Insurance?

This will be my first time insuring a motorcycle, I’ve done a little shopping around and have gotten quotes ranging from $230 - $2,300 / year.

But there are so many options and levels to choose from that the whole process has left me pretty mystified.

Can anyone offer some advice as far as where I can skimp, and what I should definitely get…and at what levels?

The number one choice is between full coverage and liability. As a rule of thumb you get full coverage on any new machine (usually a lack of choice on that part since, you don’t own it, the bank does and they want their items insured) however with the benefit of the bout I’ll assume you’re buying the Ninja 250 without a loan so it’s going to be your call between liability and comprehensive.

For a bike such as that, full coverage is a little bit of a stretch and might cost a relatively high % to the MSRP of the actual bike, however it would still be a good idea for at least the first year. With that said, full coverage isn’t used for regular parking lot accidents, as the increased premium after reporting wouldn’t be worth the trouble of fixing it yourself so the only real use for full coverage is a worst case scenario in which the bike will be beyond repair. At the same time however in that type of the accident the condition of the bike is the last thing on your mind.

Locations to skimp? Passenger coverage would be one for starters. You’ll be very unlikely to have any passengers for two reasons 1) You’re a girl so no man in his right mind will want to be a passenger on the bike unless his favorite artists is Elton John. 2) It’s a Ninja 250, no matter how much of a fantastic bike it is for the rider, it’s well too underpowered for having a passenger on it, and the chasis design, weight distribution and tire width could make it dangerous even.

What you shouldn’t skimp on is your own health coverage, it won’t effect the premium drastically but the coverage increase is well worth it, since medical bills add-up quick. Just ask Code Blue, I believe his broken bone alone ended up being about a quarter of a million dollars worth.

Realistically it’s not that much different from car coverage, find out what you want out of it and go with the cheapest rate after shopping around.

Don’t forget that MSF will also help you save 10% with most companies.

omg vlad that was a massive reply, im not eveng onna read it yet LOL im just gonna say if your going to get full coverage, and your paying a loan for the bike, make sure the insurance payment isnt higher than your bike payment, because that doesnt make no fuckin sense to me, my insurance was 250 a month for a bike im paying 144 a month for me, so if im going to pay more for the bike just so they can charge me another 500 dollars to fix it… fuck that I got 1000 deductible and and lowest insurance possible…

souds crazy but I look at it like this, i dont drive like a fucking asshole anyways, the only way my bike is going down is if somone hits me, in that case im fucking suing them if im still alive and not retarded (more than i already am lol) so my insurance wont do jack shit if its someone elses fault, where they could pay for my damages and shit…

also, for 250 a month i rather save that money, pay the bike off faster, and if something happens i got the money to fix it, vs dumping mega loot into insurance bill for nothing in return other than replacing your totalled bike for 500 bucks oe what ever, but to be honest in my situation thats not even worth it… if it gets totalled like i said, im suing who ever runs out in front of me, like lawyer and all that…

if i dump the bike my self, well im just a fucking moron and at that point i just should stop riding

Give Mark LeMorta a call at Liberty Mutual. He’s a very good friend of mine and the rates he has are very good as well.

Contact info:

Phone: 782-2541 Ext. 51749

E-Mail: mark.lemorta@libertymutual.com

Tell him Jason Rubino referred you.

get liability for others maximum, so if you go down and your bike skids across teh ground and slams into a person becuase you made a msitake you ahve lots of insurance money to cover them sueing your ass.

I have state farm and for a CBR 954RR I got quoted at 1023/yr for full coverage and they actually cap out on liability $254/yr max no matter what cc’s. This was before my MSF discount…so 10% off of those would be accurate. State farm is a little different than a lot of other insurance companies because they don’t look at the type of bike. All they want to know is the year of the bike and the engine cc’s. They ask you what it is (i.e. Honda CBR954RR), but they don’t ask what type of bike it is (i.e. Supersport, Dual-Sport, Cruiser, etc.). Just for an idea a 600cc bike was ~450/yr full coverage or ~180/yr liability. On your 250 I could only assume it would be even less than that. For a Supersport bike I couldn’t find anyone to beat them…

im payin 700 a year because i did an allstate deal with my friend who has an office, but im gonna switch it when i putt he car on the road to the cheapest shit possible

dam, i paid $330/yr with state farm on a 05 R6 for full coverage…being over 25 helped me out a ton with them…

yepp it does help alotttt

Ended up going with Markel Bikeline insurance… $168/year.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NUMBER???

nvm found themm on google 743 a year no coverage… peace

LOL. Helps to be a female with a clean driving record, I guess.
Also helps to have only 248 cc’s. ;D

ahh 248 and female… yeaaaaaa

sweet that’s pretty dirt cheap!

One more reason to start small :thumb

ya 168 aint shit they shoulda just been like… ya know what… its on the house… have fun

:lol

My KTM625, first time rider :lol, full coverage and 500$ deductable… $174 Progressive!!!11! LOL thank you enduro class! :giggedy