Ksport coilover owners, post your experience

Hey guys, I just ordered up a set of Ksport Kontrol pro full coilovers for my 00 EM1 Civic. They are on back order for 2 weeks, so I guess I have a little bit of time to change my mind lol. I found a few people on H-T that said they blow out fast, but they could be the idiots that drive around layin frame and shit… Im prob only gona lower mine about 1.5" with them.

Please post your experiences with Ksports.

Thanks, Matt

i have been running them on the 240 for a few years now… Bang for the buck they are pretty decent.

just understand its not going to ride like a yukon xl…

I’ve had mine for about 2 years now. No complaints other then it needs corner balanced and properly leveled.

Just get ready for a bouncy ride :slight_smile:

imo, be better off w/ koni’s and ground controls or bilstein and ground controls. proven setup that has no drawbacks. look on ht for shock dyno’s to compare. if it is to good to be true, it is.

not saying that normal driving the ksports wont hold up–im sure they will. yet i dont know if i’d trust them.

Is this car a DD? If so I would definitely go with a spring and shock combo. Coilovers are harsh as hell in a DD.

Ksport broke into the market making ‘performance parts’ for cavaliers. Please derail your current thought train.

I went with BC Coilovers, gonna be installing next month, People say their better for DD. even tho come winter 09 I’ll probably have this in the garage to be beercanned

Remember me saying this very same thing to you Matt?

if your only going to lower it 1.5" why not get a nice set of eibach’s and some koni or tokico shocks

thats what i did on my 97 civic never had any issues and still rode nice

Yes, it is a DD.

I had Tokico Illumina’s and Skunk 2 coilovers on my EG, I absolutely loved them!

Really, I went with Ksport’s cause they were relatively cheap and fully adjustable.

I dont want to buy a spring / shock and then not be happy with the ride height… but I dont think I can afford new Koni/GC setup… and then Im a little skeptical about buying used suspension over the internet.

on my rally slut i run bilstein hd w/ skunk 2’s sleeve kit. i only went w/ skunk 2 because was cheaper–yet appears to be of same quality as gc. i have ground controls on my vw.

i know retail per corner is 150-- so 600 in struts. add another 275 for springs. so 875 retail-ish. i got a break on the struts getting them at cost, but the coilover sleeves i got nailed full retail.

koni’s should be cheaper than bilsteins. also both carry way better warrantys than the ksport.

i LOVE my k-sports, i have no issues with them and my car is hammered, for the money you can’t beat them i’ve had them on my 92 4 door, my 00 hatch and now my 95 coupe. My girlfriend also had them on her 03 mazda protege and the only issue was the pillowball mounts began to squeak after 3 1/2 years.

If you are going to go with coilovers and don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount here is another reason why k-sports are going to be your best bet.

As you can see, in the example with these skunk2’s they are just an over glorified ebay coilover, leaving extreme amounts of strut travel, resulting in a bouncy ricer shit ride and blown $700 coilovers.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/mugencivic117/K-sportgoodness.jpg
with the k-sports ride height is adjustable using the shock body, leaving no gap between the strut hat and the spring, making it more durable and a better handling suspension.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/mugencivic117/0c476644.jpg my 4 door with k-sports

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/mugencivic117/hatchturnpike.jpg
my hatch with k-sports

I don’t have any new pics of the coupe, but it’s about a half inch lower than the hatch. I’d wait the two weeks, you can see the examples of where i’ve had my cars set, on the hatch i have another inch of adjustability before i’m maxed fully down, and now matter where its set it never rides worse, unlike your other options. Or with a spring/strut combo, its a crap shoot whether you will be fully satisfied with the drop.

and sorry about the jumbo sized pics, computers > me

Only complaint with Ksports is the REALLY cold days it SUCKS to drive on them. Warm days = feel wonderful

if it dd, dont waste your money

I really like this idea, equals no blown out struts due to being compressed all day when lowered.

Ride height itself has zero effect on shocks blowing. Most shocks blow due to not having enough travel or valving insufficient to handle the springs on them (sometimes a combination of the two). Lots of people try to get that “slammed” look by lowering the car really far. If you do that, you reduce the travel of the shock to almost nothing…so close to the bumpstops that you essentially bounce off of them all day. This particular situation can be corrected by using extended shock hats and also by eliminating the collar holding the brake lines (this allows the shock body to be pushed lower in the fork).

A shock does not care where it sits in it’s range of travel, but it does not like being close to the ends of it’s travel. All a shock does is resist movement (in either direction) at a given rate dependant on it’s valving. High rate spring + low rate valving = BLOW, same with the reverse.

got the dspec ksports on my ae86 they are a bit rough for dd but all in all i have no complaints

thats what i was thinking. if you have your car lowered say 2.5" its almost out of travel so you need to get extended top hats to get some travel back rather than having say 1-2" of travel and hitting the bump stops all day.

I also thought that having such little travel put the shocks into more stress being compressed that far but i never did any real research on it. good to know.

so , after your useless words, how does ride height not cause them to blow,if the car is slammed that means less travel which results in blowing them…correct? unless the shocks are made to be ridden at that “slammed” height