Input wanted: 2006 STi, 04-06 EVO, 00-05 Celica GT-S, 02-06 RSX Type-S, 06 Civic Si

More than likely going to be getting one of these cars sometime later in 2008 for a new daily driver. I enjoy driving the RX7, but I wouldn’t mind a more fuel friendly daily driver, and I’d also like the peace of mind of a new, reliable mode of transportation. The RX7 is going to be sold to a very good friend of mine most likely (unless he flakes), otherwise, I’ll keep it as a track car.

I’m just wondering what input you all have on these cars I have listed, VALID info., NOT just your opinions.

If you happen to own one of these, please post what you like/dislike about them.

They’re all appealing to me for different reasons. Ultimately, I’d like an STi, which is currently the tentative plan. But I know the rest of the cars I listed are all cheaper to step into. They all offer better fuel economy than my RX7, so that is no more of a selling point to me for any of these cars I listed.

Again, any valid info. you have, please post it up. Thanks in advance.

i would go with the 05 sti… it will be cheaper and only lacks the forged internals. If you don’t plan on making huge power with it you can save some money.

Simple question, why the 2006 STI over the 2004/2005? AFAIK there aren’t significant differences that would effect it’s DD applications. An earlier model would be cheaper, and if it’s what you are ultimately looking for…?

Since you’ve driven Hondas, youll appreciate the RSX, but it’ll never become more than a DD, and you’ll never expect it to. The same goes for the Celica. However that might be a good thing, as you never invest money into modding it or w/e.

I’ve driven all the cars except an 06 civic.

For DD duty only ( winter driving included ) considering entry cost, my list is:

1. RSX
  2. older STI
  3. civic?
  4. Evo9
  5. Celica

06 civic si or evo. If it were me and a daily weighing in the factor that you already have a toy and a house that requires maintenance. I would buy an accord.

insurance price is going to be a big factor in that… the civic being the cheapest then maybe the celica then the rsx then the sti with teh evo being the most expensive…

To clear up a few things:

1. I’d prefer an 06, bec. I like them more, both for looks, and they seem to have the best reliability. Plus I’ve driven eesti’s quite a bit, and I love it.

2. Don, I don’t want an Accord, I want something performance orientated. Even though your argument is completely valid. Even still, a nice Accord could still cost the same as an RSX Type-S or Celica GT-S, and still be as reliable.

3. As far as insurance, I got a good driving record, and a Lotus, I doubt any of these cars will hurt me to insure more than the Esprit.

u have 2 nice sports cars…buy an RSX or Civic Si

i’d only go with the evo or the sti because FWD is teh gay, and you know you’ll end up doing more than just DD’ing this car…if anything you’ll end up tracking it, so why not get something that’ll obviously be more fun and perform better.

i’m very torn though, i really really like the sti over the evo…but, if an evo 9 is an option…ugh…sex…

as soon as my new job starts… aka training is over, I’ll most likely make this thread… saying 30-40k dd… for western new york… what should i buy…

needs… manual… fun to drive… etc etc… 335, e46 m3, sti, or evo… those are my stipulations… im done with a FWD car… and i want to be able to have fun on a road course with it… so AWD for the winter or rwd for fun…

that being said… sti and evo are my votes… I <3 geoffs evo… and chinos and newmans sti… i just am more partial to white cars

Don’t get the Celica.

Hey, it’s my thread you racist!

:slight_smile:

And Andy, whatever I get, WILL BE, for all intents and purposes, kept stock. Ok, maybe I’ll throw in an exhaust, or some wheels, but I still consider that stock. Plus, I owe the RX7 nothing, I can totally keep it as a track car if I want. With the sale of my Civic, the RX7 was in many ways free. Not free, but you know what I mean.

Anyways, back to the real main point of the thread. Overall, what is the best choice here for the car to be kept stock? considering cost performance, reliability, blah, blah…

Care to elaborate?

STI, Evo > Anything Honda or Toyota FWD

EDIT: Reading > Me, about wanting more than just a personal opinion/experiences.

DOUBLE EDIT: lol if you still live with Mike whenever this comes up I’m sure you would catch tons of shit if you went the Evo route.

civic si.

/\ fuck fwd…

Evo or STi.

I hate working on sti’s but if you don’t mod it, it won’t need work except maintenance which oil changes on subies suck because the oil filters are a pita and the best way to change the oil is to drop the whole undertray. With the Evo you can mod it cheaper and still have fun. An evo 9 mr just sold in va beach for 24k with 4k miles… not bad.

After driving and modifing both cars, I’m partial to Evo’s for cost, driveablity, driver feel, ease of work, and sound(I hate the boxer 4 at least you can put an exhaust on the evo and not be heard from a mile a way).

Thanks for the info. Gary.

Shockwave, MPD has already threatened me about getting an EVO, I know he hates them, haha.

But either way, I’m keeping all my options open, and these are the 5 cars I’ve narrowed it down to. The purchase will prob. not occur until the fall of '08, but I’m doing my research now, and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can on all these cars. I want to make sure my choice is a sound one.

Dont forget about maintenance cost of Evos and STIs. Talk to someone who follows the recommended maintenace schedule on a EVO, its pricey. If your looking to save money I would rule out both as daily drivers. Both get lousy mileage in comparison to civics and celicas too.

If you want a fun car that can be daily driven and want to use for some motorsports then go with the EVO/STi. If you want a budget daily get a civic.

How bad is the gas mileage on an RX-7 if you’re considering an STi for “better” mpg?

I’d go with the RSX, even with my hate of FWD. The main reason being you already have some great RWD cars to drive when you want a proper handling car. The RSX is going to get way better MPG, have the nice ride and quality of an Acura, and with a set of snows be more than enough for Buffalo’s winters.

Daily driver? The only one I would consider (with a fleet of other ‘fun’ cars) is the RSX. Civic Si makes me want to vomit, the STi and Evo are horrid DDs, and I’m not quite sure why the Clieca was even mentioned. On top of that, STi and Evo aren’t really in the same class as the others in terms of gas mileage, insurance costs, or overall ownership costs.

That said, they are infinitely more enjoyable to drive, and AWD which is good for a year 'round car, however snow tires on any of the FWD cars will make them plenty capable.

Just an odd collection of cars I guess.

it’s joe, and its a car decision - logic is never used, and it’s always odd.