing turbo. This beauty of a turbo is a great match for this engine package and what Brian was looking to do. It can support plenty of power on pump gas and just keeps flowing when you crank up the boost in race mode.

Two other key components were the ViPec standalone ECU and ID2000 2200cc injectors. Without this ECU I wouldn’t have the control over the engine necessary to dial it in so it drives smooth as can be despite the head work, cams, etc. and the new style Bosch injectors do everything you could ask for. The provide plenty of flow and as far as I’m concerned they tune better than any low impedance 1000 or 1250cc injectors I’ve tested. We built a full custom fuel system for this project including a Bosch 044 pump, -8 stainless feed, Aeromotive FPR, check valve, and filter to make sure the rest of the system was up to snuff.

So far we only have the car set up to run 93 octane pump gas on a daily driver tune, but this is not typical daily driver power. Stock STI’s make around 200 whp on our dyno. This STI makes 460 whp at just 24 psi on 93 octane and has plenty in reserve for when I perform a race gas tune in the future.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I don’t have any planned at the moment because the dyno and I are already booked for over a month at the moment.

It’s moving along. I haven’t had time to take pictures of anything other than the couple cars I just did writeups on, but I’ll see what I can do next week.

cant thank you enough mike, car is an absolute animal to drive!

now i need to get a better tire as the drag radials dont seem to work at all now…

Had fun getting pauls car done today. Well except for changing that 4 inch intake on the dyno and getting burned by that damn coolant hose haha. You did an awesome job mike!

:lol: mike had a good laugh out of that as well. i seriously think my ears are STILL ringing after yesterday…

You’re welcome Paul and thanks Chris!

Whose mustang dyno’s have been inflated?

oh damn i can go on a whole slew of names, ill just stick to one… TTP down in FL tampered with the settings on their dyno to make it read high

And this is why we race cars at the track to compare numbers and use dynos for tuning like they were intended…