Is my turbo blown

Ok guys, here’s my problem.

For the past few weeks my car has being acting weird. If I’m traveling around 3300rpm’s and I hit the gas, the rpm’s jump up by 500 then settle back down and accelerates smoothly. Now yesterday the car was doing it almost every time I hit the gas peddle and this morning on my way to work the car died right out on me, due to an alternator.

So after leaving the battery on charge all day, I put it back in the car and drove it down to a shop I use to work at, where they are going to resolve the alternator problem. But as I drove the car there it was gutless, the car did not create any boost above 3 maybe 4 psi and to get the car moving at a green light I would have to rev the car up to 4000rpm’s. I did a quick look in the dark for a vacuum leak. I didn’t see any. I did see a fair bit of oil coming out from the BOV and around the turbo.

I did a search on here and google for signs of a blown turbo. I didn’t see any smoke coming from the rear. There is a ticking coming from under the hood, could be the fins?

I know the best thing to do would be to get right to the propellers and take a look but I have to work. Does this sound like a blown turbo to you guys? Just trying to brace myself for an up grade if need be.

It’s an SR red top.

Thanks Dan

if there is oil coming into your ic piping. your turbo is finished

alright thanks man, I guess I’ll just have to suck it up.

There was oil in the intake tract after your turbo? High probability that the seals are blown. I am surprised that your car was not emitting large amounts of blue smoke…maybe it is not leaking on the exhaust side (more common), and the oil did not get past the throttle body…

Is this on an stock T25? If yes, suck it up and buy a T28bb after confirming the T25’s demise, don’t bother rebuilding it. :slight_smile:

The rpm thing you’re describing where it goes up suddenly by 500rpm and then starts accelerating smoothly. That sounds to me like a slipping clutch… If your car feels gutless, do a boost leak test, check all the plugs, check all the coils, and then check the impedance of the fuel injectors after unplugging them individually while the engine is running to see a drop in idle. Also pull codes from your ECU.

Report back with what you find.

Good luck.

That makes sense, the clutch; as I have thought it was starting to go.

I didn’t get a real good look at the smoke as it was night time. The car currently sits at a shop I use to work at. The car was down in oil, which was checked just over a week ago.

It looks like it’s all pointing towards the turbo. So I ordered that ISIS kit from Enjuku, it was a couple hundred more then a new T28. I don’t expect the turbo to last that long but it gives me everything I need for an after market turbo, oil lines and so on.