What can you do to a KA for extra power without a TURBO

What can you do to a bone stock KA to make it put out more power,something noticable.I have a turbo set up for one of my 240s but I want to see what my opions are for an NA-KA24DE.
Any ideas or proven mods would be awesome.
Thanks

your looking for n/a power?if so,go with intake,headers,cams,valve springs,valve stems,port and polish,high comp pistons,tuning and if you like a individual throttle body set up.with 11:1 compression i think you would be around the 200whp mark with this set up.hope that helps.

Cold Air Intake… Injen had an SRI kit, with an optional CAI fitting, but the CAI attachment was discontinued on the KA24E. You might still be able to find them for the KA24DE.

Other than that, stick to a 2.25" - 2.5" exhaust, mandrel bent obviously better.

Don’t expect much though… KA’s were designed for trucks and Nissan only put them in the Stanza, Altima and 240’s because the CA18DET and SR20DET counterparts those cars had in Japan wasn’t in compliance with the emissions shit we have here… :confused:

oh and a cat back exhaust,larger throttle body and maf from a q45

Push your car down a hill, that’s the only way you can make an NA KA faster. Around 200whp is a daydream, whoever got near there was setting record numbers on race fuel, the most people actually get is 160-170whp.

i agree.saw one on youtube with 12:1 compression,is obvious he was using race fuel.heres the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BmLsIZ69E

Q45 throttle body will bolt right up?does the maf work on the stock s14 ecu.
Do headers really add power though
Thanks for the ideas, but keep 'em coming
Thanks

i’m surprised no one said nos yet

that would be the first thing that cmes to mind for me

2.65 stroker kit :slight_smile:

Advance timing, NOS.

Just talk to an engine builder.

He will give you your answer.

No bigger than 2.5" exhaust. Keep it as straight as possible. A good CAI. (K&N, INJEN, etc) cams fo sho. Shave the head down a couple thou. Port and polish + 3-angle valve job. Rebuild bottom end, stroke it, bore it .20 over.

You can get 200whp from a KA. All depends how much money you want to spend.

change your final drive

Talk to Vlad. He was running a high compression KA and it went…I guess, sounded cool to.

i got 160whp with boltons

ebay intake , 4-2-1 headers , ported intake manifold, testpipe and 3" exhaust, all emissions removed and advanced timing

Almost right almost wrong, bu theres 3 ppl now with 200whp+ KAs… and no its not cheap or for just anybody.

There’s also 300whp+ SOHC KAs that can be built but those most definetely are race only.

Realistically most people push between 150-190whp with nothing too fancy.

As was mentioned intake, exhaust+testpipe (contrary to popular belief KA likes 3.0 its just loud as shit), 4-2-1 headers (definetely make a dif too but extra noise), underdrive crank pulley, advancing timing and running higher octane

They are all small bits… but add up, however the price adds up too, so unless you’re really into spending money for something for yourself thats different or with a different goal dont expect alot of power.

The KA is very rich… so tuning is a definite way to make extra power… nistune is what im looking for… a shop locally tunes it and can get it… not expensive all being said and done… Imho its the most $/hp cost effective considering the above mods cost almost as much and not as much gains.

Its the all around effect that gains u most power.

In regards to higher compression pistons/etc… surprisingly it doesnt do much for the KA… unless u change around everything…

A fully counter weighed crank would be beneficial in a build like this and revving past 8k (been done…) but now you see how expensive shit really gets.

More than 190whp is just wanting to rape your wallet.

Turbo is the way, or as most of son240 will tell u, sr20det is the way :wink:

I like my NA KA, but just for now :slight_smile:

Bottom line is read alot of greaser’s work.

Follow other’s NA builds they are mostly on freshalloy:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=181913

Check Greaser’s threads. He is the one that broke the 200whp amongst the fellow general enthusaists. Race KAs have pushed 300whp but thats not in the realm of the regular joe.

Bigvinnie also did some NA KA work. He discovered that running an n62 frees up the top end and makes it smoother, he’s got dyno sheets and all… so more food for thought.

Nope.

SARCASM WARNING FOR AHMED. THAT WAS SARCASTIC.

Yes, headers add power. Or rather, make the it easier for the motor to make power. I know a couple people that have run hotshot headers, and have noticed a fairly marked improvement.

Hedders add necessary back pressure.

In turn allowing you to run what ever size exhaust you really want

No need for a cat with a hedder.

Hedders are more torque and fuel mileage than any thing else.

ive still yet to see any proof of these “300hp” sohc ka’s.

and greaser was using e85

Can you get the stock ecu CHIPPED,or change the air fuel ratio without a stand alone unit?.
Does anyone have a Q45 throttle body for sale?If it’s a fair price I would buy it