Known Problems with gsxr 600 or yamaha r6

Im looking into to buying one of these bikes and im not sure on any known problems or things to be on the lookout for. The years would be around 03-07. Any help would be greatly appreciated

06-07 r6 and r1 had issues with rods being incorrectly sized from the factory. Many spun rod bearings.

both are very uncomfy…

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

everyone will have their own opinions on the mechanical issues that every piece on machine has. If it has tits or wheels it can fuck up. Make your decision based on your riding position, comfort, and features that suit you best. Nobody can make an argument that one is more reliable than the other. Those two bikes are pretty much the most commonly sold and ridden bikes in the world. Go look around and drag your ass on some bikes at a dealer or on craigslist. Ride them if you have a license. Its just like a car.

I’d prefer a 636 over those two, but thats just me. I’d even take a 600rr over them, but it would be like 636…600rr…r6.gsxr

Exactly my sentiments, except I switched r6 to dead last.

The known problems have mostly been the owners.

What ryan said… r6’s from 06+ are shitty street bikes, 16k redline doesnt make for a well mannered street bike… especially when you put a loud exhaust on it.

17K or nothing…

Uhh… Juat?

ok you can make an argument but like with a car it will be based on previous experience rather than facts.

I think I see what you’re trying to say, but why aren’t personal experiences considered facts? Trends [regarding reliability of particular bikes] expierenced in ones’ own personal experience usually tend to reflect trends of the entire population.

+1 Any particular reason that you’re sold on getting a gixxer or r6?

ive been looking at 05-08 r1’s and r6’s, i like the way they look, but what is this rod bearing problem?

yes i think we are on the same page.

i worked at yamaha/suzuki dealer for 4 years. There was no correlation between brand name and reliability

:shoot: cyclops

03 to 05 r6s need a damper, they had a very nervous chassis as does the 03 04 636…

I’m not a fan of the gsxrs pre 04… aesthetically. But in 04 they got pretty, and slower lol.

well thanks everyone I didn’t all this feedback lol

I’m a huge fan of the 636 for obvious reasons, but I absolutely LOVE the new 600rrs, as well as the older models.

R6…eh, watch 2nd gear slip in early 2000 models

GSXR…watch for polished swingarms and fairing spikes… :wink:

If you find a cheap gsxr though, lemme know. I’ll buy your wheels/front forks off it.

on a side note can someone suggest a good sportbikeforum to look for used bikes? Willybeen possibly? Lookin to pick one up in spring.

craiglist, or the specific forum for the bike you want. You might find some deals on wera, but most are track bikes.