Kayak owners ITT

because it cost less then a grand to get 400rwhp out of a ls1…

I don’t want to go fucking scuba diving. I have a hard time going more than 4 feet underwater in my swimming pool because of my damaged eardrum.

Underwater is scary, crab people are down there

since he is going to be drunk 100% of the time, it only makes since to bitch about a molded seat for no COMFORT.

but they run the krusty krab!

GTIStar’s cousin and I went kayacking today at Lawson’s lake

You’re probably looking at a 10-12’. Anything shorter and you’ll be exhausted and miserable getting anywhere. Longer and you wont be able to maneuver and transporting it is a PITA. You can still take a 12’ on rivers and in some moderate fast moving water, but no actual rapids. If you can find a place that rents them, try a few out at different lengths. Proper paddling form also keeps you from getting tired by only using your arms. You may know all that already, if so nm.

I’d also recommend one with a water sealed “trunk” area or at least get a waterproof bag (for sale everywhere kayaks are sold) for your stuff. I spent 7-8 hrs in a Pungo 120 last weekend that would be perfect for your use but the Wilderness stuff is expensive. This is a great thing to find used on Craigslist btw.

Good info.

What do you think about this Perception 9.5’?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3800628&cp=3677349.4192339.4192354

Either that, or the Perception swifty also has an attractive pricetag. I don’t want anything too big because like you said transporting them is a pita and also more expensive. The one at l.l. bean is a true 10’ but is a little bit more expensive.

It’s 1/2 a foot shorter then mine and it doesn’t have a storage compartment. The only plus thing that may interest you, is the padded seat. I still think the one I have that I recommended is the best bang for you buck. You can always add the pad on to the one I recommended, it has the punch outs for it. Plus, with the one i’ve recommended it has a storage compartment. I also picked up a dry storage container to put in the compartment to keep my keys in. Mine also has the foot stops inside of the kayak as well. (most kayaks should have them)

The only downside to my kayak is that it on the molded seat you have a cupholder and it doesn’t come with any elastic hardware to secure your beverage in. There are punch outs where you could put elastic to hold a beverage in.

I’ve never been in that one, but the Perceptions I have been in have been well made. The cheaper ones lack features like storage compartments and cup holders but just get a waterproof bag and throw it behind the seat.

9.5’ is shorter than ideal but it depends on the shape of the bottom of the boat. Perception is common, call around to rental places and see if you can get in one. Shorter kayaks suck on smooth water because you have to work harder to go the same distance. Shorter ones also dont track as well and each paddle stroke throws you a little off course. Might not be an issue with this one but it’s worth figuring out. 12’ is a real nice size for lakes and calm water, makes life easy.

I stopped at EMS today to physically look at these things and compare.

The Perception 9.5 is GARBAGE, fucking tiny and looks like a little tikes version of a Kayak.

They have an old town 10’ that looks decent, and a wilderness systems 10’.

The one that really caught my eye is this:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3668238

It’s on sale and is a tad over 500 after tax. :ponder

Pungo 120 for $500? Buy now, no question. Is that sale posted anywhere? I know other people who would jump on it.

The 20% off sale is posted on EMS’s website. The base price for the Pungo 120 is cheaper in the store.

My mistake, it was the WS Pamlico 120 that’s on sale for 515+tax. Basically the same boat as the Pungo but with a better seat and that front dashboard storage thing.

I sat in them at the store and that dash thing seems like it would get in the way out on the water, but maybe it’s just me.

Grew a set and bought a 'yak today.

First went to the bean and looked at their selection. Slim, and they didn’t have the Pamlico 120 in stock. They had their name brand but was still pricey.

Stunted over to EMS and sat in the Pamlico 120, Pungo 120, and Carolina 12. After sitting in all 3 and staring at them side by side, I made my decison. It was between the Pungo120 and Carolina 12. I almost bought the pungo because the front bulkhead/storage dashboard was pretty nifty, but the Carolina 12 just felt better and is more of a touring kayak than the Pungo. Oh, and they even honored the 20% off the kayak and 15% off the carrier and ricer carbon fiber paddle. :rofl The sale ended July 27th.

http://content.backcountry.com/images/items/large/PER/PER0081/RD.jpg

Looks like that, but it’s blue and white.

My friend is getting one tomorrow too which is cool. I can’t fucking WAIT to go to fish creek with it and stunt around. :beer

If anyone wants to go kayaking tomorrow or sometime next week, drop me a PM. :banana

I will make sure to try to hook you when you row past me on the shore at staferds bridge

I went to lock 7 this afternoon for a little bit just because I could NOT wait any longer to use the yak. I opted to go below the dam, which wasn’t a bad idea but it wasn’t a GOOD idea either because I had to carry the thing around 200 yards before I could put it in the water.

Once I got going, it only took me a couple minutes to adjust myself to the boat. The thing moves along pretty quick, and glides much further than my Old Town canoe once you stop paddling. It could be a little more stable I suppose, but it’s a kayak not a fishing boat.

Overall I’m happy with my purchase and can’t wait to take it up to fish creek in 2 weeks when I go camping. My friend is convinced and now we’re going to EMS tomorrow to purchase another. :rofl

I went to Fish Creek Pond near Saranac Lake last weekend with the Kayak. Our campsite was right on the pond, which was nice because you could just put-in right there at your campsite without having to carry or drive to the boat launch.

My friend also brought his Pamlico 120 along for the trip. Yep, both 12 foot kayaks were transported on the roof of my 2 door Chevy Cobalt. :rofl The girls didn’t have their own boats, but on Saturday they borrowed two from their family that were staying a ways up from us, so they didn’t even have to pay rental fees. This eventually led to bumper-boats, paddle racing, spinning people out, and other shenanigans. Mucho fun.

Here’s some pictures I thought I’d share for the sake of this thread:

![y u no edit license plate?!](y u no edit license plate?!)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs380.snc4/44361_423307056015_567931015_5381420_6207520_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs194.ash2/45720_423307386015_567931015_5381453_7332780_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs194.ash2/45720_423307391015_567931015_5381454_5827441_n.jpg
The picture doesn’t show it, but this was at a ‘camp at your own risk’ campsite we paddled up to, where the creek widens considerably before branching off into a new section. There’s also a fairly large pond/backwater just right of the picture.

If you’ve never been here before, the first thing you’ll probably notice is how clean and CLEAR the water is everywhere. If you look close enough at the last picture, you can get somewhat of an idea. I was amazed at how I could spot fish several feet below the surface, even without polarized glasses. At night, I was highly amused by standing on our beach with my maglite and “hunting” for fish. :rofl

Digging his thread up.

Have been trying to get into this, does any of you actually take lessons? Just wondering, I think there is a place around here that sell kayaks and do tours and lessons.

Pussies take lessons. There is nothing to kayaking around here at all. Just avoid the hudson river nothing of Lake george and you will be fine. Only training you need is for white water and thats not even fun anyway