Is it worth it? LS1->TDI trade

I met up with one of my bosses friends today to look at a trade.

My car is:

1998 Firebird Formula

95,000 Miles
Options:
-LS1 5.7 Liter V8
-T56 6 speed transmission
-Charcoal cloth interior
-Hard top(More rigid car for drag racing if that’s your thing, no leaky/squeeky t-tops, rare)
-AC(works very well, due to it being an absolute necessity in Florida, therefore it was well maintained)
-Power locks and windows

Modifications:
-Pacesetter Ceramic coated Long Tube headers
-Off road y-pipe
-Borla Cat-back exhaust
(These 3 here are worth $1500 in exhaust alone)
-LS6 INTAKE MANIFOLD
-Ported throttle body($600 for intake parts)
-Coolant bypass(Throttle body, for cooler intake charges)
-Welded Sub-frame connectors
-EGR delete
-Bosch performance O2 sensors
-Ram-air air box mod modification(Just airbox, not the hood)
-3.73 rear gears installed 600 miles ago
-Trans-am Chrome 17’ wheels, with newer tires.

Maintenance:
-Freshly changed oil, 300 miles ago, mobile 1 synthetic
-New water pump
-Coolant flush
-New serpentine belt
-New plugs
-New wires
-MAF cleaned
-Rear end rebuild (600 miles ago)
-New brakes(Rotors&pads)

Needs nothing
The car KBB’s at $5800, however It’s probable sell value is around $6800-$7000

The trade in question is for:

1999.5 New Jetta GLS TDI 160k miles
5spd
1.9L Turbo diesel
5 speed
160k miles
PWL/PWW
PW sunroof
AC
CD changer
Cruise

Mods:
Garret Hybrid turbo(Not sure on size)
High performance injectors(Not sure on size now)
Hard piping
FMIC
EGR Delete
Chipped
Boost+EGT gauge
CAI
3 inch turboback exhaust

Maintenance:
1500 miles on a new timing belt
1500 Rebuilt motor(Carbon cleaned up in heads, forged pistons+Crank, new oilpan)
New struts, ball joints, bushings, control arms.
New brakes
New tires
New clutch and flywheel(Single mass)
New glow plugs+Harness
All new gaskets,(Head included OEM)

Car is good for 300ft/lbs at the wheels

Needs: Clean job, Engine mount, new tune, heater core. Car throws Check engine light due to EGR being unplugged.

Car KBBs around 5600. This cars pretty B/A for a DD.

Worth it?

Ugh, I would rather have the fbod unless you are super into diesel and getting mpgs

what kind of mpg is the tdi getting with the mods?

55 MPG. Everything listed actually helps the car breath better which leads to better gas mileage at normal operating speeds. You just can’t step on it and expect the best.

huge :picard:

you’re going to want something else in 3 weeks anyways, who cares

Seems like a decent deal if the little things on the TDI are taken care of first.

Go fuck yourself. I’m proud all of the cars I’ve ever owned rape the shit out of whatever you drive.

What I do with my time, money, and possessions(BTW which i solidly profit on almost all of my car deals) is my business and not yours.

GTFO of my thread.

i can buy someone else’s car too that has mods n rape yours as well

here let me go buy a 450hp CRX n rape on ur fbod all day :lol: because thats what i care about.

either way, it doesnt matter what other people think because: “its your business not theirs”

What do you care about then? E-thugging it up all day on NYspeed to bolster your fucking post count and be a huge duesch all day long?

Like I said, go fuck yourself.

Do it so these threads can stop.

Its comparing apples to kangaroos.

Get what you want and the important thing to remember is that you dont need this forums approval to do it.

im not the one saying “go fuck yourself” to someone i don’t know:roflpicard:
FBod has made you tuff eh

Why was the motor replaced already?

Do it so these threads can stop.

Its comparing apples to kangaroos.

Get what you want and the important thing to remember is that you dont need this forums approval to do it.

I know what I want, that’s not the point.

I was asking if it seems like a fair trade.

im not the one saying “go fuck yourself” to someone i don’t know
FBod has made you tuff eh

Why was the motor replaced already?

The motor was replaced because the guy had the engine bay all torn apart when he was replacing the original turbo, clutch, and oil pan and he was only head studs away from tearing the entire motor apart. The block still had its original crosshatching so he decided to have the head decarbonized(The exhaust ports were clogging with soot and carbon, the pictures I saw were disgusting) and he put forged pistons+crank while he was at it to handle the added boost.

F-bodys are just cars, but I hate people that feel the need to stir shit up online it pisses me off beyond belief(Hence why I’m being a fuck). I buy and sell cars because normally I try to make a profit or I’m just done with said car if I’ll never see the money I put into it back(AKA the ROFLCPTER WRX). On the otherhand, now its time to be more practical and pick up something comfortable because I’m physically sore from driving 400 miles today. I love this car it does its job perfectly and it makes me happy. It’s just not a practical DD.

id say do it, i like f bods dnt get me wrong but it seems to be a good deal, and it’ll give you a nice change for a while. just make sure your not trading for someone else junk, that its in as good of working order as yours is. either way good luck.

ahhh i want my car sold and ill buy the firebird!!

is he willing to sell the car outright? It seems like it would be a better deal to sell your car and then buy his, because you will pocket some cash then

I trust the guy as hes really good friends with my best friend, and also works for my boss. They know just as much about the car as he does, they would’nt miss lead me.

The whole thing with the trade thing is, I want a TDI, the TDI owner wants a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel truck, and my boss(Who owns said 7.3 powerstroke) loves pontiac muscle.

is he willing to sell the car outright? It seems like it would be a better deal to sell your car and then buy his, because you will pocket some cash then

Even though the KBB is $5600, he just put $4000 in work into it(He has all the receipts in hand may I add) and he wants close to $7000 for it.(Which technically is fair market price for these cars anyway)

55mpg is BS.

real world driving Ive never been in or seen above 50mpg. and I have the 5th gear swap (stupid tall 5th) and never come close to 55.

modded TDI’s dont have the same longevity as a stock.
Broken mount scares baby Jesus. make sure its not broken at the block. didnt I say watch out for that in your other thread. did you check for leaking IP pump? huge expense ask bigwoode

pros the single mass flywheel is worlds above the stock dual… as for trading the F-body I would REALLY think about it. its a nice car and a 99.5 was the FIRST year for the MK4 and a flagged with all the MK4 problems… like brake light switch failing all the time, windows falling into the doors (particularly the power windows), golove box handle breaking, armrest breaking, cruise failing, Ect…

Is the motor an ALH or a AHU block 99.5 was the change over year.

Did you go over the buying section on TDI CLUB?

anyways best of luck on whatever you chose.

Edit: :tup: on the 5speed, glad you didnt go with the auto.

just wondering a little off topic but if i got approved for a loan to buy this car right now and i know there will be interest and all that but if i pay the loan in a month once my car sells will i be charged the interest and all that

i would pm someone on here and see how much it would cost to get said work done, or if the guy knows, since he seems reliable/trustworthy

obv this car will accomplish a lot better what you want it to do than the fbod, is it leather?

seems like a good trade from a standpoint of “i know nothing about VW’s” lol

No, u would only get the one months payment’s interest, the rest of the interest would be neglected because u only took one month to pay it off