ka24 easy mods?

hey guys, sorry I really hate asking questions like these because I am not dumb when it comes to cars, but are there any easy or free mods to do to a stock ka24det? my car has a s14 ka in it if that makes a difference? also it has a megan racing intake and filter already, this is my first nissan so please dont flame too much :stuck_out_tongue:

this car is getting turned into a drift car so if you have any tips at all please im all ears and ready to learn.

thanks
Jordan.

Easy mods… the only thing easy is putting together a budget turbo kit, but honestly imo if i were you i would save up and just swap it for an RB or SR

ppl always say u can put together a cheap kit for the ka, but cheap is unreliable. Your gonna end up spending a lot of money. So if your prepared to spend up to 3g on a fast and reliable ka24det do it, otherwise get an sr or rb like nick said.

not flaming,

ka is for the engine series or whatever you want to call it
24 is for 2.4 liter
d is for double over head cam
e is for fuel injected
t would mean its turboed,

there isnt really any way to make a noticeable amount of power other than spending money,
turbo it and make an easy 200hp, spend about $1100 by the time you get everything to turbo it.
keep it naturally aspirated, waste a fuckton of money, then realise you just wasted alot of time, nobody has really broke 200hp naturally aspirated other than trophy trucks and full blown road course racecars

my suggestions, drive it around how it is, dont try to cut wires and shit to make 4hp, it won’t be worth it,
save up ~$2000 or more then consider either turbo the ka or go with an sr

if your just looking for something to do on your car thats free. look into ditching that block in the clutch line, supposedly it makes the pedal feel better.

You can paint the valve covers.

^ yep thats exactly what i mean. Your looking to not spend lots of money or any at all; and cheap wont be reliable…so id say doing a swap will be the cheapest route to go. There is a full rb20 swap for sale on here for $1000 and for about $500 more you could find yourself a rb25 swap, or SR swap, whatever you like…

Spend time and do a real good cleaning, do regular maintenance on it, remove the emissions BS if you want. Other than that theres nothing worthwhile that is “cheap or free” that will be of any benefit. Save up and do it right with proper parts. especially if its going to be a “drift car”.

haha alright thanks guys looks like i will just save 2k and buy the kit off 2jzswap.com and throw my supra’s na motor into it and boost it over time. Im not a fan or the sr20 my friend had one rebuilt 4 times before he switched back to his turbo ka. The only reason atm im looking for cheap mods is because im heading to school soon for my 1st year mechanics otherwise it really wouldnt be an issue to spend 5k on it. is it worth doing the headlight vent mod? would it make a big difference in engine temps?

also never ment to say det it was a typo lolol

thanks
jordan.

Here are some cheap/free “mods”:
Clean engine (degrease)
Paint valve covers or other visible items
Homemade intake
New air filter
Timing chain rattle fix
Tune up (Oil change, sparks, wires, cap, etc.)

^It’s an inline 4, we only have one valve cover. :wink:

LOL… thats right. just one valve coveR

XD

you mentioned you’re not dumb when it comes to cars, but i guess i’ll just add…

think of your ka like any other 4 cyl, NA, japanese engine. you can dump as much money as you want on bolt-ons like aftermarket intake systems or catbacks, but you’re dealing with pocket change in terms of hp, and you essentially just spent money on changing the sound your car makes, at best better throttle response. you asked if there are any mods you can do that will make a difference? sure, there are tons of mods that will make many differences but not in the hp department. remember, you have a 2.4 liter 4 cyl, not 7 liter v8.

this is the answer you’re looking for
http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/3777/giantturbosok0.jpg

^ This. The only way your going to get a noticeable power difference is by going forced induction, anything else you do is essentially negligible in terms of power. Not to say they’re bad upgrades, they’ll just result in a more reliable and smoother motor, not faster. KA’s can be made fast, check http://www.ka-t.org/ for all kinds of useful info and crap.

Cheap, Reliable, Fast. Pick 2.

Also. I want dat turbo

eBay header - complete 3" exhaust , emission delete , s13 exhaust cams u should be able to put down 150-160whp

Buy this.

:slight_smile:

give me 500 bucks.

+1 for dylan, better flowing exhaust increases hp, also it will sound better

Actually KAs have broken 200whp naturally a long time ago many times already. Just it’s not for every day rides.

NA KAs are fun. Especially in a lightweight car. Mine is stripped down so that helps every bit. Others like S30s, the older retro nissans, with ITBs and other fancy shmancy stuff, they cane be fun and sound great. I love mine. But you can’t be serious and expect v8 like bolton performance on an NA KA :slight_smile: SRs and RBs are getting pretty old although everyone still loves them… even though magically their prices remain high. I would rather opt for something more modern like a VQ or a number of chevy v8 motors. There is a 5.3liter all aluminum v8 u could drop instead of spending tons of money on an SR or RBs (getting one, reconditioning, upgrading, etc…) Ah well opinions are plenty. Just don’t expect to make lots of power on the cheap from a KA, although the end result is fun, it’s up to you.

I’ve got a 91 KA24DE which comes with the most aggressive stock cams, dc sports 4-2-1 ceramic coated headers, custom exhaust setup with magnaflow bits, intake, different spark plugs, thicker spark wires, timing advance, tune, stiffer engine/tranny mounts, aluminum driveshaft, race flywheel (9lbs if i recall), cerametallic puck clutch, upgraded distribution, quicker gearing via hlsd swap, a few other things i honestly cant even recall now. The car is fun on track, very responsive (I love NAs) but… all that money spent coulda went to other things :slight_smile: Personally I just think of them as a down the road investment when i sell all the little fancy bits and pieces and get a better motor. But just keep this in mind, it’s not cheap. Oh and lol I run it with 94 octane but its tuned sooo… yeah it’s a bitch then if you really look at it. But it is fun as it feels all very responsive :slight_smile:

Also those who broke 200whp+ had to do lots of creative internal work. That’s pretty much all and sums it up.

Best upgrade for a ka is taking it out and putting in a sr

I laugh when people put higher octane gas in their stock motor. It will make no difference. The only time higher octane gas is required is when you up the compression pretty much.

Disagree, get about ~100 to 150 km more per tank when using 91, extra mileage offsets the higher price