JT76 - 2010 - Trans am build

So…

I was debating on options for the future of my car/ automotive hobby. After the past season i have gotten pretty bored with my car as it currently sat. I could never get the car to hook at the track, never really went enough to practice, lost interest. For what it was the car was pretty fast. Pulled some pretty fast cars on zee highway, put up some good trap speeds, but it was time for something different. I was going to sell the car. I considered an 03-04 cobra, maybe another F body and start over. Also considered buying something more “responsible” and giving the car hobby a rest for a while so i could then make home improvement threads on nyspeed :mamoru:. After weighing options i just said fuck it, i only live once and its only money right? :mpd:

I was originally going to do a D1sc procharger build, but after some persuasion from a couple friends i decided to go a different route…

Purchased a turbo, Master Power 76mm .96 a/r
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/turbo1.jpg

Guys on Ls1tech seem to have pretty good luck with these turbos and make some impressive power numbers, plus i got a smokin’ deal :slight_smile:

Also have picked up:

Front mount intercooler
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/turbo2.jpg
mototron 60lb fuel injectors
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/PIC_0028.jpg

Picked up a Tial 44mm wastegate and a 50mm bov from speed inc, they are in the mail at the moment.

Also have other odds and ends accumulated for the build like new poly motor mounts, LS6 intake manifold, 2 bar map sensor, GM lq9 truck manifolds yadda yadda

I will be ordering all of my piping, flanges, v bands etc either this week or next week, also need to pick up a tubular K member. The stock K can be used, but the tubular one will allow for better clearance, cut down on weight and generally make my life easier.

The plan is to do a “truck manifold” build similar to Turbols1ss’s. GM 6.0 truck manifolds are mounted facing forward off the heads and merge pipes are fabbed up. Its a simple, proven design. Bill will be doing much of the fab work, while i look over his shoulder and try to learn some things. J&J, Firehawk853 and psychopjv will also no doubt have their hands in this too:)

thats it for now, i will update this as we make progress/i piss away money.

are you doing this on stock block?

:bigtup:

Sounds like you will be in good hands.

Yes, for now. 7ish Psi will make right around 500+ wheel. It should hold together and i have every confidence in Chuck’s tuning. I am having J&J probably build me a block this summer or fall, and then turn the wick up for next season. I will be doing an Iron LQ9 block, stock stroke, forged rods and pistons etc etc. I will know more specifics when the time gets closer.

:tup: more turbo cars.

Sounds like fun! Auto with a trans brake?

:lol: I dont think i could ever give up my 6 speed, wayy too much fun.

Why not the lq4 if you’re planning on doing heavy boost? This seems like it will be a very cool build.

I am not %100 on what the motor will turn out to be. I may also do an aluminum LS2 block to keep the weight down. A high compression motor with E85 would also be a cool/different option to try as well. We shall see, this wont be for a while.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/stanggang1892/turbo1.jpg

:tup: to basement builds! We’ve built a few engines now in our kitchen. I even used a shower at RIT to wash out one of my heads that I used on the green neon, hah.

I kinda figured this was coming. GL on the build I am sure it will turn out great! When are you guys hoping to have this completed?

Gogo power adders :bigtup:

I LOL’d simply because I’m guilty of this offense here:(

Looks like a nice start to the build…looking forward to seeing the progress:tup:

you know i’m down for whatever sir. Lemme know.

Cool, cant wait!

I would like to have it done and running in April. Whenever bill has the time to get started i am ready, i just want to have all the parts needed together so it goes together as smoothly as possible. I am doing what i can in my garage now to save time later. Took the old exhaust off yesterday matter of fact.

Sweet deal, get a hold of me if you need spare hands for anything and I would like to come down and see progress. Whats the goal here? Just a fun cruiser I take it?

This year i want to provide the basis for the bigger idea… I want 700rwhp out of this as the end product. This year make 500 rwhp and have the stock motor hold together for the summer, have a built motor for next year. My transmission is already built, rear end is already built. But yeah just have a fun play thing, go to the track occasionally and run shitty ET’s with insane traps :purextc: lol

That sounds like something I would build! I used to hit a 200 shot on 18" drs for awhile and would go like 11.2 at 135+ before I had money for slicks. Oh and just found this for ya.

I already picked up the manifolds :wink: