Looking at 1990 Supra Turbo Targa

Pros? Cons? Don’t know much about them. I know they are 230hp/240torque,this one is a white edition with automatic trans(I know,con) but for a DD it is fine. Any issues to watch for?

Overnight parts from Japan is a must for these cars. Just ask Paul walker

they are nice cars, the 7m can be a bastard at times. they eat headgaskets on occasion, check it over good should be a nice DD. Pros they can make decent power fairly easy.

I heard the head gasket issue was on the early cars due to a misprint in the factory manual on torque specs for the head bolts? Did the later cars have issues as well?

The auto trans hates life as well

lovely

dumpy car, buy a jimmy as seen below for an AmAzInG DD

Why does it seem a lot of early model import sports cars had sub-par auto trannies in them? :dunno

I would say from personal expirience that this would not be a good daily driver for sure.

Great project car but in no way would you want to drive this car every single day or in anything worse than perfect weather conditions

Eh. i never heard of the misprint, but you are correct, i have taken apart a few 7m’s in my day (im no expert on them) but 80% of them the head bolts were loose upon dis assembly. also the stock head gaskets are junk. end of story. when you take it apart and it still has the factory gasket it will most likely look like a distorted piece of mush you shit out after a long night of drinking. the updated headgasket isn’t really that great either, from what i have seen/experienced the “HKS Stopper” head gasket is the best solution (fucking expensive). and a torque of 25ft lbs first pass, 2nd pass a 90* turn, third pass another 90* turn (in sequence obviously) Also the deck surface on 7m’s is known to warp / crack I have personally seen this more than once. I am not trying or scare you from the car just stating what i have seen. make sure it runs good, might want to do a compression check and thorough look over before buying look for intermix etc. if you buy it check the head bolt torques for piece of mind. and if you end up popping it. buy a 1j, they can be had relatively cheap now and are WAY more reliable. Good luck!

if you buy it, i would invest in a 1jzgte and manual swap for it, just save up and have it ready to go for when the 7m decides it hates it’s head gasket.

some inspiration:

Drive that ^ to the next mopar meet up eric :rofl:rofl:rofl

buy, swap out for 2J/V160… but if you think Mopar is expensive, Toyota supra stuff shouldnt phase you when you see the prices.

I think you can get a 1J for under 2k now cheaper then a honda swap!

http://www.shopjdmstar.com/product/1jz-vvti-91/?PHPSESSID=75d89ef88202b5d7beb0d68a1385b82f

Complete with Manual transmission ECU/MAF $2500 can’t beat that!

LS1/t56 swap it

I have a 91 with a 1jz swap. Almost running!

If I had to do it again, I would have bought a front clip. Much cheaper in the long run IMO.

For all your swap needs, I love this place:

Driftmotion.com - has swap parts, engines, and clips.

And of course:

Supramania.com - Much better place than Supraforums for MKIII stuff IMO.
Supraforums.com

LMK if you have any questions or whatever. I’ll be happy to answer them. I know quite a bit from the five years I’ve been into this thing…

Exactly what he said. You can def pick up a 1jz swapped car on Supramania for a decent price.

yeah, but a 1J is a D series swap, vs the 2JZ, which is like the K swap:excited

If you have the money for the 2JZ, good luck! Def a great swap. Or you can do 2jz bottom end and 1jz head - 1.5 jz. Good times there.