ka hybrid setup

i am planing to do a hybrid set up using the ka24e block and ka24de head.
going to give it a try and see how it goes since i read that the KA24E pistons and rods do raise up the compression pretty high,and a direct swap. here is the link:http://www.nyssan.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t150.html

what do you guys think of this set up with ported and polished head with 3 angle valve job,and built block.wonder how much power it will put out with fully built motor.

The 91 cams will work for you, I always thought that the ka24e was lower compression and the ka24de was higher compression but I haven’t really researched this too much, I’ll check around a bit more tomorrow though.

yea sme here. i am still doing some research.

the difference is in the piston design.

KAE’s are domed pistons, DEs are dished. Putting domed pistons where there used to be dished = higher compression.

So put KAE pistons in an NA KADE for more snap, and DE pistons in an E and run boost.

I’ve “heard” across the “always reliable interweb” that it pushes the compression ratio way up.

If anyone cares enough, I can sit down and calculate it if someone has access to decent engine hard part specs (IE FSM). I can’t be bothered to do all the work :wink:

E pistons in a DE raises the Compression ratio to 11 - 1 over the 9.5 - 1. I wanted to do this before but gas is too high, would also have to running a higher octane.

11:1 would be pretty sweet. Pump gas will run it. With a balanced assembly, super light flywheel, 300+cams, decent valvesprings.

Would probably rev quite nicely.

Is this a true number or just a best guess?

True number if you want to get technical its like 11.1-1. I have the pistons just haven’t done it yet.
I also have heard don’t know how true this is though but only 89 pistons have this not the 90 pistons. I have also heard that only 89 pistons that were made in 88 have this, again I have no clue whether that is true or not.

or buy a ca and turn up the boost.

agreed

theres alot of threads on nico about this head swap on the sohc block and also the swappin sohc pistons which is probably a huge bitch to do, im pretty sure theres pictures also from what i can remember. Read it a long time ago, i remember the guys had problems running it but that was probably over a year ago. goodluck with it

Heh, it didn’t happen to have a purple valvecover and aluminum painted block did it?

Fully built? You could probably push it to 220+ whp.

Comparing a used motor with more boost to a scratch built performance engine …

Kinda like the difference between snapping your bean vs. nailing something nice.

You might get off faster, but it’s usually barely worth the effort.

different production date sohc’s had different pistons actually. i cant remember which was higher compression and which was lower but there is a difference. i remember it was rather easy to find the info on it when i cared too look.

i just did the swap you have to grind quite a bit of material off the tensioner & a bit off the timing cover but the swap works and it spins the tires good but i just got talk into a turbo so if you want to swap parts i need a stock de timing cover and tensioner and you need modified ones i’ll swap ya for it my block is crack or something and I’ve got the de on the floor but i broke the cover a while back hell i might even give you money for them and give you my parts i dont’t need them

Great use of punctuation Jonah.

I’ve heard the same thing about this. I can’t confirm it but that’s what my friend read up earlier.

it got the point across didn’t it
oh ya it wasn’t directed to you