JUICEDZ4 build thread

I worked a tiny bit o the car last night. I planned on using my home made pressure bleeder to bleed the new setup but it wouldnt seal to the fn reservoir. All I managed to get done was make a simple brakcet to support the bias control and the front hard line. oh well.

Ill get the wifey out there tomorrow to help bleed the brakes.

Dan

Im calling the brake swap a success. Had the wife come out tonight and help me bleed them. Then I installed the pressure gauge on one of the front calipers. With her pressing hard, but “normal” the fronts make about 11-1200psi. With her pressing HARD I get almost 1400. This should be more than sufficient.

Now, I did notice a decent amount of firewall flex so I will need to address that with some sort of bracing. Thoughts?

Dan

A few pics of some possible firewall bracing ideas.

I also have the injector bungs ready to be welded to the flange. I came up with some simple spacers to hold the flange up just right so all the bungs will be even. It was way too fn late to start welding, maybee tomorrow.

Dan

Nice. I disparately need to brace my firewall…

looks good love all your builds.

I think Option 1 looks cleaner, but option 2 looks stronger.

I would not use option 2.

Ya, I wasnt super keen on option two either. But its easy to cut pvc pipe and tape it in place. :stuck_out_tongue:

Im not sure I have many other options really. I could run a brace up to the trans mount, but its far etc.

Dan

Option 1 isn’t bad.

im not a fan of both realy, is there a way to brace top and bottom of master to the driver shock tower like pick 1? that long brace to the pass side doesnt look like it will do much.

WEll if the long tube deflects I can always tie the center of it back into the pass side of the firewall. Newman suggests option 1 to keep the bracing in the same plane as the force applied.

Dan

Ok option number 1 in motion. I ordered all the parts to build the braces today, rod ends, 4130 tubing and ends etc. Hopefully chassis shop doesnt dilly dally and the stuff gets here wed. The parts from mcmaster should be here tuesday.

Dan

Managed to get quite a bit done tonight.

I have the firewall braces almost done. I just need to weld the tube ends to the pass side tube and finish welding the triangle tabs to the mounting plate on that side as well (I ran out of shield gas, ugh).

The braces are pretty straight forward. The only part that might need explaining is the mounts at the master cylinder. Basically I just welded some 3/16" bar stock to the head of a 3/8" bolt to create the mounting point for the clevis. The outer mounts are just two triangles that I bought and welded to that same 3/16" bar stock.

I finally got a great start on the crank trigger setup as well. The wheel was easy, it just bolts right onto the outside of the crank pulley (ya, I still need to drill the other 3 mounting holes in it). The sensor mount is in pretty good shape really. Here is whats left to do: tighten up the sensor to wheel gap by machining the bracket on the block thinner, weld the two pieces together (right now they just have one bolt so I could get the angle right etc), shorten the long piece by about 1/16" to get the sensor exactly in line with the wheel laterally. Probably just another hour or so and the setup should be done.

Finally, I think this is how the coils are going to mount. The plan would be to mount them approx 1/2 to 3/4" above the valve cover on an aluminum plate that attaches to the valve cover with some sort of standoffs (maybee something phoenalic to keep heat xfer to a min). Ill prob put some of the gold heat reflective film on the bottom of the plate to help manage the heat. I will still have about 1" of clearance to the bottom of the hood if I space them up 1/2".

Thats it for tonight, er this am.

Dan

Looking fly, as always. The master braces look great!

Such a nice build, I don’t think I ever EVER imagined myself saying that about a cavy. Seriously awesome work.

Hey i see that you have V-band clamps on your turbo, where did you get them.

Thanks

Dan, if you can link me to this build on another forum I can re-build this thread here. I know you said there was another thread somewhere… We’re not going to be able to get the old one back :frowning:

I dont recall exactly where I got those. I did buy some for the Cabriolet project from Silicone Intakes, or was it mandrelbends.com?. Pretty much everyone seems to sell them now. Just check around for the best price. That would be my advice.

Dan

This is probably the one he was talking about…

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/juicedz4-build-thread-t99940.html

And wow, I haven’t visited that site in a WHILE.

^^ you’re not missing much… at all.

Lots of progress tonight.

Finished welding up the pass side firewall brace. I just need to clean up everything and get it all painted or powdered and do a final assembly.

Test fit the modified crank trigger. It needs just one more small adjustment before I can weld it together. Ill fix that up tomorrow on lunch so it will be set to weld up wed.

Other than paint or powder I completely finished up the mount for the coils. I need to order the rubber standoffs to mount them to the valve cover tomorrow and also some small spacers for under each coil. I think Im going to press PEM studs into the valve cover to attach the rubber standoffs to. This way I dont have to worry about hardware coming loose into the motor.

Also tomorrow Ill get my plug wires back to magnecor to be shortened for the new coil placement. I think they charged me like 12 bux last time, including parts. Totally worth it to have them professionally done.

Finally some progress on the intake manifold. The flange other than some mild porting is done. I have the injector bungs welded in and the port holes cut.

I started cutting the tubing for the main plenum and mostly assembled the jig to hold the runners (so I can flare the ends of them to create the velocity stacks)

Thats it for tonight.

Dan