Looking at 1990 Supra Turbo Targa

well thats why i said the price of toyota parts shouldnt phase him, coming from Mopars.

Plenty of guys in Florida were getting 700+ hp on stock guts on a 1j YEARS ago i know its not a 2j but still its a respectable engine.

oh yeah, its a great engine, just a bit smaller so your limits will be met sooner.

but with something like a 6262 or 6765 it would be awesome for sure. Mk3’s are just HEAVY though

:rofl @ In Honda terms

yes i found this entertaining myself :lol

True that! You can actually knock off a bunch of weight fairly easy, though. Christ, the seats alone are prob 100 lbs. Milk crates FTW!

yeah, helps if you can start with a non targa as well. its crazy how heavy they are though. even heavier than the mk4’s

Fuck, bro, MK4 is like 400lbs lighter or some shit

Def. Mine is a non targa and I’m OK with that haha!

So far I have removed the A/C, the engine is actually lighter than a 7mgte, ditched the seats, ditching ABS, Koyo Rad, 2jz clutch fan, aluminum drive shaft, single turbo, and aftermarket exhaust. Will get a fiberglass or carbon hood and paint it to match maybe next year. I’m thinking that has to be at least 300 lb reduction.

I have a break down of how much everything weighs that someone on the net put together. I’ll post it up here if I can find it when I get home.

the mk3 doors are heavy.

Hell yea. Every time I open them I’m like :wtf

i think they are lead lined.

Shits bullet proof.

this oppie kid don’t know shit bout Supras :rofl :rofl :rofl

If I was going to do that I’d drop a Hemi in it…hmmmmmmm.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough when we go to start it. Yes and I did say WE lol… :ohnoes

The 1uzfe swap is becoming more popular. Its the V8 out of the SC400. YouTube that shit.

I love Japanese V8’s. A Mk3 supra with a 1UZ or a 300ZX with a VH45 has got to be awesome. Like a japanese camaro, only probably more reliable.

Is it true the 2jz is a bolt in? And if so how much of a PITA is the electrical?

the japanese Mk3 supra came with a 1JZGTE, its a DOHC, 2.5l twin turbo engine.

Oppie is in the process of a 1JZ swap, with a single turbo in his Supra.

mostly a bolt in affair, but you have to do a harness conversion

you can either use the R154 5 speed, or be a baller and get the Getrag V160 6speed from the 2J.

people also sell TH350, TH400 kits for them.

Yea, they both def bolt right in there. I have awesome electrical diagrams for the body plugs that make it really easy. Unsure of 2jz wiring, but I know there are pinouts and diagrams out there. The 2jz is a bit of a squeeze with the stock twins, but it will fit. But 2jz with single, not an issue… :slight_smile: You really don’t have to lengthen the harness on the 1jz, which is what the PITA is. Just extend the body plugs slightly and go through the driver side with a grommet and snake the harness through the dash to the glove box (future goal to hide wires).