KA24DET

Hi,

I’m looking to turbocharge my ka24det…and I’ve searched but havent found any info on it here…and I’m looking for pretty much a homemade or junkyard style set up as I have only around $1000 to spend on it…

So can anyone help me out on what parts exactly I can use like turbo wise and manifold and intercooler…fabrication and install will be done on my own with a friend so any info would be appreciated…

Also I’m not looking for huge horsepower gains…just something around 200-220HP…just want a lil more get up and go and I dont want to go crazy on boost and blow my engine…

Good luck with your $1000, You could probably get a manifold, downpipe and turbo nothing else. Seriously just save up another $800 and get a CA18DET.

agreed

You’ll need a little more than $1000.

Ohhh okay…

I thought it could be done since my buddy turboed his d16y Civic with around $500 in used parts…

Guess back to research and saving up I go…

if you make a custom manifold with piping welded together, my cousin did it for his cavalier(ultra gay car, but still fast) and you’d have to find an intercooler from an old subaru or something. you’d have to junkyard it but it could be done, but like the old saying goes, “You get what you pay for.” oh and your engine is a ka24de not a ka24det, t = turbo and it is turboless at the moment.

If you have some good welding and fabricating skills and are able to find used parts for cheap you might be able to do it for a grand. But dont expect the engine to last too long with out some fuel management.

2-3 psi on stock fuel system. with an FMU you can run up to 7 can’t go above 10 on stock bottom end. 10 psi would net you around 250ish depending on motor condition. i seriously thought about this as an alternative to an SR,CA or RB but its just not as strong of a motor (my opinion of course).

search and read the countless topic between two engines and decide what you want to do with it

is it black? if so its poo, go with a factory turboed motor.

ps. rs13 is 100% correct.

Yeah,

I’ve been in the KA-T.com forums and alot of ppl are saying get a fuel tuning system first and foremost so I’m gonna be looking round for a Apexi SAFC

The main thing I’m concerned about is the turbo manifold…nobody up here can fabricate me one so I’m guessing I gotta buy a brand name one…other than that…turbo and intercooler choices are easy…

But thanks for all ur info guys…

But I’m not gonna go crazy on the boost or anything…thats why I’m getting a small turbo…maybe a used sr one…t25…if I blwo the motor…I can just swap in another ka24de for cheap…abotu $500-$650 ish …

try apexi modified fot an mani. i thought someone had one for single slammer. i looked into a kadet for almost one year and i figured out to acheive the power i want its not worth it. lookin for 250-270 ish. that mean rebuild and LC pistons and shit. not worth it for me. this is what i found out
low power below 200 NA KA’s rule
Low mid 200-250 CA/SR
250-350 SR/RB
300+ is RB or KA-T

just my opinion tho
almost ended up going ka-t but something is commin my way which could be better

hahaah KA

a friend of mine has a ka-t manifold for a sohc

CA and SR can get you alot more power out of stock internals than on a KA and have a ton more aftermarket turbo support to build up and for alot cheaper than KA parts

I would say to wai a few years till there has been a reliable KA tuning and hardware setup so that it wont be an endless money pit trying to buildup a KA …
ask that boostinfested guy regarding his car as he has a nice KA-T setup

http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-c/engine/engine0027.JPG[/list]

I’m not sure but I think the KA24DE that comes in the U13 Altimas has low compression pistons right from the factory. I think they are 8.5:1 ? ?

I was actually thinking of swapping in 9.5:1 pistons made for the 240’s KA if I ever had to rebuild my KA (205,000 K already)

I’m not sure but I think the KA24DE that comes in the U13 Altimas has low compression pistons right from the factory. I think they are 8.5:1 ? ?

I was actually thinking of swapping in 9.5:1 pistons made for the 240’s KA if I ever had to rebuild my KA (205,000 K already)[/quote]
I always heard that the altima had slightly higher copmression tham the KA24DE that came in the 240sx.

I was actually thinking of swapping in 9.5:1 pistons made for the 240’s KA if I ever had to rebuild my KA (205,000 K already)[/quote]

All Kade’s are 9.5:1, ka-e’s are 8.5:1 I am planning on running 15psi, but it depends on a few things. Stock MAF, and how much my 550cc will support up to, stock MAF will be maxed but i have Emanage with their map sensor. Anything without boost will be stock tuned, Emanage will over take when it sees boost.

i have stock internals, its all about how you tuning it. i’ve seen a ka made just over 400hp with stock internals and high miles. This guys uses AEM EMS.

With $1000, its pretty getto. good luck.

Yeah for $1000 its pretty ghetto…

Just wondering if it could be done…so far…I’m guessing no…cuz manifold is already around $300-500 and the Apexi SAFC I need is $450-500…and just wanted to see if turboing the KA would be cheaper than going the SR route but I’m guessing doin the KA would cost more and in the end have less horsepower…but we’ll see…more researching I go…

http://www.fastandfuriouseast.com/galleries/kylebennet240sx/default_sub1.php

Heres a dudes KA24DET thats nice…puts out 417HP

Saw that my friend could turbo his with only $500 in parts and his runs pretty good too and thought it could be done to mine too…but I guess the KA is more difficult to source used parts…

And yeah Boost Infected setup is pretty nice…saw it in person one time…never riden in it tho…

ROFL, less hp? are u kidding me? 2.4L will make more power than a 2.0L why cause its turboed from the factory?

that guys has a done up KA, i was talking bout this guy, http://www.phatka-t.com/s13s14.htm

SRslayer,
good luck.