I've had enough of this BULL...you should too

this is so fuckin rediculous.

The state of trees citywide is being jeopardized by ill-advised planting and maintenance methods resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in wasted greenery.

This charge, by Friends of the Pittsburgh Urban Forest, results largely from the work of private interests, but the city does not consistently enforce standards on public rights of way, said Danielle Crumrine, executive director of FPUF.

If it’s only money that matters, at $400 to $500 per tree, investors should have incentive to make sure their trees are pruned and mulched properly, she said. Money aside, “trees aren’t ornaments. They are part of the city’s biodiversity, its web of life.”

In recent months, the city has been under fire for cutting down old trees it deemed hazardous.

But a more pervasive problem is misplanting and abuse of trees, said Ms. Crumrine. Examples are “all over the city” – rootballs still in burlap, their bases cinched with rope; Christmas lights wrapped too tightly for the tree’s proper growth; training braces and wires not removed in time; the girdling of trees in iron guards and entombing of root systems by grates and concrete. These conditions are notable along Downtown streets and in developments that include South Side Works, Oxford Center Downtown and UPMC Shadyside.

Some of these practices – choking by Christmas lights, for example – don’t fall within the city’s purview. But the size of the root well and pruning methods do.

The city requires a root well be at least 3 by 10 feet – a dimension some arborists say is barely sufficient – yet hundreds of young trees throughout the city sit in circles the size of a basketball. It also requires that anyone who alters a tree has a permit.

“We have the rules on the books, but they are not being enforced,” said city Councilman William Peduto.

“What worries me is not the five we know about but the 15 or more that we don’t,” he said. “It’s unfortunate, because in the past five years we have made a lot of strides to catch up on the proper maintenance of our urban forest.”

Mike Gable, deputy director of public works, said the city has cited people for years for cutting trees without permits and has been “getting the word out via the city’s Web site” of new standards and procedures.

The city in January hired an urban forester, Lisa Ceoffe, to work with developers and community groups to ensure proper planting and care of trees.

She said that none of the projects she has started is yet in the building phase.

Keeping tabs on what anyone might do to a tree in the city is “a monumental task,” said Mr. Gable. “When we see violations, we cite people; we need calls to 311 to be made aware of it.”

He said the city is considering whether to cite a contractor of Lamar Advertising for topping three trees on Court Place at Grant Street.

“That job had permission, but it was permission to prune, not top the trees,” said Mr. Gable. “We have made the contractor aware” and may cite or require the contractor replace the trees.

Tom Baxter, director of Friends of the Riverfront, said his organization and other environmental groups have “had a lot of input with the city. We are meeting with the Department of Public Works to make sure riverfront guidelines are being followed.”

In East Liberty, a neighborhood with relatively fewer trees, about two dozen trees planted around the perimeter of the Home Depot parking lot have been topped. Power lines do not interfere above. The trees also have been volcano mulched – mulch that is piled too high around the base of the tree – which is destroying bark tissue, said Matt Erb, FPUF’s arborist.

Park conservators and arborists have for years advised against volcano mulching. Mulch should ring the tree, not too deeply, but leave space around the base.

"When you see this kind of thing happening to trees on their [Home Depot’s] property, someone might think, ‘Oh, this is supposed to be how you mulch,’ or ‘Topping is OK,’ " said Ms. Crumrine. “When you say you have trained professionals in your garden center, it’s hard to believe you would treat your trees like this.”

A Home Depot spokesman in Atlanta said she could not confirm whether the trees belong to Home Depot.

Nathan Wildfire, the sustainable policy coordinator for East Liberty Development Inc., is overseeing a long-term greening strategy for neighborhood projects, but the East Liberty Chamber of Commerce did not know about this initiative last fall when it started sidewalk improvements on Broad Street.

Growing Greener grants from the state required that the money be spent before the end of the year, so concrete work came first, to beat the cold, said Lars Olander, president of the chamber. This spring, 20 hawthorns planted just before an early heat wave were as brown as copper two weeks later.

Ms. Crumrine, who works nearby, said the trees were not watered. Covered with grates, their bases also were wrapped tightly in burlap and rope.

Mr. Olander said the contractor explained to him that the ropes will be removed. He met with Department of Public Works officials last week and said they were satisfied with the scenario.

