KW V2's-great suspension, plastic parts?

Just curious if this is the only company to use plastic spindles (what is used to raise and lower the car) or if this is a common piece. I know on my friend’s honda civic, the spindles were made of metal.

Over the summer, I somehow broke off a piece of this plastic trying to lower my car a bit. It didn’t affect anything after driving it though, but kinda annoys me knowing i spent money on what I perceived to be a great company only to use plastic parts that break with ease.:shrug:

Anyway, I’m taking it to SCAP today to get the fronts replaced with my stock suspension for the winter hoping i can get a replacement for this piece.

plastic won’t fuse to the metal housing

exactly.

They used to be metal (i have metal V2’s) but they made the switch to plastic so they would spin free, and not freeze up as easily.

How the hell did you break part of the plastic?

hammer and screwdriver maybe??? I am surprised they switched to plastic that is a shock to me. I would think that perhaps they would just use a coating on the threads, or instruct people to perhaps spray them with WD-40 to prevent such problems like other manufacturers do :gotme: Plastic…hmm.

There are plenty of “plastics” that will work just fine in this situation when used as designed.

yeah. some engineered plastic is awesome shit…

I understand that, I guess I am more surprised that there are manufacturers willing to take the liability risk of putting that on a part critical to the stability of the vehicle…but then again im sure they have R+D into it.

interesting, my kw v2 have metal spindles as well. The anti-seize I applied a year or two back is still allowing them to move freely…

Guys,

I have a set sitting in front of me. Its a metal spindle molded into plastic. The actual threads are metal. The metal collar is imbedded into plastic for noise and corrosion reduction.

You just broke a peice of the outer plastic shell off. The insides of the “plastic” collar is aluminum.

I think they did this on all current INOX Stainless steel series coils. It has to do with German TUV standards and certification and performance on the salt spray test.

The plastic shelled spring seat prevents any galvanic corrosion between the steel spring and the aluminum seat. It also reduces noise any any potential spring binding.

I would not worry much. The coilovers exceed German TUV saftey specifications and has the certificate to prove it. Which is like a DOT specification in the US but more stringent. This is alot more than can be said about many other coils on the market.

http://www.uk.tuv.com/web/product_testing/automotive/02pt_automotive.html

I researched the crap out of these before I plopped down cash on them.

Some other intresting facts are:

-V1 Dampers are Koni Dampers
-V2 Dampers are Koni Valved in a KW stainless body.
-For strut models the brakets are not cut as a mirror image. They are cut identical. Meaning if your car uses a camber bolt. The passenger side camber bolt has to go in backwards to engage the cam lobe.
-If yours are equpiped with helper springs. They will compress solid under the weight of the car. Thier sole purpose is to allow height adjustment, additional rebound suspension travel, and to prevent the spring from popping.

“metal molded into plastic” would be plastic overmolding :wink:

good post

Good info :tup:

Jeller

Hit the nail on the head. The idiot I am attempted this b/c the spindle wouldn’t move. I eventually sprayed some 40 on it and it did move, slightly.

Thanks, Roby, Def good info to hear. :tup:

I was just about to reply to walters post when I read roby’s post about the metal in plastic. I was gonna say, plastic doesnt melt?