Just a Question

I know I’m going to end up getting flamed probably for this, but is there a way other than Acid Dipping to strip a cars paint completely off and neutralize the rust on it or kill most of it without cutting the frame to shit? I’ve looked into Acid Dipping and it seems the sound way, but it is very expensive, also no place can do a whole shell locally, on top of that it is very time consuming and in reality I am not too sure a s13 would come out alive. Thanks.

Edit: I know sand blasting is another way, but then there is far too much sand still left in the chassis.

sand/media blasting is your best bet, but if its a canadian car be ready to do a hell of alot of patching.

I intend to do alot of patching already, my frame rails have no rot, she holds jackstands no problem, its my floor I am worried about and I want to kill all the rust on it, then patch it from there. Any places I can rent a sand blaster from?

Lol, are you planning on doing the whole car? If so, thats something better left to the pros. any sandblaster readily available to you is going to take probably days upon days to do a whole car nevermind all the wasted sand you’ll go through. if you just want to do your floors, then I’d just suggest cutting the rusted metal right out and work from there.

I want to do my floors and my main structural areas, essentially kill the rust on the important areas, i.e. floors, frame, shock towers, etc.

I think you’d actually be cheaper to get a new chassis at that point. If it were some old Camaro or Charger, yeah spending a few grand on chassis restoration makes sense but its only an S13. you can get a virtually rust free shell from the southern US for under 2 grand

wire wheel the thing

slap a body kit over the rust, no one will know! lol

I have to agree with KA24Power at this point. Getting a US chassis is the best option.

Thing is… the frame is mint, only surface rust, but I want to ditch all the undercoating on it, its like 4-5 mm thick, and there is one hole on the floor, but I want to see what else is wrong with it. I need to get rid of all the undercoating on the chassis then go from there.

^You’ll easily find a mint chassis… you’ll be able to find a chassis that is ACTUALLY WORTHY of being called mint. Not SON’s definition of"mint"

yep, new chassis is a much better idea. i wouldn’t recommend sandblasting unless you’re doing the entire car, taking every nut and bolt out. the sand finds ways to get everywhere, regardless of how sealed you think it is.

Well if I did it myself, how much do you think it’d run me for the whole car? I can get the equipment free just need to pay for sand.