Innovative Tuning Blog

Yep was working on my car on the other lift on the other side of the shop.

Honestly the last 4 times i have seen a redheaded dude at meets/shops i have thought it was you lol :lol:

Can you dyno a bike and get an a/f readout? I don’t need a tune or care about hp numbers but I need to make sure my a/f ratio is in check.

Hey Mike, car runs great and you guys did a great job. I can’t even tell that you guys had the car apart. It was a fun trip home and I only got a no front plate ticket. Which was as soon as hit my county line.

Not at this time. We haven’t made or purchased a bike attachment for the dyno to hold the front wheel. Sorry!

Awesome! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Today I did my first custom tuning on a stock Audi ECU. The guys at Eurodyne warned that it would take some time to get used to these ECUs and I agree, but I was able to get in there and make the necessary changes on this one. The requested torque functions and others that are confusing when you first see them are now commonplace on newer Japanese ECUs and older and newer GM ECUs so I’m already familiar. Each ECU has it’s nuances, but the bulk of the adjustments are universal so I’m focusing on learning the little vehicle specific quirks.

This particular car was purchased with a chip already installed. It turns out the chip was terrible, offering no real gains and a big loss in horsepower up top as we found by baselining the car, having the chip removed, then running the car on the dyno on the stock ECU mapping.

After that I loaded a stage 1 flash from Eurodyne. For whatever reason, this particular car needed to be run a bit more conservatively in terms of fueling than the stage 1 flash was set up for to avoid knock detection. After a number of attempts I arrived at a mapping that retained the power the flash had gained AND didn’t result in knock detection. I also adjusted the VE table for boost, boost PID table, and N75 duty cycle tables to get rid of the spike as peak boost is achieved and smooth the car out slightly in some other areas. At the end of the day their stage 1 flash was a great base and the adjustments I ended up with were small. I’m very happy with their mapping for this setup.

This graph shows all three tests with the red lines being the final mapping. As you can see, the gains in the low and mid range are enormous. A peak torque gain of 33% just from tuning a basically stock car is unheard of on most platforms.

The resolution in the timing map didn’t allow for the level of timing control that I’m used to so the graph isn’t quite as smooth as some, but you wouldn’t know it when driving the car on the road.

Our customer Erik has offered his car up as a test bed for this new platform and in the coming months we’ll be running it with an upgraded exhaust, then upgrading injectors, then the intercooler, and then the turbo etc. so we’ll get to go through the common mod path for a 1.8T car and show everyone which mods are the best bang for the buck etc. I look forward to this new challenge as I get further into the VW/Audi ECUs.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I tuned this today too…

have you tuned any 16g dsms?

hopefully this weather clears up so i can make you shit your pants later!

Yes. Dozens over the years.

happen to have any dyno graphs “handy” . i’d dyno my car but i have several boost leaks and i don’t really feel like fixing them while i still have my current setup on lol

His Forester was fast to begin with… can’t want for a ride in it since the tune!

Sorry I don’t have any on the current dyno setup.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Clearly I’ve fallen behind on the blog again. We’re going full out at the shop and I was here 8:30 am til 3 am Monday and Tuesday this week trying to keep up with everything for our customers. I’m leaving out most of the work being done at the shop this week, but wanted to get something posted.

Tuesday around 1-2 am I checked on Jason’s 06 STI. He retired it from drag racing since he’s working on a new project and just drives it on the pump and meth tune he used to run consistent low 11’s with on street tires.

Each spring I ask our customers with more heavily modded cars to stop by for a check up. His car continues to make about the same power which is always nice to see. I barely made any adjustments at all since he takes good care of the car.

At 10am Tuesday I started tuning AJ’s 2001 Celica turbo on the road using the AEM FIC. I tuned it to 6 psi and off he went. Sorry…I forgot to grab a picture of this one.

The guys were working on intercooler piping for a mkIII supra, wiring on an S2000, teardown on an STI engine, gutting the TGV’s on an 02 WRX and installing a meth kit install on Darrell’s 09 WRX which I tuned later that night. (Tuesday)

Here’s the graph from Mike B’s 02 WRX which I tuned after the TGV’s were gutted Tuesday afternoon.

And here’s Darrell’s 09 WRX which I previously tuned on 93 octane. After the guys put a meth kit in it he had me perform an aggressive pump and meth tune late Tuesday night.

Wednesday I checked on EE06STIs STI and everything looks good for his upcoming track day aside from skyrocketing oil temps. He’ll have to keep a close eye on those until he’s ready for an oil cooler.

I got some partial throttle tuning done on Beven’s STI late at night and then put some miles on his new engine this morning before shop hours.

Today I retuned Big E’s Audi A4 1.8T awd. With just a few changes this car has really come alive and we’re just getting started.

Eric installed a turbo back exhaust a couple days ago and brought the car back. We installed some 800cc injectors (these will come in handy when the turbo gets swapped) and I just retuned the car for the new parts. The results were pretty staggering in terms of percentage gains over stock for the money spent. +65% torque at the wheels and +41% whp over stock (59% gained over the way it came in on the terrible chip tune).

The stock side mount intercooler is doing a terrible job of cooling the intake charge at this point so that seems to be the next item we’ll upgrade.

I’m loving the progress and gains on Big E’s A4. Keep the updates coming.

Mike you have a PM good sir… :tup:

its pretty lame a 35r’d STI with a built bottom end and stage2 heads with a header only makes 50more hp than a completely stock 09wrx with meth…

co-sign on that

I thought that 35r’d sti was mainly for a DD and safe tune and the dood with the 09 wanted a balls out tune?? if so it makes perfect sense to me?

theyre both on pump/meth , the difference is 35r guy spent 1500 on a turbo, 5k for a motor and everything else $$$$.
lame

I hear what u mean, that’s def a lot of cash to drop to make moderate power levels but it looks like to me if he wanted to up the boost and make a lot more power that car would be well north of 400whp with a decently aggressive tune

maybe i should reword it and say: thats pretty impressive for a bolt on 09 wrx. lol

GT35R costs $3,250.00 what you talkin about. It gets expensive.