Intercoolers Z32 (specific)

I am going to buy a new set to replace my factory IC’s. There is a big buzz around FMICs right now on TT.net and everyone is slamming the Apollo and other FM’s. Having said that I was already decided against the front mount for the sole reason that my cooling/air flow would suffer causing higher heats elsewhere.

I am torn between going with the Stillen and HKS SMIC’s. Price point there really is no difference. Of course on TT.net all those that bought and endorse Stealin… I mean Stillen products lay claim to their superiority. Has anyone with a Z32 purchased the HKS SMIC’s and if so what’s your review on the design, quality or overall comments on them. According to the sales rep I have been speaking with at UltimateZ the HKS have the best air flow beating out Stillen and Greddy. They sell all three so I am hoping they are not biased either way. I have not found any good reviews or comparisons out there yet.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

…Dan

Hehe… first of all Dan, you’re asking this sort of question in the wrong forum. There are only a small few of us Z32 owners here, I’d be surprised if there’s more than 4 or 5 here so far total, and you & I make 2 of them.

I agree with your assessment of front-mount intercoolers. Not a good idea on a Z32.

But on the side-mounts, your HKS vs. Greddy I believe your info is incorrect. If you do a search on tt.net you’ll find Kyle’s (SGP) flow tests from a while back. Greddy had the highest flow of the three, not HKS. Stillen has the largest frontal area, plus the benefit of available custom-fit air guides ($$ though), but a bit more pressure drop.

I think your decision should be Greddy vs. Stillen. You will find lots of proponents to either. I have the Greddy’s, and have no complaints. And Kyle Puckett’s Z ran in the 10’s with the Greddy’s, so they can’t be a BAD choice.

I personally do not like Stillen as a company but their intercoolers are one of their few really good products.

Tough decision…

lol I know, I just can’t bring myself to post anymore on on TT.net. Too many dick heads and questions never get answered rather the spend too much effort flaming posts and giving advice half the time that doesn’t even relate to the original question.

I might have got my facts mixed up like you said, I’ll look more closely at comparing the greddy vs stillen. The price on those are compareable as well and not really a factor.

…Dan

I ordered the Stillens today from Ultimate Z. $950US + shipping. Hopefully they make it in by Thursday next week to give me time to install before the first SCC event at the end of the month. Also grabbe a set of subframe spacers, try to get rid of the wheel hop.

…Dan

Dammit Dan… what are you trying to do… gimme a run for my money or something?? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m gunnin for 12’s this year, this will likley be my last major upgrade for a while. :twisted: lol but I wouldn’t worry, I would still classify myself as a rookie driver and I don’t think I am running as fast as my car will put out. I am going to dyno at the track at the SCC if the mobile truck is there again to see where I am at for HP.

…Dan

Oh yeah!! Well, so am I! :smiley:

You just better not bump me outta the Quick 8, eh! :wink: I’ve made it there the last two times I’ve competed, and I plan to stay. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I think “Stu’s Dyno” went out of business, but I’m not 100% sure. As well I heard some rumors about the lack of accuracy and consistency in his dyno results.

I am going to buy a new set to replace my factory IC’s. There is a big buzz around FMICs right now on TT.net and everyone is slamming the Apollo and other FM’s. Having said that I was already decided against the front mount for the sole reason that my cooling/air flow would suffer causing higher heats elsewhere.

I am torn between going with the Stillen and HKS SMIC’s. Price point there really is no difference. Of course on TT.net all those that bought and endorse Stealin… I mean Stillen products lay claim to their superiority. Has anyone with a Z32 purchased the HKS SMIC’s and if so what’s your review on the design, quality or overall comments on them. According to the sales rep I have been speaking with at UltimateZ the HKS have the best air flow beating out Stillen and Greddy. They sell all three so I am hoping they are not biased either way. I have not found any good reviews or comparisons out there yet.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

…Dan

Hehe… first of all Dan, you’re asking this sort of question in the wrong forum. There are only a small few of us Z32 owners here, I’d be surprised if there’s more than 4 or 5 here so far total, and you & I make 2 of them.

I agree with your assessment of front-mount intercoolers. Not a good idea on a Z32.

But on the side-mounts, your HKS vs. Greddy I believe your info is incorrect. If you do a search on tt.net you’ll find Kyle’s (SGP) flow tests from a while back. Greddy had the highest flow of the three, not HKS. Stillen has the largest frontal area, plus the benefit of available custom-fit air guides ($$ though), but a bit more pressure drop.

I think your decision should be Greddy vs. Stillen. You will find lots of proponents to either. I have the Greddy’s, and have no complaints. And Kyle Puckett’s Z ran in the 10’s with the Greddy’s, so they can’t be a BAD choice.

I personally do not like Stillen as a company but their intercoolers are one of their few really good products.

Tough decision…

lol I know, I just can’t bring myself to post anymore on on TT.net. Too many dick heads and questions never get answered rather the spend too much effort flaming posts and giving advice half the time that doesn’t even relate to the original question.

I might have got my facts mixed up like you said, I’ll look more closely at comparing the greddy vs stillen. The price on those are compareable as well and not really a factor.

…Dan

I ordered the Stillens today from Ultimate Z. $950US + shipping. Hopefully they make it in by Thursday next week to give me time to install before the first SCC event at the end of the month. Also grabbe a set of subframe spacers, try to get rid of the wheel hop.

…Dan

Dammit Dan… what are you trying to do… gimme a run for my money or something?? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m gunnin for 12’s this year, this will likley be my last major upgrade for a while. :twisted: lol but I wouldn’t worry, I would still classify myself as a rookie driver and I don’t think I am running as fast as my car will put out. I am going to dyno at the track at the SCC if the mobile truck is there again to see where I am at for HP.

…Dan

Oh yeah!! Well, so am I! :smiley:

You just better not bump me outta the Quick 8, eh! :wink: I’ve made it there the last two times I’ve competed, and I plan to stay. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I think “Stu’s Dyno” went out of business, but I’m not 100% sure. As well I heard some rumors about the lack of accuracy and consistency in his dyno results.