The Broad Street improvements cost $682,000. Of that, $250,000 was state money. Local merchants raised $100,000 and the Urban Redevelopment Authority matched with $200,000. The trees and grates cost $30,000, he said.

“The trees have new growth and they are now on a watering and maintenance schedule,” said Mr. Olander.

“This will be a case study,” said Mr. Wildfire. “Everyone will agree this was a learning experience.”

these fuckers are out of their fuckin minds. this city is literally crumbling and these fuckin brainwashed psychos are worried we are abusing trees… TREES ARE FUCKIN RENEWABLE!!! you plant news ones!!! the hills of PA are LOADED with nothing but TREES!!! they need to be stopped!

trees that are hazardous need to be removed for public saftey and these fuckers wont let them… case in point… i’m watchin the news last night and i see a tree that fell on a car and killed the man… they showed a view of the tree from its roots and it was hollow… its was a diseased tree that should have been gone but wasnt and it cost a man his life. FUCK THESE MOTHERFUCKERS. this shit makes me purposly want to go out and 187 a few trees…

omg thats funny…the hippies are at it again!..are they chaining them selves to the tree?

Diana Nelson Jones can be reached at djones@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1626.
why am i not surprized the author has both of her last names…

:nuts:

seriously though, i in no way read that whole thing, i’m not going to lie. but my neighbors tree was a complete hazard, ready to fall over but he refused to do anything about it. Until the day a large branch fell on my dad’s girlfriends car and smashed her windshield. Now it’s an ugly stump, if you’d like i could go trash talk it for you.

$682,000 :rofl: that’s 6 or 10 more dump/plow trucks in the winter. no doubt can be used for multi-task other shit during the other seasons

Like removing old trees
:rofl:

how about spend $10 on tree seeds and spend the resf on fawking paving lessons!

I do not live in Allegheny County thank god

fixed

Westmoreland county here

yo get on aim…need help looking for local job

did you guys even read the article? I believe the whole point of the article is we(tax payers) are spending good money on trees and they are either not planted properly, planted in poor spaces, or not maintained. This is a call for concern if you ask me. I think it is good that they are buying trees and improving the urban landscape. But it is ashame if they just plant these 500 dollar trees and let them go to waste.

I don’t want trees to be renewable in this case. Because everytime a tree dies, it is another 500 bucks from tax payers. If a tree is a hazard then it should be cut or pruned. Just for the hell of it pruning for a new billboard does not exactly fly with me.

where’s the beautification department to do the shit . certainly not the city works personel who installed the shit.

your a golfer right? u missed the article two weeks ago when these mother fuckers protested schenley park GC cuttin down trees that were in the way of play… Yes schenley is a public course but NO its not run by the city. these people had no good reason to do what they did that day. in their own way they are terrorists. they are terrorising the tax payers of pittsburgh. yeah when a tree dies the city has to plant a new one because of these motherfuckers… not because they want to. the psychos across this country have forced this issue. maybe we need a coalition for the beautification of POT HOLES.

no whitey, these people make it seem like that are all fine and dandy but they wanna tell you what you can and cant cut on your land. they think they have some God given right to dictate to you what should be allowed. FUCK THAT. you give them an inch and they’ll take it all…fuck a mile. Its done, this green shit is over in my book…

Start hanging people from trees . so tree branches and rope will be banned.
then trees altogether.

it’s “ridiculous”

I pay for good roads, but are they paved good?..

Good to see at least someone read and understood the article (not that it was hard to understand).

The whole point is pure urban sprawl without any trees is definitely not a good thing for many reasons (i.e., poeples health, appearance of the city, etc.) thus why there are codes regulating things such as greenspace and trees. However half assed following of the regulations generally costs as much as actually following the rules but leads to shitty appearance and dead useless trees typically very quickly.

oh fuck you fuck skirt wearing vaginas. guess what? a few trees isnt gonna make the city look any nicer and healthier… how bout these do gooder fucks go pick up the garbage on atwood street and help the rat problem in oakland. that would surely do more good for the city looks and health.

i dont understand why they dont just start paving highways with trees, and use the asphalt to make trees with. It’s the obvious fucking solution.

Are you really getting that worked up over a couple trees?