JUICEDZ4 build thread

Pulled the cavy out for the first time this year friday pm. Gave it good wash and went for a drive. Put about 20 miles on it… nothing caught fire and I didnt die.

Hopefully Ill get the tune cleaned up in the next week or two and then try to put some decent miles on it for the first time in a long time…

Dan

1 Like

Fast forward 13 months.

Washed it again, and put about 30 miles on it sat and monday night.

Still seems ok. There are a few front end clunks which just might be normal with all the spherical parts and I need to tweak the alignment a little.

The tune is still fat since I now have good fueling, but overall it runs and there are no overheating issues or any leaks etc. :man_shrugging:

I still HATE the boost response. I pulled some of the torque peak boost out so Im not double torque in 1000rpms to see if that makes it more driveable.

MAYBE ill get that tune this year…

Dan

1 Like

Pictures? What are you using for the calibration? I mean spending $500 on a decent dyno tune could help if you’re not 100% on it. I love this thing, I need to get mine back together.

Is it just really laggy?

I had it dyno tuned long ago and will go back again now that fueling is fixed. Its laggy, but then it just ramps up TOO fast. Im going to dial back the boost controller settings a bit, so it might spool a little slower, but at least it wont double torque over 1000rpms mid band.

Right now Im re-configuring megasquirt so i can connect a GM idle valve. Originally I was going to use a ford valve on the mustang TB but it sucked. Ive had a billet IAC adapter forever , finally getting to it now. The idle isnt bad really with zero control other than the TB idle screw, haha, but Id like it better for when the fan comes on etc. I had to move the tach output and boost control signals. Once thats done and reconfigured, and I get the IAC wired in and working I can get back on the dyno.

Also tracking down a clunk from the camber plates. I have some shims and Loctite 609 due tomorrow.

This is where I was at forever ago (2011 - havent really driven it since) running out of fuel at the top end. He basically had to run the injectors wide open to even keep up. The 80# injectors I have should be good for more than 330hp.

2 Likes

The shims and loctite fixed my clunk. I managed to get out for some more seat time, which went well.

I finally finished all the megasquirt and wire harness mods to get the IAC working. Also updated the firmware version of MS to the latest (11years of updates newer…).

Spent a little time dicking with the IAC and suddenly the coolant fan failed. The motor shaft is just spinning in the blade hub. So ordering a new one today.

But… did capture this as proof it moves.

2 Likes

:+1: to proof of life.

1 Like

more detailed update:

I have all my megasquirt mods done now so I have a working IAC. Eventually that will be nice to have dialed in.

Added some shims and loctite 609 to my camber plates so I no longer have front end clunks.

However, my coolant fan died yesterday, somehow the shaft backed out of the blade hub so the motor would spin but the blades just sat there, awesome. New one is on order and should be here wed-ish. At least its easy to get apart. Had to do all this to get access to the lower fan mount bolts - took maybe 30 mins.

Dan

1 Like

So clean…love it.
That fan is a real shit design. Was there a missing half that encapsulated the pin?

Not that i found. It was still very hard to get off of the shaft, which i dont really understand. I think it likely was held onto the fan by the profile of the shaft (ill need to look at it closer) and the pin provided the keying between blade and shaft.

Dan

Awesome! cool to see this thing driving.

1 Like

Believe it or not Hagerty insured my neon lol I showed them the receipts of everything I purchased to rebuild it and it has a guaranteed value of 8 grand for 300 a year.

If you haven’t for the cavy I would, I’d hate to see something happen to the car and insurance gives you blue book value.

1 Like

+1 on Hagerty. I did one of their limited use polices when I had my Fiero in full auto-cross prep. Perfect for a 3rd car that doesn’t get daily driven and agreed value is the only way to go on a car like your Cavy. Getting a KBB value check of $500 if it was totaled would be so unfair.

1 Like