What can you do to a KA for extra power without a TURBO

He switched to e85 but you’re right. That’s not race gas its eco friendly gas :wink: lol we just dont have it easily available… otherwise it’d be awesome to run…

Nistune is exactly that… a standalone based on the oem ecu… look it up.

The pic i posted was from a GT3 s14 this is an s13:

http://www.bmandm.com/images/IM000068.JPG

Again of course not practical for daily use hence… 190whp is the upper practical limit… that is all.

That is fucking intense.

Thing must sound like a fart out of god’s arse.

wow thats impressive looking.

i still have no idea how is possible though.

stroked? 13:1 compression? magic valvetrain? lol

i need dyno charts or something. but holy fuck i bet it sounds nice

You guys are noobs… Do any of you even have a clue as to why those GT3 KA’s are so fast?

No, its not the compression, the ITB’s/carbs, none of that bull…

Take a look at the first pic… What do you see?

Answer: A NISMO sticker.

Take a look at the second pic… What do you see?

Answer: MORE STICKERS!

Get it?

That’s all you need! Stickers! FACKK… Everyone knows that stickers make the car go faster…

^this LOL

1 sticker adds 10whp didnt you know

^^^ This is true, I pu 10 stickers in my engine bay and pulled a Ferrari.

Not enough

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2565896769_4956159d8c.jpg

So powerful it flies.

So 2 more people got there, big whoop. It’s still a pointless pipe dream. The KA in its naturally aspirated form is nearly worthless.
Putting FI aside you make power in the following ways:
Displacement: 2.4 is okay, but without other factors, it’s crap.
RPM: The KA has too much stroke to rev reliably at higher RPM
Airflow: This is linked to RPM, both these need to be present, or power will drop off instead of going up at higher RPM. Again, unfortunately, the KA heads are damn near worthless.

Seriously, if you compare this to any real performance minded 4 cyl, you’ll realize how worthless it actually is. It has one fucking redeeming quality, in that it’s made of iron, and can take boost pretty well when you build it. There is nothing else good about this motor. It’s a heavy piece of crap, it’s awful on gas, and sucks at making power without a turbo.

I find your opinions of the KA null.

If it really is a worthless piece of crap, then justify why there’s people on this forum that have turbo’d KA’s, justify why there’s a website called KA-T.org, justify why the KA design was even brought into production in the first place.

I find your grasp of the English language null.
If some day you manage to get to a Grade 3 reading level, go through my post again. You’ll notice that I said that it’s ONLY REDEEMING QUALITY is it’s ability to take boost.
So yea, you can do TWO things with a KA. Turbo it, or scrap it.

My KA was better than my Cavalier on gas. The problem with the KA IMO is that it’s a truck engine, and that shows in it’s design and lower rpm range. It’s not as free revving or as smooth as my RB and lacks torque off boost in comparision. I’d like to see a good KA in person. It seems a bit pricey to build a KA right, I am not sure if it’d be worth doing personally. Different strokes for different folks.

^http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_KA_engine

* 1989–1990 Nissan 240SX
* 1990–1997 Nissan Hardbody Truck
* 1990-1995 Nissan Pathfinder
* 1989–1992 Nissan Axxess
* 1990–1992 Nissan Stanza (USA-spec)
* 1989–1992 Nissan Pintara / Ford Corsair
* 1993-1996 Nissan Terrano 2 Europe
* 2000-2004 Nissan Xterra
* 1998-2004 Nissan Frontier
* 1993-2001 Nissan Altima
* 1991-1998 Nissan 240SX
* 1997-2000 Nissan R'nessa (4WD model, Japan)
* 1998-2001 Nissan Presage U30 (Japan)
* 1999-2001 Nissan Bassara U30 (Japan)
* 1993-1997 Nissan Bluebird U13
* Isuzu COMO (Japanese: Isuzu COMO)
* Nissan Largo

Welcome to my old world.

Building a HIGH power N/A KA isn’t too difficult… you just need to know how to do it right.

Some parts I was contemplating but cash flow didn’t let me, that’s why I went RB. KA’s are shit boosted in my opinion, but N/A they’re NAIIICEEEEE.

KADE Set-Up

Fuel Delivery
Walbro 255LPH
550 CC injectors
AEM Adjustable FPR

Head Work
BC 264 Exhaust Cam
BC 272 Intake Cam
BC Valves/Springs
Port and Polish and Enlarge openings in Head (KA’s stock flow characteristics are SHIT)

Bottom End
KAE Flat Top Pistons
KADE Crank

Intake
GSXR 1000 ITB’s
Convert to MAP sensor

Exhaust
Equal Length Manifold (4-2-1)
Stock 2.25" exhaust

Ignition System/ECU
Convert to Electronic Ignition with Splitfire Coils
MegaSquirt

Supporting Accessories
External Oil Pump
Mishimoto Rad
Flexalite Dual 12" fans
Oil Cooler

That’s from what I remember my way to get power out of a KADE, good for approximately 250hp or so, and can rev into 7000 RPM no problem. Only thing is bottom end, but you don’t need to worry that much about it as the car is not boosted. That setup there would run you about $3000-4000 with tuning and all.

Are you serious?

Being boosted is one of the reasons an aftermarket even exists for them…they’re not super advanced in any way. Modern yes, but not to the extent of their higher performance turbocharged counterparts. For example, they have a distributor and an emergency only knock sensor. Not to forget the half counterweight designed crankshaft. Only if QR25’s were put into 240’s, that would make a great torquey 4 banger setup.

If the tuning is done so that dangerous conditions are avoided, KA’s can be great platforms. You can also go standalone and have more sensors for active feedback to keep everything in check, but most people don’t get that far.

KA boosted are shit. For the price of a boosted KA done PROPERLY, you can have a N/A KA24 running circles around it with NO reliability issues.

I’m going to have to agree with Chris on this one^^^

Running circles around it? The only time I could ever see an NA KA hanging with a turbo one is if you’re doing parking lot cone humping. You would have to be the biggest newb to driving in the entire fucking universe if you lose to an NA KA with a turbo on any real track.

This is of course assuming similar mods on both cars. If the turbo car is bone stock other than boost, and the other is gutted, caged, coilovers, slicks, race alignment, etc… then it’s a different story obviously.

NA KA just plain sucks. I’ve been out on Shannonville full track with a really great driver that had a SOHC KA in his car, and he could pass almost any car in the corners, but as soon as we hit the back straight, they would just pass us again.
Sometimes people would even wave him through on the straight, and then wonder why he’s not passing them when they’re only at half throttle. It wasn’t for lack of trying, it’s just that underpowered of a POS.