What car should I buy?!?!?

I never thought I would start a thread like this but I did.

I literally have NO car and am driving a swiss cheese Dodge truck. Here is the the deal, I need AWD and I want a fun car. I feel like I have looked at everything under the sun from M3 to ML55. I could get two vehicles; one for snow and one for fun. For some reason I really want an M3 so I have been looking at suvs as well for winter driving. My challange is that my main priority has become power, I refuse to drive anything under 300hp. lol

Or I could just get an RS4(used of course) but they were called “slow” on another local forum.
Maybe a 2004 Disco SE7 and an E46 M3? The Disco may be under powered for me though. :smiley:

What have I missed? Is there an obvious answer?(Incase you don’t know me, European is what I want.)

PS As crazy as it sounds I even looked at a Ford Raptor but, I just can’t see spending $50,000 on a truck that will be worth $25,000 in 2 years.

get a pickup for winter, then buy this guy for summer…atleast thats what i would do…

http://4carpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bmw_m3_coupe_2007_lake-600x450.jpg

^^^ That’s almost my setup. S10 for work/winter and my modded 335 for fun (either season)

Well you like Check engine lights so for the winter a V10 TDi Toureag? E46M is not a bad car either.

Other cars that come to mind.
335i xdrive or whatever awd configuration
A5 2.0T with some mods (really like that idea) OR S5
Total POS for the winter and a 997 (even a base one is cool IMHO)
M5 (E60) with a clutch because you can take the fam in that too?
GL 55 and an EVO from souther states to get back to beating the piss out of a car you really don’t care too much about?

X…

B7 RS4 or B8 S4

awd porsche for year round, like that black with orange wheel one in bracket racers thread.

B7 RS4’s weigh 3800lb but the distribution is 60/40
B8 S4’s weigh 4000lb and the weight distribution is 55/45

Just food for thought.

stock for stock the RS4 is faster, and personally I think B7’s look better, especially with the widebody.

RS4 would be faster than an e46 M3, but bmw’s all the way for handling. Of coarse E9X M3 trumps both of those. Personally I like the sedan because I think it looks better and why wouldn’t you want 2 extra doors when it doesn’t hurt performance at all.

A 997 carrera S is an awesome car. They obviously look better than 996’s and they are about as fast as a stock 996 turbo, plus you aren’t stuck with AWD for a summer car when its hurting performance. I would suggest going with an AWD 911 for a dd but its not like you’re a bachelor so a 911 isn’t a practical dd.

E60 M5’s are also awesome but the point of that car is to dd an awesome car. Springville probably doesn’t treat RWD cars very kindly in the winter.

An E60 wagon with xdrive would be sweet, especially if you get it with the N54 and a stick, I would prefer this to a 335ix just because 335’s are pretty common.

great input so far. Thanks.

The amber glow of the CEL must be hypnotic because I still keep looking at a 2003 RS6. Somebody slap me!
There is just something about 538 lb/ft of torque, AWD and roominess for the fam. Slap me, slap me now!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Oh and what is with Mercedes? I think it would be easier to learn another language than search for a desirable Mercedes on Autotrader. Jesus they have about 1000 model numbers. Ghey.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

997 would love but I don’t think I could afford one. 996 never been a big fan. 993 LOVE but too old for a daily(?)
I really should stay under 50000 miles for a daily.

RS6 you know you want one.

^Umm I said slap me not talk me into it. lol

I feel like the E46 doesn’t have enough powa but I keep forgeting it is 800lbs lighter than the ALLROAD.

I missed it. Did you sell the AR?

I’ll reply in more detail when I’m not on my phone but as posted, the RS4 is not slow unless you’re also saying the m3 is slow. Was there a price range? Seems a bit open if we don’t know what budget were lookng in.

No desire for a v10 S6?

If you want to mod, the new S4 should be in the mix.

/Audi soapbox

Price kind of depends on whether or not I need a “winter” car. Maybe $35000 on summer $10,000 on winter.

What do you guys know about these hardtops? I wasn’t even looking for a vert but it seems sweet…
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=291352945&dealer_id=65042979&car_year=2002&doors=&systime=&model=M3&search_lang=en&start_year=2001&body_style=CONVERT&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=500&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1297710905922&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=599733&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2006&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=1&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=14052&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=36666&awsp=false&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=298&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

With all the options in this thread, an E46 M3 just seems… boring.

Don’t you live a ways out in the southtowns with a really long driveway? Which means that a single-season vehicle would be good for maybe 6 months of the year?

A boosted AWD V8 would be fun all year round…

E46 :tdown:

^Why for?

^^Yeah I definately need a beast 5 or 6 months out of the year but there are always those winter thaw days. :smiley:

Living where you do there’s no way I’d want a summer and winter vehicle. Like Fry said, way too many months per year you’ll be stuck driving some boring truck.

I hear you but, I wouldn’t have a strictly summer vehicle per se.

Why doesn’t Caddy make an AWD CTSV? :slight_smile:

They just don’t do anything well enough to enthuse me.

Look decent
Ride decent
Power is decent

Maybe a turbocharged one? I could get down on that. However I honestly like the Audi stuff more.

Also for not much more I like the 335i WAY more.

The 535xi wagon would be great for the fam but they are fugly.

I think they are sweet.

You could supercharge a B7 S4 avant, I know they will run down B7 RS4’s. Also, keep in mind, e46 m3’s and B7 RS4’s are cars that make power high; they don’t feel torquey. A supercharged V8 S4 makes great torque, and aside from actually being faster, it would feel that much faster because of the down low torque around town.