Installed header and now...

So i installed my OBX header today, and had no problems at all until i got to taking off my 1 (top most) O2 sensor I really had to give it heck to get it off and started to strip it so i cut the wires to fit the closed end of the wrench (and a ton of bolt out), fine it came off but in all the excitement i dropped it on the floor (concrete) :hit and though it didn’t break and i put it all back together, put everything back together and now when i give it about 90% throttle im hearing what sounds like knocking but its very loud (usually between 2-3000 rmp). I only hear it when im in gear. So my question is… Could i have broken the O2 sensor and that’s what is causing the knocking (no engine light yet), I know it could also be the heat shelding above the D/P and i will be checking that tomorrow and re-checking my bolts for tightness, but i does sound very steady??? Any ideas?

Jimmy
PS sorry for the long description.

Hum, i might have gotten a little post happy i just found this in the FSM :scared

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharkracer/FSM.jpg

So darnit i guess first thing is to find a new O2…

Ouch man. They aren’t cheap either, from what I heard. I’ve seen the front ones go for as much as $140 USD from dealers in the states! Hopefully that will solve your problem. And next time, ask around for tools man, I have a 22MM open ended wrench I haven’t used since my install that you would have been more than welcome to! :smiley:

Ouch, when we did Xrider’s his were a bitch, we took it over to a muffler shop and asked them to take it out for us, it took them like a min. def. saved Rob some cash, that sux man, you could have bought the JWT BSR kit for how much that is going to run you. But I hope it solves your problem, although, if it was your 02 sensor it should throw a code right away if something is wrong with it cars that run off of OBD II are extremely sensitive and throw codes almost immediately that a causing huge issues.

When the oxygen sensor fails, the computer can no longer sense the air/fuel ratio, so it ends up guessing. Your car performs poorly and uses more fuel than it needs to.

I got this from howstuffworks.com so now i pray and hope thats the problem too, thats all i got for ideas… :oops: it sounds like a drum roll on a pice of tin

ouch man that sucks! yah we tried at my header for a while. but that thing was on there solid, and yah the shop did it in like 30 seconds it was great, and free. but oh well hopefully you can find a decenlty cheap O2 sensor. good luck!

I destroyed my sensor as well when I installed my header. I just run it with the plug in the hole for a week until my new one came in. I didn’t notice any problems so I would unhook yours until you get a new one. The CEL light comes on though.

Well i don’t have a CEL yet so im kind of confused?, But i am hearing allot of clunking around today that i didn’t really hear last night so who knows maybe i will get lucky and it will just be the pipes resonating with the heat shields under the car, or of course banging into them. But today i will try unplugging my sensor to see if it helps.
Thanks guys helped me lots!!! :partyman:

Cavey - was that your 1st O2 sensor(before pre cat) as well???
If so how much did you pay?
Oh ya and were did you get it form???

Take your car into Mills Nissan for servicing and get them to figure it out, your car is still under warranty and they are REALLY mod friendly.

I agree… This way you won’t do more damage

Why don’t you try borrowing someone else’s 02 sensor, and see if it still makes noise from there.

I might be able to help you.

It would be a lot easier for an 04-06 to help him, the 02-03 are a bitch to get the o2 sensor out of cause both of them are on the header and it makes it real fun to try and pull the header out, plus that is a lot of work having to remove the Altenator to reach the bottom left bolt, but if you are willing to do it that is a nice gesture. But I would just take it to Nissan.

Actually mine is in access now cuz I installed my header awhile ago as well.

I also used some anti-seize so it shouldn’t be too hard to get her out.
:E

Oh yeah, next time a bolt won’t come out, spray a generous amount of liquid wrench or pb blaster a couple times and overnight.

It saves u alot of trouble

:oops: Ya tomorrow i will post a picture of the old O2 treads i don’t know how it still screws into the new header… Well a couple of friends think it sounds like a leak more than anything but ya i WILL be bringing it to Mills, they will have a new O2 for me tomorrow ($138, ouch) i just cant see there being anything else wrong with this setup, o well thanks again for all the help i will keep updating until its fixed i guess for now i will just tell people i have an old VW beetle engine (sort of what the knocks sounds like) ha :roll:

And you never told us? :roll: How did you like the mod? Is there anything else on your car that we don’t know about, like a new exhaust 8)

I only saw one sensor in the header. I got it from Gord Scott Nissan in red deer, but I work at a ford stealership so I get trade prices. I think it was $102.00 You still have your heat shields in place?

I do have my heat sheilds under the car but they seem to be no were close to any pipes, but i put in my new O2 today so i will see if that helps…
(old one)
i think i had one tread left holding it in…
http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1248/1248863/O2_01.jpg
http://users.nexopia.com/uploads/1248/1248863/O2_02.jpg

PS, the noise is still there so its goin in to the shop…
Jimmy

wow… Impresive.

I don’t have an exhuast yet, and I don’t think I will have one for awhile. No money :rolleyes:

My car sounds like crap with race header and stock exhaust, but I’d rather live with the noise than risk pre-cat failure.

My mods so far are intake, header, new rims, and the nismo decal kit. (no luck on getting motor mount inserts)

Pics:

Also how do you quote? I know there’s a button, but it doesn’t say the name of the person quoted, just the word Quote.

And Sorry for thread jacking. :E

Its in the top right of the post you want to quote, Nice car BTW, so did your headers make any funny noises at all???
PS- you should get the WS2 sounds good even with no cats