Just wanted to see if im right about my problem

Ok here is my scenario. I have an s14 with a redtop in it. I bought it maybe 2 months ago. It was set to about 14psi with a manual boost controller by the last owner and i have since brought it back down to stock. I am pretty sure he did not let it cool down when running hard either. In any case my car started smoking maybe a month ago. It looked like a whitish smoke. Only on idle.

It does not smoke right away when i turn the car on. After a few minutes of driving, it starts smoking if i am stopped at a light. There is a lot of smoke. When i rev it up to 1700 rpm or once i start driving, it stops. After a run on the highway, it does not smoke anymore even at all. I thought turbo and then i took it to a shop and they told me it was the rings after “inspecting” the turbo. I was ready to rebuild and decided to do some tests myself because I was not convinced that the shop actually did them.

Compression test was 150 across all cylinders (i think 147 cylinder 4). Also did the leakdown test and had little to no loss for all 4 cylinders.

So… is it a turbo? Everything I read says yes but I figured I would ask before I jump on one. If it is, i am thinking the disco potato. It seems to be all i need really.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read.

pull off the intake pipe off the turbo. and check the turbine in there for play side ways and in and out. i had no play sideways but play in and out just a little and the turbo was burning oil. and i got another 1 used it was burning coolent it also ended up having play, lucky for me i convinced the guy to give me a 1 day warranty.