Just bought a new supra, problems already.

hey guys my brother just bought a 90 supra Turbo targa
its got a 7GMTE engine in it i believe, and theres a few problems well i havent yet taken the spark plugs themselves out yet, but i pulled the plugs out and engine oil all over,

.the car bogs down sometimes and shuts off spits out some black smoke not alot but a good enuff amount,

not really any mods dtm exhaust supposedly bigger turbo its a Garret and a hks BOV.

he said the head gasket is gone could it be just that causing these problems?

any help will be appreciated , thanks in advance guys.:cool:

headgaskets are a common problems on 7m’s …

check the oil - if it has coolant u know u need a headgasket

2 common problems you’ve found, the oil/crap in the plug wells - this can be solved with a replacement valve cover gasket and bolt grommet set. and the head gasket, a very common issue, if you have an upgraded turbo setup then be preventative and get the ARP head stud kit as well as a proper HKS/Tomei METAL headgasket. While you’ve got the head off do another preventative measure; get the valve train hot tanked, and the shims checked, they DO get out of spec and you end up with some serious tapping and eventual failure. Very important to replace the intake side gaskets as well on the 7M even a small leak is going to have the car driving like a pig.

^^ all true

also, when replacing with a metal headgasket, esp on iron/alu, it’s very important to have -both- the engine and the head decked

^^^
even more true!

Good god anybody god an idea of what all these parts listed might cost? is it true that if it over heats too much that it might warp the head?

Sounds like a lemon

valve cover gasket sets arnt to expensive, around 20-30 bucks. did the guy you baught the car from seem like he knew what he was talking about because alot of people think there valve cover gasket is there headgasket.

the valve cover gasket leaking would cause smoke to come out of the exhaust because oil getting on spark plugs, and because the spark plugs are covered in oil your car would not run so great.

Supras are money pits, k so i took it to my mechanic and hes gunna give me an update later on during the day, but you guys are definatley right the Valve cover gasket is definatley gone, and its burning coolant so i guess it is the headgasket too. also about getting lines tapped ect. im gunna let my mechanic read those post . thanks guys :cool:

very true , also make sure u dont have a bad case of banana cam, make sure sure your cam bearing journals are within spec, if not it’ll just pull the head up again, u amy need to have the cam journals line honed and repaired, also metal head gaskets have a tendancy to seep oil and coolant out of the motor on occasion , what ive found is a nice layer of brush on avaiaion gasket sealer on either side of the hg is the toughest stuff u can get to put on that works to stop seepage … done it numerous times works perfect

i would NOT put any money in that engine. time for a 1JZ

peace

yeah i think grabing a 1jz would run you just a little more than getting that fixed. i doubt the last owner took much care of it anyways.

fuck you all stick out the gte throw a gasket on there some studs cranks the boost u should be fine for a bit till the bottom end goes the valve cover isnt a big deal and make sure ur wires are clean from the oil and plugs

supras i tell you lol he ended up selling the car