Insurance rates

Does anyone know what I should expect in regards to insurance prices when I move to Cold Lake? Are they generally cheaper then the rest of Canada? I’m 20 with no claims, tickets, accidents for the last 4 years, any idea what I would end-up paying?

Right now I pay $250 per month for liability in Ontario. :loco:

i go through meloche monics through the TD bank, i pay 130 a month for my 240. might be around there…

Insurance companies in Alberta can’t discriminate based on age or gender any longer. They must go by your driving record and of course where you live, i.e., City vs small town.

I would guess that the insurance in Cold Lake for the same driving record should be cheaper than a bigger city in Ontario. Only way to find out is to ask I guess.

That is nice to hear.

I’ll ask what my rate will be with my Military insurer.

I’m 25 with 2 no fault claims, a bunch of tickets, no accidents, and I pay 130/month for my Spec V and my 240SX (with an SR that they know about and insured for appraised value).

My broker is Aon Reed Steinhouse.

im 21 and paying a little over 300 a month oon my silvia and taurus, both full coverage withought collision, im getting hosed but there is nothing i can do until my policy expires.

23 and I pay 80 a month for full insurance with 50 dollar deductable. I have had alot of tickets, but only one accident, that wasn’t reported, so I didn’t get any deductions for it.

Yes, but you have public insurance out there in Saskabush. Not private like here in Alberta.

Yes, but you have public insurance out there in Saskabush. Not private like here in Alberta.[/quote]

You mean money hungry? SGI(our public insurance) has pulled in a huge profit this year at rates like that, so tell me why those private companies charge more? So they can make even huger profits? SGI made such huge profits last year, everyone who had a car insured with them last year is gonna get a 8 percent refund cheque this month. It pisses me off that private companies are so money hungry, they not only pull in a profit, they pull in a retarded profit.

Kent, you can change insurance companies any time. You don’t have to wait for it to expire as far as I know. Then again, mabe I hvae no clue.

What’s wrong with insurance companies making a profit?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to pay any more on my policy than I have to, but these companies (In Alberta, anyway) are private companies. They EXIST only to make money. I think it’s funny how people lose sight of the fact that profit is not a dirty concept - how would you like it if you started a business and then people complained that you were making a profit? Now, of course insurance is required by the government and that insurance should be somewhat regulated, but have you seen the profits the banks are making? Let’s worry about them first.

Think about it this way, sure, you’re paying your premium for insurance, but how many cars get written off in Alberta every year? That money has to come from somewhere…not to mention all the money that has to get paid out for injury claims and so forth. What happens if you cause an accident that kills someone and are successfully sued? That $2500 per year premium you’re paying to the insurance company just cost them a million dollars or more.

And don’t worry guys, if you keep a relatively decent record it will get better as you get older! My Sentra only costs me about $75 per month with $1M Liability and Full Collision.

When insurance companies are making billions of dollars a year, I’m sure they could afford cut my insurance by half. Then again, none of us really have too much of a choice so stop bitching. Insurance is a necessary evil. Its funny how they persuade you and then when you need them, they take forever to process stuff and don’t want to deal with you anymore. Oh insurance, I wonder why there are not more private insurers out there

Yes, but you have public insurance out there in Saskabush. Not private like here in Alberta.[/quote]

You mean money hungry? SGI(our public insurance) has pulled in a huge profit this year at rates like that, so tell me why those private companies charge more? So they can make even huger profits? SGI made such huge profits last year, everyone who had a car insured with them last year is gonna get a 8 percent refund cheque this month. It pisses me off that private companies are so money hungry, they not only pull in a profit, they pull in a retarded profit.[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong but you also have no fault insurance. It’s the lawsuits that cut into insurance comapanies profits. No lawsuits = cheap insurance.

It’s not the problem with insurance companies making a profit, it’s how much profit do they need to make. SGI pulled in a HUGE profit, with what most ppl see as low insurance costs, well they had a huge enough profit to give everyone a 8% refund on their insurance from last year. Yes we have no fault insurance, but you don’t have to take no fault insurance, and there is no extra cost to take tort insurance(where you CAN sue someone). The problem is that these companies, instead of pulling in a BILLION dollars profit in one year, they want 5 BILLION dollar profit. To me ONE BILLION should be enough. This is profit above what they paid out for ppl getting sued and claims, you have to remember. It’s like the manufacturing industry for wheat, they aren’t paying the farmers any more for their grain, but somehow they keep raising their prices for bread, cereal, etc. Inflation for no reason is bullshit!!!

You don’t understand how much a benefit having no fault insurance is. Yes the insurance companies are making money, but not the insane amount everyone thinks they are. My dad is the president of an insurance company and I’ve seen how much they make and I take his word when he says many companies are in the same boat.

Kent, you can change insurance companies any time. You don’t have to wait for it to expire as far as I know. Then again, mabe I hvae no clue.[/quote]

i was told by my company that they would charge me a fee to cancel my policy…

Okay, then why does SGI make so much money? Like I said they are not NO FAULT automatically, any person has the choice to go NO FAULT or TORT INSURANCE(which you can sue with). There are less than 1 million ppl in saskatchewan, and they charge less. How do they as a insurance company make so much and not complain. To me it just sounds like those private companies are just whining babies, pretending that they are not making much money so the consumer doesn’t complain too much. I really think it’s pathetic how some insurance companies in Alberta have Specials on insurance sometimes(like having 10 percent off this week only and stuff like that, that’s horrible) Oh yeah, Alberta drivers are worse, I guess that’s why SGI makes alot more money? (is this last statement correct? If not, then why do they charge so much?)

I don’t know, I’m paying less now than I did when I was in BC with a worth-nothing car! BC has government insurance as well, as I’m sure you know.

My yearly insurance in BC was about $1150/y with a $800 Toyota Corolla and PL/PD/500K Liability.
My yearly insurance in AB is about $806/y with a 2004 Nissan Sentra and Collision/1M Liability.

So government insurance isn’t a guarantee that you’ll pay less. What does guarantee you’ll pay less is not getting tickets/accidents. When I was 19 I got 4 tickets in 4 months and haven’t gotten one since. So, if you keep your nose clean you don’t have to pay out the ass. Also, shop around - agencies are looking for different clientele. AMA wanted to charge me $2500/y for the same thing I found at my current rate here at a local agency in Stony Plain.

My insurance is brutal… 365$/month. I’m 19 Full Coverage on a Spec V. Have 1 accident, no tickets.