Is it worth anything? 1971 Mach 1..

I’m trying to help a friend who doesn’t know much about cars. He got into one of those “hey man you know all that remodeling work you did? I’ll give you this car I have no money”

Its a 1971 Mach 1 that is in semi rough shape and was built as a drag car supposedly over 1k hp. There is no title but I think a bill of sale is possible.

This guy is poor and I want to help him. What is the best course of action? I plan on taking it to my shop to try and start it. I can restore it but is it worth it considering everything engine related is aftermarket? What about lack of title?

Is it worth anything?

Prob a couple thousand. Price drops a good amount after 1970. 71/72 is a 2 year only body style so some parts are hard to find. Post some pictures, don’t really think it’s a 1k hp motor.

[ATTACH]37287[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]37288[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37289[/ATTACH]

Looks like a POS and no where near 1000hp anything lol

Looks pretty bad.

It is most likely covered in a layer of dust, either way , you telling me he got screwed? :smiley:

So just give it a wash and clean and throw on craigslist? (If it starts ha)

The hp numbers were supplied by the owner lol.

It’s a hard sell. Very undesirable year. I’d put it up for sale. Hope your buddy wasn’t owed a lot of money.

I would also try to find a way to get a title. Just my $0.02.

71 was the only year for the “work glove air cleaner” so this may indeed be very rare.

x9999999^9999

I’d be surprised if it has 300hp. with no title and a not desirable year, it isn’t worth much.

He was owed over 5k but doesn’t know much about cars or know english very well. The guy that owed him money did a good job convincing him that the car instead of cash was a good deal. Then again it was better than nothing…maybe

When I saw it in person, the engine definitely looks modified, but definitely not in the high numbers. There was some drag win competition sticker on the windshield from 1999.

Its sad that there are POS’s out there that do this to people who do honest work but don’t know better.

To be fair, the guy may have honestly thought his ratty old Stang was actually worth 5k. You see people ask stupid prices every day for piles on craigslist.

If he doesn’t know much about cars, research the car, find out what it has and doesn’t have, clean it up, post pictures on CL and get it sold.

Cars prior to 1973 do not have a title, you need a transferable registration for vehicles 1972 and older.
It’s much easier for cars '72 and older to get them registered, even if they don’t have a registration.

That car is NOT the POS that everyone in here claims it to be. What is the VIN, that will tell you what engine it came with from the factory. '71 was the only year for the BOSS 351 and those go for $80-$100k in mint condition. Other engines were a 429 big-block, a 351 Cleveland, and a 302. In mint condition a Mach 1 with the smallest engine will still fetch $20-$30k.

I did a quick eBay search and most of the Mach 1’s were $25-$40k, in excellent condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-351ci-Mach-1-/322603049780?hash=item4b1ca3e334:g:uNgAAOSwvVFZcKfZ&vxp=mtr

Here’s a shell and a bunch of parts for $5k

Typical BOSS 351:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-/382219676024?hash=item58fe116978:g:cXMAAOSwH1lZrsVs&vxp=mtr

I was just coming here to post that it’s not all doom and gloom as some have mentioned. Curious to see pics of the entire car.

Too bad you’d have to actually put 25-30k into it to make it worth… 25-30k lol

Nobody has seen the body yet and they’re bashing it.

Shit if the body is clean enough and its a desirable trim level… it could be worth 5k easy.

Thanks, I didn’t want to make it seem that easy without truly knowing. I know for Motorcycles it’s easy to get a new title. Somehow I was unaware that they didn’t have titles before 1973.

I agree. This engine has old school (hard to find) 429 Cobra Jet Aluminum heads. This 429 CJ could easily have 475-500 hp and that big shot solenoid, flow limit is 600+hp.

What are the cast numbers on the engine block?