Innovative Tuning Engine Packages and Rebuild Services

We are building/rebuilding 5 engines (1 DSM, 1 Type R, 1 2JZ Supra, 2 STi) this month and I thought I’d post the info on a couple of them as a reminder to those considering their options for engine builds. All of our regular customers know we offer high quality crate engines and rebuilds, but some others may not.

DSM:
This 6 bolt engine came in out of the car with spun bearings and a heavily scored crank. The crank was in terrible shape, to the point where using another crank made sense. The customer sourced another used crank from an automatic car. Someone had tried to get the pin out of it in some awful fashion and mashed it up. The remaining mashed up metal was removed and the surface was cleaned up.

The rotating assembly was balanced.
Before: 2.0grams @213 deg and 3.1 grams @ 235 deg
After: 0.1 grams @ 212 deg and 0.2 grams @ 229 deg

The block was warped so it required .004" removed to get it true. Then it was surfaced for an MLS gasket.
The block was CNC bored and honed using a 4G63 specific deck plate.
The rods were clearanced.
The rings were file fit.

Tolerances on the engine are:
rod bearings are within 0.0001" of each other
main bearings are within 0.0002" of each other
piston to wall clearance are within 0.0002" of each other
Yes that’s ten thousandths and those zeroes make me happy. Of course each rod was fit to each bearing with exacting tolerances as well, but seeing them all that close together is a good thing.

The block was:
baked
blasted
washed
painted
and all freeze plugs were replaced

Parts used in new assembly:
Clevite bearings
Eagle Rods with ARP 2000 bolts
JE Pistons and Rings
Balance shaft eliminator kit

Some pics:
http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/Products/EngineBuilds/DSM/4G63InnovativeTuning1.jpg

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/Products/EngineBuilds/DSM/4G63InnovativeTuning2.jpg

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/Products/EngineBuilds/DSM/4G63InnovativeTuning3.jpg

STi:

This customer installed a rebuilt stock turbo which failed after a few minutes of operation, dumping tons of oil into the engine causing it to lock up and crack a ringland. Think about that the next time you’re eyeballing a cheap turbo. :wink:

The engine was disassembled including splitting the block halves.

The block and crank were in great shape. Only 2 thou needed removed from each block half to get it true before surfacing each for an MLS gasket.

The block halves were baked, shot blasted, and cleaned.

The rotating assembly was balanced.
Before: 1.0 grams @ 51 deg and 1.3 grams @ 340 deg
After: 0.2 grams @ 18 deg and 0.2 grams @ 339 deg

The block halves were CNC bored and honed using Subaru specific torque plates.
The rods were clearanced.
The rings were file fit.

Parts used in new assembly:
ACL bearings
Eagle Rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Arias Pistons and Rings

Some pics:

Now the STi heads:
They were warped, requiring 8 thou removed before surfacing for MLS gaskets to get them true.

The customer’s valve springs were so shot they had no pressure left in them. They were replaced with dual springs as were the retainers and spring seat locators.

The head castings were cleaned.

The valves were replaced with 1mm oversized black nitrided units. The valve seats were cut with a 3 angle valve job to match the new valves.

All clearances were checked and buckets were replaced as necessary to get them all into spec.

http://innovativetuningdl.com/images/Products/EngineBuilds/Subaru/STiHeadRebuild2a.jpg

Both engines have been bagged and are awaiting further assembly of accessories. We’ll be installing ARP Head Studs in both etc.

If you have any questions on a buildup of your own don’t hesitate to ask us.

Mike McGinnis
Innovative Tuning
298 Hinman Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14216
(716) 873-7360
sales@InnovativeTuning.com
http://www.InnovativeTuning.com

:tup: to you guys over there.

okay i will admit i had no idea sti engines were 180 like that. interesting

Noob.

Yeah, they’re stupid. They need 4 cams and can’t even keep up with the old single cam pushrod guys. Plus, wtf is a block gasket. Weak!

lol

:tspry:Good stuff Mike

awesome mike :tup:

lol. :tup:

but boxers sound so sexy.

Word! until assholes decide to put equal legnth headers on them. IM LOOKING AT YOU JROD!!

Pimp! I miss doing engine building and all the measuring that comes along with it, even if it is a pain in the ass.

I didnt notice a difference. Crazy650 has them now, he actually was telling me today that he somehow cracked them. :bloated:

ok mike when i was in last weekend i saw that sti block… and i wanted to ask you if it was from a lawnmower or something lol

god i know nothing about stis

Its sort of surprising that this many people have never looked under the hood of a subaru. :slight_smile: It is a funky little configuration but its really well balanced and makes that awesome exhaust note.

i always was like “wtf am i looking at?” when looking at a suby engine :gotme:

You should be like “man i thought my spark plugs sucked to change”

Werd. I don’t have that problem any more Rob :gotme:

u know ill be in touch!! have to go day by day to see if my motor survives :ohnoes:

lol, :roll:

I would rather have trouble changing my spark plugs than dealing with mitsu dealerships.