Its time to get a new car. Need some opinions

im not a cobalt guy.Out of the battle against cobalt and srt4 i would rather have an srt4. They sound way better and in most cases are faster. At least maybe not faster than the new turbo cobalt but i havent seen any that arent stock.

I went and test drove one with 86k on it . It was a 2000 and it ran awesome but needed the maintenance done. The person told me the last one they had was the 60k maintenance. I cant find a website that says wat all it needs for the 90-100k maintenance but my buddy chris said theres a guy name james whos awesome with audi’s and will do it for a good price if i buy the parts. I did the timing belt and some other things on my talon but the audi looks alot more complicated. The wrx isnt a bad idea. I can find alot in my price range so ill definately keep that in mind if the s4 falls through

You can say that about alot of cars though.

those rims looks sick :0

Neon is gay. S4 is sweet if you can afford to keep it on the road.

dude… if you don’t know much about s4’s then don’t buy one… haha… they are not simple to work on and they are expensive. they do go consistent 13’s depending on mods, but are in the end german automobiles and need maintenance. you pull the motor in those cars to do about anything, and there isn’t a ton of room. the timing belt maintenance should be at the 105k mark… which is later than it really should be changed. Control arms and tie rod ends are issues with the cars, as they are awd and hefty. properly maintained they are awesome, but the minute you start to treat it bad, it will bring you a world of hurt!

however, with that said, they are much nicer than any car listed thus far and I would totally buy one for a daily driver :wink:

mac…you should know by now the only two words you need in life are: TURBO BUICK

Given the options you present, I say find a clean S4 with fully documented maintenance records including the T-belt done. A LS1 Fbody would be a clear choice if it weren’t for the winter driving aspect. You should try to talk to the Audi-heads and/or sign up on a Audi specific message board to get more details on the cars. I know certain years had more turbo issues, and certain years had a trans issue in that generation, but I don’t recall which years. A good friend of mine had one for a long time, until it broke a t-belt. He had it on some Fikse wheels and I was always impressed with it.

Absolutely no doubt zero question S4 > SRT4. You’ll go faster in the 1/4 for cheaper w/ the Neon, but who gives a shit? You’re still driving the car most associated with general douche-bagery in the entire world. I know there are SRT4 owners on here, so I’m sure I’ll get flamed but seriously SRT4s attract douches like moth to the flame. And beyond that, they sound like crap (you seem to disagree), handle horendously, are built like shit, look horrible, and did I mention it’s a friggin’ Neon? Okay, flame on SRT guys :reloading

If you do decide to finance a car and go the Evo route, get a IX not a X. I’ve driven both, and the X has really lost it. It is smoother and more comfortable, but the interior still has an extremely cheap look/feel and it’s gotten too heavy and soft. They certainly don’t feel as quick, and handling/response has been seriously degraded. I drove a MR so I can say the new tranny is pretty neat, but you really can’t mod an MR since it’ll throw the tranny programming entirely off. But maybe you weren’t talking about a X anyway since it’s not a 4G63 anymore and you did mention the 4G63.

-TJ

how much do you drive?

lol, no flaming needed, I will admit I dont hang out with any SRT owners that much. Most ive met around here arent bad, but over at the SRT forums kids act like hardasses.

Mac, You know what I would recomend… My car barely has shit done to it, but I have never had a single problem with the car. FWD ftl tho

Ya im definately leaning toward the s4. Test drove one and i really liked it. Im currently waiting for more detailed pictures of one in virginia and if its nice im flying down and driving it back. Its a 2002 with 91k but has all the maintenance done. The one up here wasnt a color i liked and it was a 2000.If anyone knows anyone selling one that would be great. This dealership is taking forever to get me these pictures. As for the evo 9 and ten thing. Tens imo are not true evos anymore so i would definately buy a evo 9 mr if im financing. If i can find a 8 for cheap ill buy it straight out.

Sell me your DSM cheap as balls so I can use it for a winter beater :slight_smile:

How about a 2005-2006 Subaru Legacy GT? 2.5L turbo, runs like high 13s stock, four doors, AWD, MUCH nicer than the SRT-4, newer/cheaper to work on than the older S4 you mentioned…should be damn close to your price range too.

I had it up for 3.2k cash but if u give me 2600 its yours.

No thnx on the legacy. Its not for me

cadillac CTS-V. LS powered, reliable, and with the luxury. 400+ hp

Do you even bother reading the OP? He said he’ll have ~14k to spend. You’re not getting a CTS-V for $14k. Kthnxbye.

-TJ

and he wouldnt beable to afford putting in an A/C delco battery instead of a cheaper battery.

Ok, my 540i is an absolute blast to drive.

Yeah, it’s RWD, will be pretty hard to get into the 12s and maintenance will be a little like the audi, but if you can bend on your other factors, the price is definitely right on these things.

There isn’t a huge market for 5 series sedans with 6speed transmissions (when they don’t have the M5 badge on them) so the prices keep dropping. Just figured I’d throw that out there since you seems to be smitten with the refined European driving experience.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125302

This one for $12k is black on black and totally sick.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123378&page=2

Olek’s car is sick. A+ on everything.

5 series are really slow… get the s4

i know of a few for sale semi-local… i just bought an 01.5 in your price range.

Stock for Stock, a 2000 540i and a 2000 S4 would be about dead even through the 1/4.

A 525 might be slow, but the 540s have 280hp, 330 ft-lbs. They are heavy, but a far cry from “really slow.”

no he will just spend 14K and then put 10K into it to get the 400+ hp. and “flyinglow57” will install the battery for you.

i have seen alot of mazdaspeed 6’s going for like 15k with 20k on them. IMO they are a pretty nice looking car and pack a nice punch. 6 speed, turbo, and AWD.