Shopping for a new car...

still haven’t sold the M5, going to have another go at it soon. i hardly drive anymore so i think i’m going to sell my M5 and put the extra money away for future endeavors (house, new business, investments, who knows). so i’ve been thinking about getting something a bit more practical/modest. i’m also tired of having shitty winter cars that break down, so part of me wants something I can drive year-round.

my preferences:

• no FWD, no automatics (i’m cool with smg/manual of course)
  • prefer warranty, i have no time to work on cars anymore. if it’s out of warranty, something extremely reliable.
  • prefer to spend under 30K
  • prefer something I can drive year round

been looking at 135is, thoughts? I would like to stay brand loyal to BMW but at the same time I’m open to ideas…feel like with a bit of modification I can come close to the fun of the M5 at a fraction of cost. do any of you guys have modded 135is on here? S5 is cool but too expensive for slow…don’t know if I want to own another Audi but those look great, afraid I’ll be bored too. CTS-V is too much bread for the newer one, I don’t think I want to drop 40K. Would be cool to grab a Lotus and a shit winter car but with the M5 I feel like I’m driving my winter car 9 months out of the year, shit kills me and makes me wonder if the expense is worth it.

any suggestions bros? going to try and go look at a 135i this week if my schedule lets me…anything else I should check out I’m missing?

What about somthing like a G37? or a lexus. i think leaving the German family might get you much more of a car for alot less…

E46 3–xi

Cheap, reliable, AWD, cozy. Won’t break down all of the time, but it’s a 10+ year old car, so you know. Maintenance and stuff.

What about an e90 m3? Prices are finally starting to lower on those? Probably will need an extended warranty though, but they are pretty reliable.

B8 S4? Pretty well rounded daily overall.

As for the 135’s, I wouldnt say the are the most reliable cars out there lol, no more reliable than a 335i. And if you are looking at an N54 (twin turbo) it will be a 2010 model or older then, so it will be out of CPO very soon then too. Somewhere in 2010 they went to the N55 (single turbo) little less power and gains on mods. Both of these engines have thier known issues.

I totally agree with you on the S5. Such a nice car, but wayyyyy too overpriced for being so slow and if you want the 3.0 supercharged you gotta get a brand new one pretty much.

This. This is exactly what i am going to buy and do come later this year. I think they are the perfect car for a dd especially if you want to stay in bmw and as jeller said, the prices are dropping pretty quickly. It comes with a decent powered v8, 6 speed, navi, pretty comfy, etc. not much more you need while still being fun to drive. Slap some really good snows come winter and youre set. I drove my e46 m this winter with awesome snows and the thing was a tank, I’m sure the e90 m is even better.

why not stay m5 but go older? e39’s a good generation

Get a brand new 320i. Great car, no question about warranty. I know it isn’t fast. Just a thought.

X…

STI or Golf R?

no matter what you get its gonna suck compared to the ///m lol

you guys peaked my interest with the e90 m3 but they all seem expensive still?

135i/335i are that unreliable? thought just the fuel pump was the major issue and that was recalled - havent done a ton of research though. would be fun to get a chip/exhaust and have some fun with minor bolt on tuning again.

i like the e39 m5 but it’s way too old at this point, probably just make me wanna keep my m5 as it is then. great cars though.

i agree it’s hard to top the m5 but there’s some plusses with something new/fresh. after all i’ve had the m5 for awhile now and it would be cool to try something different. i don’t get to enjoy it a ton so i might as well save some money too.