Insurance tricks

Long before I moved out of my parents house we found a cleaver way to get around this exact scenario.

We had 3 cars and 3 drivers so therefore I would have had to be a primary driver on one of the cars. The work-around was that we had one of the cars ownership (my moms) signed over to my Grandfather. He then had it insured at one of those insurance places that caters to seniors…I dont remember the name of it but it doesnt matter. After doing so he “gave” the car to my mom as a gift (you apparently can do this between family members) at which point she drove the car under his ownership while covered at that insurance provider.

The other 2 cars were insured at a different provider, the first under my father and the other under my mother thus making me a “secondary driver” on the vehicles.

This little loop hole meant that we had three cars but insurance was none the wiser. It worked really well until I moved out and decided to legitimately insure myself.

After he “gives” the car to your mom and signs over ownership would it not mean that it were your moms car hence 3 cars in your household? not notifying the insurance company of this doesnt change anythign does it?

I’m so confused, if you juts said I would be convered if I crashed my friend’ car without being on any policy then why aren’t i gonna be covered if i crashed my mom’s??

Oh and lending cars ftw!

I’m so confused, if you juts said I would be convered if I crashed my friend’ car without being on any policy then why aren’t i gonna be covered if i crashed my mom’s??

Oh and lending cars ftw![/quote]

Honestly, the best way to find out is to call the insurance company (your mom’s insurance company) and ask them what’s covered and what’s not.
Honestly though, just add yourself to her policy as a second driver and have a peace of mind.

Oh and lending cars ftw![/quote]

Honestly though, just add yourself to her policy as a second driver and have a peace of mind.[/quote]

I"m not THAT baller! And I’m scared to call cause what if they’re like “wtf that homeboy lives there? why isn’t he on the policy??” and they’ll own me :frowning:

I got t-boned a couple weeks ago driving my moms mini-van, its a write off. If I wasnt on her policy I’d be up shitts creek.

no they wont give u a 10 day without insurance…i have insurance therefor i can be covered on the car im buying and drive it home. If i didnt have insurance i would go to the insurance company and either get a 10 day insurance or a whole policy for that car

on my policy with state farm, i am covered under any insured or uninsured vehicle…therefor when i drive someone else’s car its important for me to have my insurance in my wallet just incase i get pulled over. But the car does have insurance so you wont get a ticket…

I got t-boned a couple weeks ago driving my moms mini-van, its a write off. If I wasnt on her policy I’d be up shitts creek.[/quote]

says who. Did they actually tell you that? or are you jsut saying that ?

no they wont give u a 10 day without insurance…i have insurance therefor i can be covered on the car im buying and drive it home. If i didnt have insurance i would go to the insurance company and either get a 10 day insurance or a whole policy for that car

on my policy with state farm, i am covered under any insured or uninsured vehicle…therefor when i drive someone else’s car its important for me to have my insurance in my wallet just incase i get pulled over. But the car does have insurance so you wont get a ticket…[/quote]

Okay, but even if you didn’t have any policy at all, you’d be covered under their insurance…right ?

no because you dont have insurance. In ontario, in order to drive a vehicle you must have insurance

I would appreciate it if you showed me where it says that. I thought it’s the vehicle that just has to be insured.

Because by your logic someone with a G1 can’t be driving because they don’t have insurance…

Look Vad, what Rob is saying is that you YOURSELF have to have insurance of your own ,that covers this kind of incident if it does occur. Its not the car that needs to be insured, its the driver, the car can go either way. THATS the liability kicking in that makes up 70% of your payments (too lazy to quote the person, you know who you are).

ANYHOO, back on topic guys, i just went and bought a 2004 Saab 9-3 2.0Turbo, with a wholesaler who is a friend of ours, got it DIRT cheap compared to what they actually wanted :smiley: So he explained a few things to us:

i am now thinking of either doing:
1.Putting my 240 as my dad’s recreational vehicle, which i think entitiles him to be primary driver on more than one vehicle (if it works, this is a dream of a snag)

OR

2.I will put my dad’s car under his buisness’ name and then he will be the primary driver of my car.

What do ya’ll think?

exactly brrrup brrrrup

You guys have to differentiate between what is legally required for insurance, and what is covered by the policy.

http://www.autoinsurance.gov.on.ca/english/insurance/auto/undautoins.asp

You may be surprised at what the bare minimum does and does not cover.

Rules of Fault Determination

I recommend a quick scan through all of these for those of you not familiar with insurance.

Resize your sig asap, or SON will make one for you.

Don’t resize it, I wanna see what these guys have up their sleeves. XD

P.S. Nutta and/or GT, you should take that pic of the locks and make it your avatars.

Hahah I’d be curious too, but I’ll edit it later tonight. for now, its just the text.

Insuraaaaaaaaaanceeeeeeeee

Please.

Osad, If your parents are primary on all three cars, then you can drive the car without worrying as long as their policy cover’s third party drivers.

Basically, that means when they lend the car, they lend the insurance.