OMG not another "should I buy"

Yes,
I Change my mind everyday,
Driving the truck daily is kinda killing me on gas, I drive atleast 50 miles a day and at 15 MPG the gas pump loves me.
I’m looking to spend around 5 grand on a car. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a E36 3 series. I’m pretty sure I can find one in decent shape for around the $5K mark with the proper maintence done. Yes, I’m talking 100K+ miles but if it was taken care of It will do me good.
I’m only looking to keep the car maybe 8-10 months.
Basicly I’m looking for a 94-97 325/328 IS. I’d like the coupe over the sedan. Manual tranny is a must, and a LSD is a must too. (for winter driving)
Any one have anything to add to this? I’m open for suggestions, But i’m pretty sure I’m going to get myself one of thse.
I’m going to keep the truck, but this will keep the miles down on the truck.

What should I look for in these cars? I’m sure coldaccord will be chimming in soon…

You’re not going to be getting that much greater gas mileage. Maybe only like 5 more miles to the gallon.

you are looking to spend 5k to get 8ish more mpg? hmm.

That actually makes a lot of sense. An E36 won’t depreciate hardly at all over 8-10 months and 14k miles. If you find a deal buying it and have a touch of luck selling it you could probably buy one with 120k for $5k and then sell it with 134k next June for $5k. I wouldn’t bank on it, but it’s possible. If you can keep your foot out of the throttle I’d bet you’ll see 25+ mpg highway.

If it’s going to be your winter DD, heated leather seats >*. :slight_smile:

[quote=“sedlmeier101"”]

I love the truck…and will Defently keep it for a long time.

[/quote]

posted 5-11-2007

:tup: didnt see this one coming at all :slight_smile:

LOL

Shoot me a price on the truck. I know someone very interested in buying one ASAP.

Wow, you really suck at math.

50 miles a day, * 7 days a week, * 52 weeks a year = 18200 miles a year

18200 / 15mpg = 1213 gallons of gas.

1213 * 3.08 = $3737 a year on gas.

So right there, you’re talking about spending more on a car then you spend all year in gas. Your math and logic = retarded, but lets keep going.

So you pay 5k for a BMW to “save money”. So you still drive the same amount, but for the next year you don’t even start the truck driving only the BMW, driving like an old lady, and getting 27 mpg. So you spend $2076 in gas during that year.

So you “saved” 1660 in gas. But you spent 5k to do it. So you’re 3340 in the hole. Yeah, retarded. But wait, there’s more.

You still have to keep insurance on the truck, since I’m guessing the bank owns it, and even if they don’t it’s not like you’re not going to be driving it at all. So now you’re registering and insuring 2 cars instead of one. You’re young, and I’ve seen your posts about tickets, so I’m guessing your insurance isn’t too cheap. Probably another 500 at least a year to add that 2nd car. So 550 or so for insurance + reg. No 100k+ BMW is going to run for a year without some parts costs, so lets just say another $500 there, being way overly generous on my side.

So now you’re about $4400 negative on your money saving venture. Remind me to never ask you for financial advice. :slight_smile:

BTW, the numbers look even worse if I use your 8-10 months instead of a year.

Come Jay, you should know better than to make false assumptions. Who can point what Jay assumed that is incorrect?

That gas will remain 3.08? Chances are it will go down after the summer driving season is over.

My bad, it wasn’t really an assumption so much as faith that the true motivator is cost savings, not “want.”

The only inaccuracy that I can point out in your proof is that the BMW won’t be worth zero at the end of the year he’ll keep it for. So say he sells it for $4000, then he’s only 400 in the hole. That $400 may be saved in slowing the depreciation of the truck having fewer miles. So he could break even.

Except that I’d bet that the insurance for a year of a 20 year old with a BMW would be more like $1000, which puts him at $600 in the hole.

But there are risks. But I agree with the gist of what you’re saying. It doesn’t make sense financially. If he just “wants” it, it might not be the worst thing ever financially. But I’ve learned over the last year or two that if you’re uncomfortable admitting to yourself the true reason you’re doing something then you probably shouldn’t do it.

Yeah, that’s my suspicion as well, but I can only go with what he posted :wink:

Generally speaking, it almost never makes financial sense to change vehicles JUST to save money in gas. If you’re at a point where you need to change vehicles anyway (loan paid off, lease up, repairs getting too much etc) it makes sense to look at vehicles that get better MPG, but rarely does spending money just for MPG make sense.

Yep, I mean shit a $5000 dollar car will put you $437.50 in the hole in taxes alone.

Judging by what mileage he gets in that truck, he’ll be getting 18-20mpg in the BMW. That truck should get MUCH better mileage. Hell, my friend with an old 12v mechanical injected truck was getting 15mpg.

sounds like its time for a honda beater.

I heart the elaphents in this thread, just because for once I agree with them, and if you are getting 15 mpg with a truck jump with joy.

…but it’s a modern diesel shortbed. It should get damn decent mileage.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:17,topic:33253"”]

…but it’s a modern diesel shortbed. It should get damn decent mileage.

[/quote]

ya wtf you should be getting around 20 mpg… you are doing something wrong, fuck if you want to save money switch it over to biodiesel.

[quote=“brent_strong,post:14,topic:33253"”]

Judging by what mileage he gets in that truck, he’ll be getting 18-20mpg in the BMW. That truck should get MUCH better mileage. Hell, my friend with an old 12v mechanical injected truck was getting 15mpg.

[/quote]

It’s all about driving style… Half the people who claim to get shitty gas mileage probably beat the shit out of the car like they are running from the cops every day.

I see it everyday at every intersection. EVERYONE on the road pulls away from intersections like they are racing to get everywhere.

I prefer to save as much money as I can on gas, not race stoplight to stoplight by going 50% throttle away from the light.